• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi not eating for 4 days and hanging out by itself and one Goldfish bottom sitting

lajude is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Hungry

Koi not eating for 4 days and hanging out by itself and one Goldfish bottom sitting

I have a pond that I increased this year to 2000 gallons. I have 4 koi and multiple gold fish. The pond is cycled.

Parameters - .15 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, Nitrate between 40 and 80 (hard to tell on test solution), pH 7.6 - 8.0, KH 6 drops. Pond water is 71 degrees.
      I don't know why I am testing for small amounts of ammonia. Bought a new test kit today. I learned about pond keeping from your site and have been trying to keep all my parameters good. I test with API Freshwater Master Test kit.

I have been trying to get the Nitrates down with water changes and plants.

This koi has been sickly in the past. Last year I treated for ulcers 2 times when my water got bad in my smaller downstairs pond.
      He recovered. He is very small for being 6 years old. I have 3 other koi that are eating well and are large - 16" - 20". He is about 1/4 of the size he should be. He has never been a big eater. No ulcers or redness noticed on the koi. I haven't been able to catch him.

I also have one Goldfish that is bottom sitting and jumping out of the water from time to time.

Should I treat with Terminate (BSTD) and Fluke M?

I do not have a microscope yet.
      Thanks!!
      Laura
      Last edited by lajude; 1 Week Ago at 04:26 PM.

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can you share more about your pond, please? Rock bottom or no, type of filtration? How often do you do water changes and filter cleanings? Do you have aeration? Any new fish or plants in the last couple of months? How often and how much are you feeding?

It's always a good idea to test your source water out of the tap when you have an odd reading, as sometimes that's the problem.
      Mary

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just noticed you are having significant pH swings. Is that morning to night or what?
      Mary

lajude is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Hungry

Bare bottom. the Ph is constant. Use high range pH test. Can't tell by color of test tube what exactly it is. Usually the same color.
      2 waterfalls, skimmer box with mechanical filtration and 100 gallon skippy filtration for biological filtration.
      15 - 20% water change weekly.
      Skimmer Filters cleaned and rinsed with pond water weekly.
      I do have chloramines in my tap water so I dose with Prime extra when doing water changes.
      Floating Pond plants were added end of June from supplier that has fishless pond plants.
      Added 2 rosy reds that had been in my inside aquarium (1 year) to the pond after pond had been filled and sitting for over a week as test fish.
      Feed twice a day as much as they eat in about 5 - 10 minutes.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The shotgun treatment with Terminate and Fluke M would be advisable. Without a microscope to verify populations of parasites, and looking at the water quality readings, and pond maintenance routine, I would go ahead. I went to pH meter due to difficulty in measuring the pH by color. You can find a lot of them for fairly low price, just be sure to get the calibration solutions to check it periodically. Even if it is off by 0.1 or 0.2 it is still closer than most of our eyes can determine by color.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

lajude is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Hungry

Thanks Rich! I will start today.

NaturalK is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How many grams of Fluke M is in a tsp? I don't have a fine scale so just going off of density conversion.
      Thanks

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalK View Post
      How many grams of Fluke M is in a tsp? I don't have a fine scale so just going off of density conversion.
      Thanks
      Buy a scale.

https://www.amazon.com/Accuweight-Je.../dp/B07D3PWMSY
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better