• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something is attacking my small koi!?

deanzel is online now Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Honestly, I'd probably say that it is 90% sure a heron as their beaks are just deadly. There are many different types of herons beyond just the Great Blue Heron, so maybe you've seen a different type near you (I've seen a couple different ones attack my pond). Anyway, I'd go with some type of netting at least temporarily for now. It's the only sure fire way to prevent heron/predator attacks for the most part. You may be able to remove the netting later on if you think that it damages the aesthetics of the pond/s, but at least while you're currently having a predator issue, it would be a good idea to put some kind of netting up. The predators learn and memorize where they can get their "free meals", so they'll just keep coming back if you don't do anything.

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by deanzel View Post
      Honestly, I'd probably say that it is 90% sure a heron as their beaks are just deadly. There are many different types of herons beyond just the Great Blue Heron, so maybe you've seen a different type near you (I've seen a couple different ones attack my pond). Anyway, I'd go with some type of netting at least temporarily for now. It's the only sure fire way to prevent heron/predator attacks for the most part. You may be able to remove the netting later on if you think that it damages the aesthetics of the pond/s, but at least while you're currently having a predator issue, it would be a good idea to put some kind of netting up. The predators learn and memorize where they can get their "free meals", so they'll just keep coming back if you don't do anything.
      I cannot say that it is not heron, but only small koi disappeared or were attacked, not any of the koi over 30 cm. I guess that heron can take 30-cm fish without problem?

deanzel is online now Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm pretty sure herons prefer the smaller fish. Easier for them to swallow down. But they can also attack and try to eat the larger fish as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12