• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie question re: Sick Koi

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Salt at about 0.6% (5 pounds per 100 gallons) will knock out most parasites, but if you find that it is not doing the job, then the use of malachite green/formalin is not recommended per instructions on bottles of Proform C, so many do not want the salt in the pond. Also, it takes forever to remove that much salt. My feeling on the method of treating with salt is that the reason so many find that salt does not work is that they ease the amount up, not exceeding 0.1% per day, supposedly to keep the fish from being stressed, but it is the stress of the rapid change that will kill the smaller critters and allow the fish to survive. I have taken fish from a near zero percent salt in the pond directly to a QT with 0.8% with no visible damage. Many years ago, we had a breeder in North Carolina, Lotus Land Koi, that treated sores and fungus with salt paste applied with a small paint brush.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Salt at about 0.6% (5 pounds per 100 gallons) will knock out most parasites, but if you find that it is not doing the job, then the use of malachite green/formalin is not recommended per instructions on bottles of Proform C, so many do not want the salt in the pond. Also, it takes forever to remove that much salt. My feeling on the method of treating with salt is that the reason so many find that salt does not work is that they ease the amount up, not exceeding 0.1% per day, supposedly to keep the fish from being stressed, but it is the stress of the rapid change that will kill the smaller critters and allow the fish to survive. I have taken fish from a near zero percent salt in the pond directly to a QT with 0.8% with no visible damage. Many years ago, we had a breeder in North Carolina, Lotus Land Koi, that treated sores and fungus with salt paste applied with a small paint brush.
      Hello Richard and other knowledgeable koipheners:

Since 2 days back I have kept 2 koi that were still flashing in 0.7% salt-water, as I have read at more than 3 places that 0.6% salt for 14 days will kill fluke, costia and chilodonella, which I think my koi have.

I just dropped salt into the water and it took 20 min to dissolve. The koi changed behavior quite quickly: They seem to lose vigor, as they just cruise around close to the water surface, and they donīt take any food. I could almost catch them with bare hands. They seem to breath as little as they can.

I rushed to buy a saltmeter as I was worried that I had miscalculated and put too much salt. Then I compared the reading to standard salt solutions I had made, and I estimated the salt concentration to be 0.6-0.7 %.

Now they have survived >48 hours, but still donīt take food and are lacking vigor. So I just wonder if you know how long it takes for the koi to adjust themselves to this salt level? You said that you once put a sick koi in 0.8% salt water in months, did it show similar behavior change and when did it start to take food?

Thanks a lot, again!
      Last edited by SimonW; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:09 AM.

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

update:

My koi always surprise me. They seem to have adjusted to the salt water, as they has just taken food and appear to be more agile!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12