• Tired

Thread: Sick baby koi

nsremmus is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sick baby koi

Hi everyone, new member.
      I recently moved into a new home (3.5 weeks ago) and inherited a koi pond which I love. The pond has a water fall and a filtration system which we clean about 2-3 times per week. The koi pond has 8 fish total, 7 are full grown adults, and one is a "baby" who is very small which the owner got at the end of last summer.

For the first 3 weeks living here he was thriving, swimming all over, eating at feeding time, acting completely normal compared to the other koi fish. For the last 5 days he doesn't come up to be fed and is "laying" at the bottom of the pond. He will swim around some but it's markedly different than before. All other koi continue to act normal.

I got water test strips and water quality seems to be in normal range. I have no idea how to help this little one. Any advice?

I honestly have no idea what the cubic ft is of the pond, I'm putting it on my husband to try and figure out.

msegger is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What's the values from the test strips? Would prefer to have the values from master api kit. Does the strip have a KH? Also, ammonia isnt on the test strips.

In the sun or shade? Temperature? Explain the filtration system in detail. Thanks

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks SO much for responding.
      GH: 40
      KH: 40
      PH: 7.5
      no2: .5ppm
      no3: 0

Also, we calculated the pond is about 600 gallon.
      The filtration is a pressurized filtration system, water comes in the top it then filters through two pads and bio balls, then comes out a water fall. We also have a bubbler. The UV light does not work.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I would really like to see results from a drop type test kit rather than the strips. The strips are notorious. With a KH of 40 if that is correct, the pH could very well be quite low in the early morning and quite high in late evening, but would be difficult to determine with the test strips. Also, if the pH is shifting that much, the filter is going through pH crashes which will kill the good bio bacteria that convert the ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate. With your fish load, which by the way is very high for that size pond as it is generally recommended that each fish should have about 250 gallons, making water quality even more important and sensitive. If the water is bouncing around, with high ammonia, then the fish is going to be stressed and not want to come up and socialize.

Look for the API Master Freshwater Test Kit and the API KH test kit.

Are you changing any water routinely, or just cleaning the filter. Hopefully the cleaning of the filter is being done with pond water to keep from killing the good bacteria with chlorinated or chloriminated water which will kill the good bacteria. Good test results will let us know.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

TurtleMommy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You calculated the pond at 600 gallons. Thatís small for koi. Can you give the dimensions of the pond (length, width, depth)?

And are you sure these are koi and not goldfish?
      Last edited by TurtleMommy; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:39 AM. Reason: Adding
      TurtleMommy

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

"Full grown" could mean a lot of things. It would be better to indicate the size (length of the fish). It would be very difficult to maintain good water quality for seven 24+ inch koi in 600 gallons unless you feed very lightly and have excellent oversized filtration.
      Get an API Master test kit and post your results.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for response. First, I think we miscalculated the pond size, and it's closer to about 2,000 gallons! (embarrassing) Sorry about that and thanks for the guidance.
      My husband went out this morning and is getting the API Master Freshwater Test Kit and the API KH test kit.
      Luckily we are cleaning the filters with clean pond water, good to know this is correct!

I will post the results of the master test kit today, and would be very grateful for more input, unfortunately the small koi fish continues to not seem well.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you, we absolutely calculated incorrectly and it's actually about 2,000 gallons, and they are koi! Thank you.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks so much! With everyone pointing out how small this seems we went back to the drawing board and miscalculated the gallon size, it's actually about 2,000 (oops, thankful people pointed this out so that we got it right). Doing master test kit this morning and will post update! Thanks so much and would be grateful for more feedback.