• Tired

Thread: Any Vets or biological experts can help me with these

ndwgolf is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any Vets or biological experts can help me with these

Guys
      My 5200 gallon pond here in sunny Thailand is just over one month old. I have 30 good sized Koi from 30 to 40 cm each.
      My filtration system consists of
      4 x 55 gallon Barrel Bio Media filter (2 static bed and 2 moving bed)
      1 Converted Sand filter that feeds a waterfall, and in pond jets
      1 Bakki shower (3 story high) filled with various media but mainly coral and recently added very fine cotton pads
      1 x Protein Skimmer

Since adding the cotton pads to the Bakki I have noticed these tiny little red worms kind of things on top of the cotton pads, I added some 50 micron socks to the discharge lines of the bake shower yesterday afternoon and this morning they were full of these little red things.....video below
      https://youtu.be/cYNYAeQ99tA
      My fish are also swimming erratically like they have flukes (don't know what they are )but have heard others talking about them. They are also not eating so yes I am worried.
      I have added this product to my water yesterday hopefully this will help but really worried about these little red things

Any advice would be much appreciated

Neil
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Come and see what else I get up to HERE
      Neil

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There are no macroscopic little red worm parasites of koi that I am aware of. If you want to find out if the fish have parasites, you need to do a scrape and scope. Take a fish out, sedate it, use the microscope slide to remove a small amount of mucus, and look at it under the microscope. I have no idea what that product is.

perniciousviper is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Adding 30+ feet of fish to a brand new pond like yours will require hawk-like vigilance on your water parameters. With little bio you may be at the start of a very bumpy ride...

The worm things sound like nothing to worry about though, probably some larvae your fish will end up chomping on.

You need to do a scrape as inazuma28 says, before adding pot luck treatments. What's the active ingredient/s in the product you have added?

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The little red worms are a fly larva and make excellent fish food. Don't worry about them. For now the biggest worry would be water quality, namely ammonia and nitrite levels. It takes filtration time to build up the bacteria colonies to convert all of the ammonia created by the fish to nitrite and convert the nitrite to nitrate. Ammonia causes burns and the gills are sensitive areas affected by the increased levels, so test for ammonia and if there is any present do not feed until the levels come to zero and then monitor as the population of bacteria balance to the feed levels. Once the bacteria convert the ammonia, you will have nitrite, and nitrite causes red blood cells to be converted to brown blood cells which carry no oxygen, so the fish can suffocate in highly oxygenated water if nitrites are high enough for long enough.Once the nitrites are down to zero, then feeding should be maintained at a level that the bacteria can handle, and with your filtration, that should be a goodly amount of food.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

ndwgolf is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by perniciousviper View Post
      What's the active ingredient/s in the product you have added?
      This is all they have on there website
      The product is used to control external parasites, protozoa, bacteria.
      External parasites such as clear leeches, bell ticks, fish ticks, anchor worms

(Do not use on Arowana fish Cod, Rainbow fish and Silver dollar fish)

Packaging size: 10 grams, 50 grams, 250 grams, 1 kilogram
      Come and see what else I get up to HERE
      Neil