• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Bouyancy issues?

pnsych is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bouyancy issues?

Hi, I am hoping to get some advice on a possible issue with 1 of my Koi. For the past week or so I have noticed new behavior that I think may be a problem in the making. My 10 year old koi has started keeping about an inch of his tail fin out of the water when he is near the surface. He never did this before. He swims normally otherwise. He has also now started constantly mouthing similar to the movement when he is eating. However for the last day or so I see that he goes near the food but doesn’t seem to eat any. He has always been a reasonable eater. The other two koi in my 1200 gallon pond are acting normal. The background is that there are 3 koi from 18-24 inches and all 3 have been in the pond for 10 years without them having any issues other than flukes several years ago. The water parameters are very constant at .25 ammonia,10-20 nitrates and 8-10 drops Kh. I do a 20% water change every week. I am on a well. Nobody other than me would probably notice the tail and head position bu I have watched the fish several times a day for 10 years so I know this is new behavior. Any and all advice and thoughts will be welcomed.
      P.S. This is my first time posting videos so I hope they work correctly

https://youtu.be/LyNxcAQKRCQ
      https://youtu.be/HJxxAjSGqHo

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just a correction/clarification on original post. My wife say’s that the constant mouthing is not new and she does not think it is an indicator of new behavior. The body positioning and not eating are new. Also the foam in the video is I believe caused by DOCs. I occasionally get them and have had more than usual for about 2 months. A FF is in the near future, but I don’t think it is related to the issues since neither of the other two Koi show any signs.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I really don't know. Being off the food and swimming high could be a swim bladder infection which if it continues or gets worse would be worth antibiotics. I would get the Tricide Neo, 1 gallon size packet, and mix one fourth with a quart of distilled water and put it in a spray bottle. Sedate the fish with clove oil or MS222 so that you can have it out of the water while you spray the fish pretty much continuously for the duration of time specified on the packaging. Do three treatments as per package instructions. This method simulates the bath specified on the package, but uses a fraction of the amount of material. For a fish as large as your fish, I would think the bath would have to be the 5 gallon size and the material cannot be saved easily. It is fouled with slime coat and has to be refrigerated, and then returned to pond temperature just before the next treatment, whereas the spray bottle can easily fit in the fridge and readily rewarms for the next treatment. Store the unused powder in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Rich, as always we can count on you for some good advice and suggestions. I will try and see if these things help get it back to eating and proper orientation.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just took a Koi into Purdue Small Animal Hospital for a swim bladder issue. The vast majority of swim bladder issues are cause by an internal bacterial infection so you would need to inject the proper amount of antibiotic directly into the Koi. The Vet also drained 8 ounces of fluid from the swim bladder and I was told to do injections every 3 days for a month to get rid of the infection. Antibiotic of choice is Fortaz. Usually with a swim baller issue the Koi will spend a lot of time resting on the bottom of the pond.

Do you have a way to check the gills on the Koi to see what shape they are in and do a scrape and scope to see if it might be parasites?
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Russell, thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I will do a scrape and scope this weekend and see if there are any parasites. This koi has never been netted in its entire life, and I am just as inexperienced myself. Hopefully I do not stress it out trying to catch it. I have also looked for the Fortaz and found the antibiotic online and will get some. Currently the fish is not resting on the bottom but more often stays just below water surface with portion of tail above water line. It still does not seem to be interested in eating. I will let you know how the scrape and scope goes and what if anything we find.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update on koi. Unfortunately the koi took a turn for the worse with what seemed like the scales below his gills starting to pine cone out and he seemed very bloated. His bouyancy also seemed worse with his tail extending further out of the water. I felt that without some intervention he would die which is ultimately what happened. The following is a step by step account of what I did. First I separated him from the other fish and put him in a 300gln. QT tank. Next I took him to the Vet's(my wife's) hospital for x-rays. I transported him in an rubbermade tote with 8 glns of pond water and an airstone. He was 12 1/2 lbs and 23.5 inches. When I got him to the Vet office he looked worse than in the QT. He was then sedated using Propofol which is one of the sedating methods used by aquatic Vets. We then did a gill snip and scrape and scope which did not show any parasites. Then we x-rayed him to look at the swim bladder. It appeared normal. We then did 2 needle aspirates to see if there was either excess air or fluid. Both sites came out clear. Not having any clear direction as to what the problem was we then treated him with Baytrol which is a antibiotic which we planned to keep him on for about a month. Unfortunately when I got him home and in the QT tank he never recovered. I held him above the airstone for two hours with no luck. After his death we did a necropsy to see if anything obvious was wrong. Inside of the belly cavity there was a large growth that was attached to some organs. Because neither my wife nor I are knowledgeable on internal anatomy in spite of reading and watching videos we are not sure what the growth was but plan to post the pictures on a Veterinary site to see if someone has some thoughts. I believe that the transporting and treatment probably hastened his death but it was probably inevitable if we did nothing. I want to thank Rich and Russell for their thoughts and suggestions.