• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Pls help sick koi

Martrnn is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Exclamation Pls help sick koi

Hi guys I am new to Koiphen and I joined because I need your help. My big one was seen a few days ago with a wound that looks like a bacterial infection. We are currently setting up QT, warming up the water, and adding salt. Can someone please let me know what this is and how to treat it? Thanks I would hate to see this one go.
      Best regards,
      Martin
      Attached Images Attached Images   

gray cat is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is puzzled

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Martin I am going to move this to our emergency section. Best of luck with your fish and welcome to Koiphen.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ahh sorry I didn’t know. Thank you!

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I can't tell much from the pictures. The first picture shows the beginnings of a bacterial infection. In the second picture it appears that there are scales sticking out??? and some loose scales. If that is the case then there is a strong bacterial infection. The best procedure would be to inject antibiotics, but that requires knowing a vet that can and will prescribe the needed Baytril, Amikacin, Fortaz or similar. There are some YouTube videos showing the procedure for IP injections. If you cannot get the injectible antibiotics, then Tricide Neo would be the next best course of action. I like to follow the direction on the package, except instead of making a bath, I like to mix 1/4 of a one gallon packet with a quart of distilled water in a spray bottle and spray the fish during the entire duration to keep the fish wetted and allow the medicine to do its thing. The reason for the spray is depending on the size of the fish, if you dip, the entire amount of the dip must be filtered and saved in refrigerated storage or disposed of. The cost of the material is too high for disposal after each days treatment, and the storage of the 5 gallon packet mix with the subsequent warming back up for the fish the next day is not a good approach. The quart of spray, if stored takes little room and needs little effort to bring back to pond temperature, and since the material in the spray bottle has not come in contact with the fish, it needs no straining.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes you are correct about the pictures. I will see if I can get what you recommend. Thanks for the reply!

Rich8888ri is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Agree with rich that tricide neo is your next best option.. While you are waiting for that you may want to sedate the fish and treat the wound with iodine to kill any surface bacteria. If you have any triple antibiotic ointment or basitration then put that on after the iodine treatment. If your local koi shop sells medicated koi food then buy some and feed twice a day. A place like kodama koi online will sell the ingredients to make your own if you cant find any locally.
      Ps.. You need to see what the cause of the bacterial infection was from or it will just come back again or infect your other koi.
      Typically its poor water or parasites.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the reply! I currently can’t get my hands on some tricide neo... Do you think I should try baytril injections with maybe medicated koi food?
      Thanks

Rich8888ri is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes if you can can get it. I never can get it so im stuck using the tricide neo.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi! I was able to get some baytril today and I already injected it. I sedated it first but now it seems to be swimming a little bit slower after the injection. Is that normal?
      Thanks!

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't remember having that issue. The baytril should be injected three days in a row, plus two more every other day. Looking forward to seeing improvement.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok thanks! It looks like it getting better and it’s eating again! Some scales are falling off but I think those are dead so it’s normal.