• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Yamabuki Ogon cross Gin Rin Platinum Ogon

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Good shine. And very good coverage of ginrin on those that are ginrin.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
      Yes, I was really hoping for a majority of ginrin. Not quite sure why the percentages were so low. Regardless, there are several with really nice ginrin. The mother is spectacular.

Here's a link to the food I'm using (been using it for several seasons). https://optimalfishfood.com/product/optimal-starter-2/
      I bought a bag of the Optimal food and have just about used up all 40#. Food is fine, but I can't see any difference in growth or interest in the food compared to any of the other big feed manufacturers I use including Purina, Cargill, Rangen, Skreeting or Hikari.

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Good shine. And very good coverage of ginrin on those that are ginrin.

Thanks Matt. I was planning to pull the rest of these today, but the weather didn't cooperate. I have a good number of these (probably about 150) many have very nice ginrin. Without a doubt the best outcome of the season. All the other crosses were somewhat disappointing, but I've gained knowledge and have plans moving forward.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Hey Sean,

On your cross of "Yamabuki Ogon (M) crossed Gin Rin Platinum Ogon (F)", do you have any updated photos or video showing how the colors are looking now?

I always like a back-up plan in case my the A-Team that I try to spawn does not work out. One B-Team that I've considered doing this same cross, except that my male and female types are reversed from yours. I am curious what they may turn out like.

Thanks,

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Matt,

No new pictures yet. Just based upon what I see looking into the tanks, it does not appear that the color has changed much. Some of the very small ones do seem to show a darker yellow, but the bigger and more desirable ones seem basically unchanged. I did see one of the larger ones showing a small patch of bright yellow right behind the head, but that was just one fish. I'll know more in about a month when these get moved into the main pond. I plan to use the female again this year, but haven't fully decided the male yet. I'm very pleased with the outcome from last year, but I'd like to experiment with a new crossing. If the new crossing doesn't work well, I'll go back to the previous Yamabuki Ogon male.

Good luck this season.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here are a couple of pics taken today. Starting to darken from the creamy yellow to a brighter yellow.

Name:  ogon_2021.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  ogon2_2021.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  95.7 KB

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

A good looking bunch!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's one of the koi from last spring's pairing. There are a couple that look like Kikokuryu. One in particular appears pretty decent. BTW, the "zipper" is Gin Rin. Is there such a thing as a "Gin Rin Ki Kikokuryu"?

Here it is swimming under it's mother.

Name:  20210724_112928 (2).jpg
Views: 294
Size:  116.6 KB

Another separated from the pack. Sorry about the quality of the photos!! In person, this one looks quite nice. I was going to cull all the scattered scales fish, but now I'm glad that I didn't. This is the kind of outcome that keeps me holding onto too many fish!!!!

Name:  20210724_112901 (2).jpg
Views: 246
Size:  62.0 KB

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice results so far, not shure of your location but a good way to find a home for the ones you intend on rehoming could be getting in touch with the koi show chairman nearest to you and ask him or her if he knows of any backyard koi breeders that sell koi at the show and see if they would be interested in selling them for you, negotiate a price with the vendor before the show. People like bling those are the first to sell from most tanks just an idea

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the input Orlando. I've never heard of a koi show in my area. Up around D.C. and down in NC, but noting locally, at least that I'm aware of. I've been selling them myself, but that becomes a hassle maintaining separate sell tanks and scheduling appointment, etc.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

... There are a couple that look like Kikokuryu. One in particular appears pretty decent. BTW, the "zipper" is Gin Rin. Is there such a thing as a "Gin Rin Ki Kikokuryu"? ...
      I don't see why not. I think there can be ginrin version of any koi. I like that one. It has a lot of flash.

But I am wondering if it is a ginrin kikusui (kikusui being the same as Doitsu hariwake)? Kikokuryu have sumi that ranges from a black pattern to a light gray dusting. Beni Kikokuryu and Kin Kikokuryu are the same way, but with an orange or yellow/gold pattern. Kikusui have no sumi, and are white with a yellow, orange, or red pattern.

I found this link describing the identifications: https://hanoverkoifarms.com/mistaken-identity/
      It distinguishes the sumi of kikokuryu from the sumi of other varieties as (1) sumi changing darkness with water temperature and other factors and (2) sumi on skin (not just the scales) and having a "dusting" appearance. Personally, I think the latter is the better characteristic to focus on, as it is fairly easy to see once you get used to it, and you don't have to wait 6 months to see if it changes with the season. Besides, not all kikokuryu change with the seasons. The sumi on my beni kikokuryu (below) hasn't changed in the 13 years that I have had hm. It always looks like the light phase. Note the dusting of gray in the white areas of the sides, fins, and face.

Attachment 609175

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Good lustre,tight gills, just look at those lovely shaped pecks,

Female gin?

Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I found this link describing the identifications: https://hanoverkoifarms.com/mistaken-identity/

Thanks Matt! That link was very informative - It's definitely not Kikokuryu. The differences between Kikusui & Doitsu Hariwake get somewhat technical, and I'm still a bit uncertain - I may need to go back and read it again when I have more time.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Good lustre,tight gills, just look at those lovely shaped pecks,

Female gin?
      Thanks for the feedback. Yes, that's the Gin Rin mother (Yamacho Gin Rin Platinum). That picture does not do her justice. She is VERY nice. The yellow tint on her head/eye seen in the photo is due to a reflection from her yellow baby swimming below her . Even in the peak heat of summer, she remains snow white.
      Last edited by spkennyva; 07-26-2021 at 06:13 PM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

... The differences between Kikusui & Doitsu Hariwake get somewhat technical, and I'm still a bit uncertain ...
      I see what you mean now. I had seen where that link referred to a koi as "kikusui AKA Doitsu hariwake", and thought they meant the terms are synonymous. Now that I look around at a few sites to see how they are defining Kikusui & Doitsu Hariwake, I no longer think they are synonymous, not exactly. Some are calling the yellow, orange and red Doitsu metallics all Doitsu hariwake. And many are calling only the orange or red ones kikusui, but not the yellow ones. From that, I get the impression that Doitsu hariwake includes them all and kikusui is a sub-set of Doitsu hariwake, and that the definition of kikusui varies a little depending upon who you ask (but most would say yours is not kikusui).

That link also seems to be implying that kikusui have lateral patterns but Doitsu hariwake have dorsal patterns. Yet that label one koi "kikusui AKA Doitsu hariwake" and another koi "Doitsu hariwake AKA kikusui (to some)"! Well, now that we have that cleared up!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's an update of the fish as of May 15, 2022. These are just a few of the highlights from this pairing. The same pair are in the spawning tank today hoping for a repeat performance.

Name:  20220516_113518.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  20220516_113804.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  20220516_123329.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  20220516_123352.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  20220516_185057.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  20220516_185127.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  77.5 KB

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very nice development on this bunch I specially like the fried eggs on the second picture, you have hit it out of the park with this group

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Beautiful group Sean! Hope you have a welding visor for looking at your pond on the sunny days!

I can sure see why you are looking to let that pair go another round.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Very nice development on this bunch I specially like the fried eggs on the second picture, you have hit it out of the park with this group
      Thanks Orlando!! Yes, I'm very happy with the outcome of this pairing. This pair have been in my spawning tank for 3 days and nothing.... Everything else has just blown up, but these two are not in the mood....

The real problem is that the whole family likes these so much that we don't want to let any of them go off to new homes... We're headed for a big yellow sparkly pond I guess that's not totally true, there's some white sparkly fish too

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Beautiful group Sean! Hope you have a welding visor for looking at your pond on the sunny days!

I can sure see why you are looking to let that pair go another round.
      Thanks Matt! I'll definitely start a new thread if we get a successful spawn of these two again.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast