• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Koi Skin Condition - PHOTOS - Need help

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Russ has a lot of experience and doesn't need my input but looking up sunburned koi on a Google search
      will show you all kinds of things. I'm in WA where heaven knows the sun rarely is an issue and I've had sick
      fish with exactly the same issue. People blame it on the sun when in fact they probably have bacterial issues
      in their pond.

Name:  20170709_144527.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  42.5 KB

Here in WA it is very hard to get antibiotics. The fish shown got better with the use of Tricide Neo so you might
      order some just to have on hand. Also Oxolonic acid can be helpful. But I'd start with the water tests and eliminate
      that as a problem but have other meds on the way if they're needed.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
      I don’t wanna argue with anybody you’re just demanding me to accept that your analysis is correct. I’m just trying to rule out the options here obviously. And other answer suggested different things. I don’t know what it is that’s what I’m trying to find out here. So if it is a bacterial infection like you say what do I have to do?
      I am not demanding anything but here is what I see. I see someone that comes on the Health section of a Koi board asking for help. You get two of the very best people we have that can offer you help, RichToyBox and graybird, they ask you questions and you DO NOT answer them. Oh wait, you did by saying, "yes the set up is very professional with waterfall, brand new large filter etc." which leads me to believe you probably don't have a professional set up because you didn't answer if you had aerated bottom drains. You also said you tested the pH and when asked what it was you did NOT answer. Then in post #9 you posed your own theory of what it could be by doing a Google search for Koi sunburn. Having seen this, and dealing with thousands of Koi every year, I looked at the signs on the Koi you posted and did not agree that it was sunburn so I posted that you Koi was sick. You then posted pictures of, what you think are sunburn Koi, as to try to convince me I am wrong and you say "and now?" just as if you found the Holy Grail and proved me wrong. ***, what I see is someone that just did not want answers that disagreed with what they thought it should be. Sorry...
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
      So if it is a bacterial infection like you say what do I have to do?
      If this were my fish and my pond, I would clean the filter system, do a water change, salt to 0.6% and add Oxolinic acid to the water. The dose rate is 100mg to 250 gallons. Many people that sell Oxolinic acid have the wrong dose rate so be careful what you do.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

If you are going to salt, get a salt pen to determine the initial salinity, and the salinity after the addition (using the salinity calculator at the top of the page) of what you think will give you a change in salinity of 0.3 (half what Russ has suggested) as many pond owners are told the volume of the pond, but when checked against salinity, which will measure the entire system, they may have as little as half of what they were told. This will allow you to hit the 0.6 that Russ mentioned, and allow you to make subsequent additions of salt to maintain the salt level following water changes. It will also give you the true volume so you won't overdose any other chemicals, killing the koi.

I would still like to see the test results of the water chemistry. Regardless of what treatment is administered, the fish has to have a good healthy environment to heal and survive. New systems are notoriously bad due to the lack of time needed to bring the filters through the cycle and impatience on the part of the owner.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

TylerDurden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That one pic of "koi sunburn" is just hilarious. How does a koi get sun burn on its stomach....lol.

Anyways I know as a pretty novice to average koi keeper that I used to tend to look for the easiest to solve answer for my fish health issues. The fact of the matter is its rarely the cheap and easy problems that arise. 90% of the time its water related and due to poor filtration. When I was new in the hobby I thought professional filters were store bought sponge filters from my local garden center because I just didn't know any better and that's what their packaging told me.

There are some very very experienced people on this site and I would tend to agree with there opinion over my own random Google search.

I hope all turns out well for your sick koi, and remember that healthy water is what keeps healthy koi. Without the proper testing kits you will have no idea if your water is healthy or not.

On another note...Hey all been awhile! Hope everyone is doing well during these crazy times!

webted is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi California:

If the only thing your "pond service person" tested was pH, then get another pond service person or save yourself the money. For the most part, pH is a trailing indicator of water quality. I'm a scientist with more measuring devices then you could imagine, and I basically never test my pond pH. Also, FWIW, 99+% of 'pond professionals' have no idea how to build or maintain a koi pond. That's half of why this site exists.

Figuring this out is a process, and it really isn't that complicated. Test your water exactly the way Rich advised. Report the results, along with a coherent description of each part of your filtration system. Supplement with info about everything you've put into or taken out of the pond: water, chemicals and fish. Dates and amounts would help.

From that you can move onto diagnosis. Sunburn is certainly a remote possibility, and rarely life threatening. The subsequent bacteria infection that follows, however, is extremely common and will kill that fish quicker than you can imagine. TD is right, the treatment for almost everything that koi suffer from is to soak them in clean, warm water - easy to say, hard to do.

You can go through the process, and maybe save this fish and learn a bunch. Or you can shotgun treat, lose this fish for ambiguous reasons, then continue on, periodically watching other fish go through the same thing, without ever fixing the underlying problem. It's depressing, and drives many people out of this hobby.

-t

California is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I am not...
      Ok I’ve took the bacterial infection advise and treated the pond with a broad spectrum disease treatment by a brand called “microbe lift”. Then I tested the water and nitrates were high. I am doing a partial water change now. Just to clear up the professional pond set up comment, this is the equipment below.

Thank for the advice I will follow up soon if the condition improved.

Name:  790E09BA-B025-4B20-B09E-91F4DA544992.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  221.2 KB

Name:  87B33D80-572B-46E9-9369-0D74B1633901.jpeg
Views: 159
Size:  99.4 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12