Thread: help with white spots

GLai is offline Junior Member
      is Working Hard, Needs to Play
      Harder

Feeling:
      Tired

help with white spots

Hello

Looking for help. Started a couple months back with my chagoi having a little bit of white spots on the head...I tried scraping and looking under a scope and could not make anything out.
      Fast forward and I did have some fish lice about a month ago that was treated with Dimilin X.
      This white has also been noticed in some other koi most noticeable on the beni or sumi. I have a Hi Utsuri with just a little white on the sumi on the head.

My water parameters: Temp 83F , ph 8.2 (been steady for over a couple years), Ammonia 0.25 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrates 20 ppm

I went shot gun in the past week doing the ProForm C for 3 days, on the 3rd day combined it with Praziquantel. I followed all of the directions. Now we are at Day 7 after the last treatment.

I do not notice any flashing & fish were fasted for about 5 days after the treatment and they ate normal this am

My chagoi has progressed with the white more on the head and fins and tail and I will include pics. Now I just put some salt in the pond over a couple days 0.48 ppm as of this am
      Any help would be welcomed.
      thanks in advance
      Attached Images Attached Images     

Nguyen365 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looks like a fungal infection. I used BSDT.
      1 gallon will last you a long time. https://www.amazon.com/Eco-Labs-BSDT.../dp/B001YTX53A

I would keep on hand
      -Tony
      KoiTime USA Vlog
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJY...lOsl9hsezbmzSQ
      1st house paid off at age 36 bought 3/2016 4 years and 3 months

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by GLai View Post
      Hello

Looking for help. Started a couple months back with my chagoi having a little bit of white spots on the head...I tried scraping and looking under a scope and could not make anything out.
      Fast forward and I did have some fish lice about a month ago that was treated with Dimilin X.
      This white has also been noticed in some other koi most noticeable on the beni or sumi. I have a Hi Utsuri with just a little white on the sumi on the head.

My water parameters: Temp 83F , ph 8.2 (been steady for over a couple years), Ammonia 0.25 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrates 20 ppm

I went shot gun in the past week doing the ProForm C for 3 days, on the 3rd day combined it with Praziquantel. I followed all of the directions. Now we are at Day 7 after the last treatment.

I do not notice any flashing & fish were fasted for about 5 days after the treatment and they ate normal this am

My chagoi has progressed with the white more on the head and fins and tail and I will include pics. Now I just put some salt in the pond over a couple days 0.48 ppm as of this am
      Any help would be welcomed.
      thanks in advance
      If you can isolate this one, put it in a QT, I think a high level of salt might be worth a try. 0.7% for a week should let you know if it will work or not and it is safe for the Koi.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Harder

Feeling:
      Tired

Yes I was thinking fungus but when the Pro Form C didn't work I started to doubt it.

I will look into that thanks

Harder

Feeling:
      Tired

Ok 0.7% it is....thanks Russell. I will try that

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I guess you shoule be able to see fungi filaments if it is fungi infection, as fungi cells are quite big. I have seen colorless filaments from samples collected from koi wounds, and I am sure that they are fungi.

Name:  IMG_1250.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  235.7 KB

Harder

Feeling:
      Tired

thanks...I may give it another scrape and look

Harder

Feeling:
      Tired

Hi Russell. The 0.7% for a week definitely stopped the progression. There are just still some remnants on the head...seems like it cleared up from fins and tail. I didn't want to re-bowl and stress her out again. Pics aren't the greatest but taken this am. What does this condition look like to you? So just slowly diluting back down from here. Other koi seem good. Thank you.

Name:  Chagoi1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  Chagoi2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  118.3 KB

Harder

Feeling:
      Tired

salting helped

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      If you can isolate this one, put it in a QT, I think a high level of salt might be worth a try. 0.7% for a week should let you know if it will work or not and it is safe for the Koi.

Hi Russell. The 0.7% for a week definitely stopped the progression. There are just still some remnants on the head...seems like it cleared up from fins and tail. I didn't want to re-bowl and stress her out again. Pics aren't the greatest but taken this am. What does this condition look like to you? So just slowly diluting back down from here. Other koi seem good. Thank you.

I posted updated pic lower in thread

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by GLai View Post

I posted updated pic lower in thread
      I don’t see any pics but I wouldn’t be able to tell you what it was anyway. Yes, you can do water changes and clean up the system but, at some point soon, I would do the treatment again to see if you can get rid of all of what ever it is.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Harder

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I don’t see any pics but I wouldn’t be able to tell you what it was anyway. Yes, you can do water changes and clean up the system but, at some point soon, I would do the treatment again to see if you can get rid of all of what ever it is.
      ahhh...actually my pics ended up above the last post...but not best quality, netting in the way....ok I will hit them with another treatment once I can get the salinity down to a low point. thanks again

avajohonson2395 is offline Junior Member
      is Traveller

Feeling:
      Cool

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by avajohonson2395 View Post
      No, it doesn’t look fungal, and he already tried ProformC and it did not work. ProformC and BSDT are the same thing.