• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: how can I create a good environment for this turtle?

aristosv is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

how can I create a good environment for this turtle?

So, my wife and youngest daughter bought this turtle from a pet shop, along with a small plastic pond and some food. As with most 7-year old’s, she got bored of feeding the turtle pretty quickly, and now I’m taking care of it. Or at least trying. I read that turtles live for many years, so I thought I might as well make things comfortable for the little guy.

Do they like being submerged in water? I never know how much water I should put in that plastic pond. It looks like the turtle is always trying to keep its head out of the water. Would it be better if I got a small fish tank?

I sometimes find the turtle trying to climb out of the pond and I wonder if something is not ok in there. Should I put some ornaments? Or check the quality of the water? It’s drinking water.

Do I need to consider other food options? Besides the one in the picture?

Does the turtle need company? Would it be better if I got another one?

Generally speaking, what would be the ideal environment for this turtle?

Thanks

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  137.9 KB
      Name:  2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  134.1 KB
Views: 327
Size:  137.9 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Don't get another turtle until you have spent some money and built a proper environment. They like to swim and they like to bask under lights. You need a much larger tank. Use a natural log protruding from the water that he can climb up on. Try to duplicate a natural pond environment...that's where he would be happiest. Here's a link that has good info: http://austinsturtlepage.com/
      Good luck and keep posting to let us know what you come up with.

Just Jessie is offline Supporting Member
      is Loving Life

Feeling:
      Awesome

Turtles like enough water to dive. Turtles are gregarious they generally are happier with company. A tank you be great. Not sure where you bought that turtle but last I checked it was illegal to sell a turtle under 4" across the carapace.
      They are climbers. I have had mine climb the chicken wire around their enclosure, good thing it has a top. I rescue invasive species otherwise they would be euthanized in our state. They like places to get out of the water, sand to dig in, a heat lamp to bask, and a variety of food. They will eat dried mealworms, krill or shrimp in a pinch but it is not a very good diet. Mine get strips or raw meat, fish, dried cat food, fruit and vegees, Also mine love night crawlers. They also make a complete pelleted feed for aquatic turtles. Koi food is a great food for them as well. If your habitat is large enough you can give them feeder goldfish. Most of which will get away and get too big to eat. Make sure you are prepared for what to do with the survivors. You can euthanize them and give them back to the turtles. Good luck. Watch that the shell is not soft, or if it is getting soft, that is a vitamin deficiency. They have vitamins for them, drops if they get swollen eyes, and a sulfa bath if they get a bacterial infection of the shell. All these things happens over the years. A good diet and regular cleaning, fresh water. Not tap water. No chlorine or fluoride, just like with koi. When cleaning the habitat and things in it, rocks, logs, etc. don't forget to wash the turtle too.

Jessie
      I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
      I support and will defend my right to bear arms

MY FAVORITE COLOR IS SHINY
      Lifetime Diamond Member #5 WWKC

BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN

www.TickerFactory.com

aristosv is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I already had a 160 litre fish tank which I wasn't using, so today I rebuild that, just for the turtle. I went out and got a uvb/a light, a filter, basking dock, some good food, and some decoration. This is all i could do today but I’ll keep improving it. I’ll let the filter work throughout the night, and add the chlorine remover, and then the turtle.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  330.4 KB
      Name:  2.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  352.1 KB
Views: 182
Size:  372.6 KB
      Name:  4.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  338.9 KB
      Name:  5.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  333.3 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Depending on what type of turtle you have, it most likely will need a turtle heater. Only get one that has a cage around it so the turtle can not get burned or break the heater and get cut or shocked.

Please join Austin's Turtle page. They have an ID section. You post pics of your turtle and someone can identify it. Until you know what kind of turtle you have you really can not give it what it needs. Some aquatic turtles will be fine in your tank and others can get the size of a dinner plate and weigh up to 10 pounds or more. If it is a female turtle, once it is mature, it will need a place with dirt or sand that it can climb out on to lay their eggs. They can die laying eggs in water.
      So please get your turtle's ID so you will know what to expect going forward. Best wishes to you.

The link below will take you right to the Turtle Identification section:

http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upl...dentification/
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Good job so far. Measure that underwater tunnel carefully to be sure the turtle can't get his shell wedged in there...he will drown. Thanks for taking steps to give the turtle what he needs.

Evie_Ollie is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Before I got my first turtle I watched lots of YouTube videos on turtle care (mainly to see if I would be able to care properly for a turtle as well as have the time for one) I know it might not be ideal but I actually learned a lot of information on turtles and how to care for them. Of course talking to the local pet shop helped a lot too. They gave us a Turtle care sheet and check list of what I would need and how often to change/clean the tank water and so on. You have done really well so far and good job messaging a forum. It's a great start to giving your turtle the best care. Good luck taking care of your baby turtle!!

Rohan is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When feeding my turtle, I feed her in a seperate container. can I use tap water in this container? or do I have to dechlorinate it each feeding session?

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
      When feeding my turtle, I feed her in a seperate container. can I use tap water in this container? or do I have to dechlorinate it each feeding session?
      I would because the turtle will be drinking the water along with its food. I would use Prime. Here is a link to a very large turtle forum with lots of info.

http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upl...dentification/
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

johnatan is offline Inactivated
      is New Member

Feeling:
      Awesome

I also recommend know difference between turtle and tortoise... I advise this review https://differencebtwn.com/differenc...le-vs-tortoise
      Last edited by johnatan; 10-14-2020 at 07:12 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007