• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question re: Sick Koi

RMH is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Newbie question re: Sick Koi

Greetings from Colorado! Newbie here.

We had/have 7 Koi quarantined while trying to knock out gill and skin flukes to no avail.

This was after a failed overall pond treatment with ProForm C and Prazi to knock out Chilodonella and flukes. Neither worked.

On the advice of our local Koi dealer, we have since treated them in a salt bath (3%) for 2 minutes at a time - with fresh-water breaks in between - for a total of 10 minutes. None of the fish rolled over during the salt bath but one Koi died within 24 hours and another small one is laying on its side, seemingly paralyzed from the mid-section to tail. I did a scape on the dead Koi and still found a heavy infestation of flukes and some Chilodonella. Scrapes on the other fish showed nothing else but flukes.

Waited 24 hours and went thru the same treatment again - except the small one laying on its side. This seemed to do the trick; scrapes on 3 found nothing. (Plan to do scrapes on the others later this evening.)

It seems the parasites are gone but our largest Koi is still occasionally flipping out by swimming erratically and trying to jump out of the tank. When he slows down, he occasionally shakes/twitches his head and floats to the top, head-up. A few times, he has slowly rolled to his side. He was doing all of this before the salt bath, so I don't know what else to check for or do for him...

The smaller Koi (4") was twitching and swimming erratically prior to the salt bath as well; I may have put him over the edge because now he appears to have issues with his swim bladder. I'm at a complete loss as to how to help this little guy.

Is this normal as the parasites are dying, or were the Koi already so weakened that the salt bath doomed them?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

P.S. Water parameters in each of 4 tanks: 0 to .25 ammonia, 8.2 PH, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 5 drops to yellow on KH

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't know what to say about your questions, but to get more info, these fish were in a pond???, and are now in aquariums???

Were there other koi in the pond than these that are in quarantine? What is the size of the largest koi that is showing the symptoms?

I have never done salt dips, but the parasites did some damage while they were in residence on the fish. The damage needs time to heal, so that may be some of the issue with the fish, and I have seen some flashing for a few days following treatments due to irritation that I believe was present when the treatments were done.

With additional info others may have more help.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The salt can affect the osmoregulation of a koi witch might cause swim bladder issues.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      I don't know what to say about your questions, but to get more info, these fish were in a pond???, and are now in aquariums???

Were there other koi in the pond than these that are in quarantine? What is the size of the largest koi that is showing the symptoms?

I have never done salt dips, but the parasites did some damage while they were in residence on the fish. The damage needs time to heal, so that may be some of the issue with the fish, and I have seen some flashing for a few days following treatments due to irritation that I believe was present when the treatments were done.

With additional info others may have more help.
      Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes, they were in a pond (approx. 6,000 gallons); we had to remove them to do liner repairs and diagnose flashing issues. The largest one that is having issues is 14 inches.

We're preparing to return them to the pond today, so perhaps he will bounce back. I just hope I haven't missed any parasites, as I'm not skilled in doing gill exams/scrapes.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bad news - our big guy died this morning. I'm devastated.

Did a post-mortem gill scrape and there were still flukes (after Prazi pond treatment and salt baths).

The other larger Koi (4 total) are doing very well; did skin scrapes on all today and found nothing. They have been returned to the pond.

Thanks again for the responses.

(The small one with the swim bladder issue was not returned to the pond; he is finally eating but still laying on one side in quarantine.)
      Last edited by RMH; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:37 PM.

Rich8888ri is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you ask a bunch of people on this site, fluke m is a much better product for getting rid of flukes. You can buy it on line and possibly on ebay.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you. This forum is incredibly helpful! I'm learning all of the things I shouldn't have done in the beginning - lol (and that Fluke-M is better).

I just finished day 3 of treating the pond with ProformC, with a final day of AquaPrazi. Had to use that because my Fluke-M order hasn't arrived yet.

Now studying the forums to determine the best course of a follow-up treatment once the Fluke-M arrives. I'm so done with flukes!

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is is old and cranky

Feeling:
      Friendly

I don't know if I've ever had a death from just flukes. My "go to" shotgun treatment is to use Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment (BSDT)
      (or Proform C) for 3 treatments on consecutive days with a 10% water change after day 1 and again after day 2, then on day 3 add the BSDT
      and Fluke M both and leave for 7 days. Then I usually wait a week and do another 7 day treatment of just the Fluke M. Seems to work well and
      kills most bugs out there. No salt in the water before treatment and be sure your UV is off. Water temps should be above 50*. Leave all filtration
      running during treatments.
      --Steve

Control your own destiny or someone else will.

---Jack Welch

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you. I can't imagine why we lost him - nothing else was wrong - no ulcers, eating just fine, etc. - except he had an infestation of flukes even after Round #1 of treatment of entire pond with Proform-C and AquaPrazi (we've since lost 2 more, exhibiting the same symptoms).

Fluke-M is *finally* arriving today, so I'll start Round #2 with BSDT this time, and Fluke M on 3rd day with appropriate water changes. (We don't have a UV filter but are planning to install one before Fall.)

Thanks again.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You mentioned Chilo? Chilodonella is quick to kill. Flukes can kill a koi but generally a secondary parasite comes to play like Chilo. So would (guess) a combination of the two took your koi.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is is old and cranky

Feeling:
      Friendly

I've never seen it posted so can you do tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH, and temperature?
      --Steve

Control your own destiny or someone else will.

---Jack Welch

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last edited by SimonW; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:07 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I wonder if you have tried 0.6% salt? If the medicines donīt work (probably resistance) then a salt treatment may be the last solution, as parasites cannot develop resistance to changes in basic living conditions, at least not within thousands of years.

I read that 0.6% salt 14 days can kill chilo and costia. I wonder if flukes can also be killed by that.

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Would you be plunging them into the salt solution or building them up to the desired dosage?

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What I have read is adding the 0.6% gradually into the pond. I have tried with putting my koi fry directly into water with 0.5-0.6% NaCl, and I have also dumped solid NaCl directly into the water with koi(of course it took some time for the salt to dissolve completely), without any observable problem.

One place says that 0.3% NaCl may help fluke as the fish will produce more mucus - food to fluke. But 0.6% will eventually kill fluke.
      Last edited by SimonW; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:24 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      You mentioned Chilo? Chilodonella is quick to kill. Flukes can kill a koi but generally a secondary parasite comes to play like Chilo. So would (guess) a combination of the two took your koi.
      A deadly combination, apparently. Yes, found Chilodonella on the first dead fish (after 3-day treatment); retreated remaining fish with Proform C for another 3 days, followed by AquaPrazi again. No Chilo after that - just flukes. Guess the damage had been done.

This is quite the learning experience.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It was in the "P.S." in my original post (Water parameters in each of 4 tanks: 0 to .25 ammonia, 8.2 PH, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 5 drops to yellow on KH).

Since then, we've transferred the fish back to the pond.

New parameters in the pond are almost identical to the above, except Ammonia = 0; PH is also steady both am and pm. Water temp today is 64 degrees.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Have not tried salt in the pond yet - still learning, and appreciate the wealth of info in this forum.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ha. Ha.

I didn't plunge them into a strong solution at first, as I'm still timid about causing too much stress on the fish. Started with a 1% solution, then after no success, called our local Koi guy who recommended a maximum of 2 minutes at a time in 3% - for total of 10 minutes, with long freshwater breaks in between.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you! Seems like there are many people who do use salt with great results and many others who recommend against it. It's confusing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast