• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Dead Koi

lorettalea is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dead Koi

Yesterday I found one of my koi dead and I am wanting to why. She was 12 years old healthy the day before, her color was great and feeding well. When I found her she had been dead 10 hours,starting to decompose. My pond was treated for parasites & with ProC a month ago. The water quality is really good & we have an aerator. We live in a rural area so lots of critters, we had a problem with a Great Blue Heron last winter. Hogzilla was way too big for a heron to eat but I've read that Herons grab their prey right behind the gills and the fish can be injured when the fish is trying to get away. I am just assuming it was an injury but it may be something else.
      Please look at these pictures and give your opinion of why/how she died. Sorry for her condition but she had been dead 10 hours & starting to decompose.

Water Quality 06/28/2022
      Ammonia .025
      pH 8.0
      KH 4
      Nitrites 0
      Nitrates 5ppm
      Temperature78F
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by lorettalea; 6 Days Ago at 05:03 PM. Reason: Add pond water values

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anybody out there.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How would any one know, especially from those pictures? They don't show anything. If it died from a Heron injury it would have stab wounds so I am not sure why you would assume it was an injury? Are there stab wounds somewhere on the Koi? Everything I see in the picture looks normal for a Koi that has been dead for 10 hours. How do you know it was dead for 10 hours?

The only way to know, for sure, what killed it would be some signs of trauma or, if there are no signs you could have a full necropsy done.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 1 Week Ago at 05:36 PM.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Russell, Actually Herons do grab koi sometimes with their beaks, usually right behind the gills. It can injure the koi when it is trying to get away. I apologize for posting such an ignorant request, that would offend someone. This is why I quit Koiphen before, rudeness from some of the long time members. I will unsubscribe from the Koiphen list that emails me regularly urging me to come back to Koiphen. BTW I knew it had been at least 10 hours because I saw it swimming around the night before around 11:00 pm. Also I have a dozen more pictures if you could have seen had you not been so intent on castigating me.
      Last edited by lorettalea; 6 Days Ago at 05:04 PM.

mplskoi is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I do hope you come back to check this. I have no clue why your fish died. But I am amazed at how often when a pond has health issues it is eventually traced back to low KH. Low Kh creates PH crash which sets filtration back which causes high ammonia therefore stress on fish. Stressed fish die of many causes. But in the final analysis raising your KH to at least 7 is always a good idea. Your KH being at a 4 makes me nervous.

rayjay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Check!! One more........, or one less if you like.
      ....."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".....Mark Twain

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If it was a heron, I guess you could see mechanical demage, like cut wounds. I donīt see any.

How about the other fish?