• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: 1 month old fry w/ white fin edges dying

Casummer is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Bemused

1 month old fry w/ white fin edges dying

Hello, I have 25, one month old fry in a 40g tank. ( I have 16 other 100-300g outdoor tanks and a 10k gallon pond.) Koi keeper for ~10 yrs. Raised 1000 fry before.

Water in the fry tank: Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, pH 6.4; just did H2O change now 6.8, aiming at 7.2.
      Fry eggs were collected and hatched in an indoor aquarium designated for fry, no other fish or plants or snails, etc. No spikes in tank.

I feed 4-5 x daily, freshly hatched bbs, fry starter, First Bites, Spirulina blend, shaved frozen blood worms, decapsulated bs eggs.

Problem:
      I have had 3 episodes in last 10 days of nearly all the fry suddenly (within hours) getting white fin edges and tail fin edges.
      No white on body or visible spots of any kind. I lose several fry almost immediately.

Each time itís happened Iíve used salt at .15, Pimafix and Melafix and did a 25% water change.

I have many koi meds, but feared killing the fry with the meds.

Each time the white edges have cleared and fry behave normally again...and then it happens again.

Before someone says to do a squish plate, Iím sorry, but I just canít do it. Iím fine scraping and scoping the bigger sizes, but too much ❤️ for squishing.

Any help would be deeply appreciated. Sincerest thanks

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Sorry about the fry. You did not state what if any filtration you have on the tank. A nitrate reading of zero is usually a sign that there is not a cycled filter and the ammonia and nitrites should be up. If the filter is taking care of the ammonia and nitrites, then there should be nitrates. Numbers conflict each other. Your pH of 6.4 would indicate that there is a lack of alkalinity, which stabilizes the pH, and most likely has led to pH crashes, which has killed the filter and nearly killed the fish. Improving the alkalinity would be done most cheaply with baking soda which will increase the pH to about 8.3/8.4, which is a good pH as long as it is consistent. Get a KH test kit and try to maintain the KH above 100ppm with values of 200ppm plus not being a problem. I suspect the whiteness at the ends of the fins is due to chemical burns, either extreme low pH from a pH crash or ammonia from a failed filter allowing ammonia spikes, but those are just guesses.

I have no experience with Pimafix, but know that Melafix is a tea tree oil and it does make the water smell good, but generally it is felt that the only thing being helped with it is the wallet of the manufacturer. Some have speculated the oil coats the gills and creates more problems than it cures.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Hello Rich and thank you for your reply. The tank has a FLUVAL C4 FILTER and I suspect it is not fully cycled. Unfortunately, it was not ready when a weather spike here caused an earlier than expected spawn. I usually use pond water to help it along, but feared residual medication could be present from my Spring treatments. After a second, very gradual water change of 25% the pH is at 8.4 and I will continue to monitor it closely. The nitrites and ammonia remain at 0, there have been no ammonia spikes, maybe due to the tiny size of the fry? I thought the feedings would be enough to get cycling started. I do have another 40g cycled tank that I could move them into, but kind of worried about what the last residents may have left behind. I moved them outside to a 300g tank and they seem fine, but you never know.

I didn’t realize that a low pH could cause chemical burns, guess I should have! Still learning!!!

As for the Pimafix, it is bay leaf oil and I have used it in a variety of fish, including koi, over many, many years, along with Melafix. In my opinion they have both performed very well in multiple instances. One has an antibacterial effect and the other an anti fungal effect, so they work well when those conditions are not very advanced. The main advantage is that they are less toxic and safer to use on more delicate specimens, including fry. Just my two cents.

My API KH has expired, but I’ve ordered new and will follow your advice and hope for the best. I hate losing even one, but years of fish keeping has taught me that not all can be saved, but I’m still gonna try! Thanks again xo

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Yw

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

msegger is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

how are you doing water changes? recently my tap water parameters changed causing issues. Now when I do water changes on my fry tanks, I use 2000gal pond water or water from 125gal aquarium.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Hello, Thank you for responding. I do water changes in my fry tank with conditioned tap water. I am concerned with introducing unknown pathogens from pond water and the adult fish residing there. I try to allow the tap water to sit out for 24-48 hours whenever possible.