• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Sieve upgrade options/advice

FishAddict12 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Sieve upgrade options/advice

I just finished my most of my plumbing from parts I acquired several years ago at a local Koi store so I'm still learning as I go. I'm already thinking about swapping out the HydroSieve and/or adding a "real" Sieve after it. My current setup is a concrete pad above ground for equipment and the BD is 4" gravity to the HydroSieve then I have a 3" line to the pump. I was thinking about a Zakki Sieve JR. I'm also wondering if a traditional gravity Sieve like a Cetus could be installed in ground in place of my HydroSieve? The most difficult option would be to demo my new pad and dig a pit to get down to the pond level and do a gravity Sieve in the pit. I was hoping to keep the cost around $1500 ish. Is the Zakki Sieve the only one on the market that can be above the pond level? Also is it common to just use the Sieve on the BD circuit and not on the Skimmer circuit? The Cetus and Zakki JR both limit me to 4500 GPH and I'm using a Performance Pro 1/3 6300 GPH pump. I'm concerned that if I run everything through the Zakki JR or Cetus I won't have enough flow to my TPR and Waterfall.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

The Aquaforte ultrasieve 111 , and the 24’’ zacci wil both handle Your pump , but they are both above Your budget . The Zacci’s have the advantage of being able to be above the Pond level so no digging required . If budget is really an issue , you might consider a 16’’ Zacci on the bottom drain circuit , and keep the hydroseve on the skimmer circuit

FishAddict12 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      The Aquaforte ultrasieve 111 , and the 24’’ zacci wil both handle Your pump , but they are both above Your budget . The Zacci’s have the advantage of being able to be above the Pond level so no digging required . If budget is really an issue , you might consider a 16’’ Zacci on the bottom drain circuit , and keep the hydroseve on the skimmer circuit
      I'm assuming that most of the fish waste and other larger particles come from the BD circuit. When I do the math my max flow to the TPR's/Waterfall is between 5000-5500 GPH so I'm having a hard time justifying a $2400 filter over a $1300 filter that does 4500 GPH. If I did do the 16" Zakki on the BD circuit and moved the HydroSieve between the skimmer and pump what are the downsides? Less water clarity and clogging up my bio filters?

Also wondering if the Aquaforte III could be put in the ground at the same place my current HydroSieve is and make some sort of lid that could be stepped on? Are there any threads that show something like this I have been searching and haven't seen any.

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Correct , most of the heavy solids will be handled by the bottom drain circuit. The floating stuff that makes it to the skimmer can be easily handled by that hydrosieve which is just a large leaf basket . Whatever makes it past the Hydrosieve , and Cetus, Zacci, or Aquaforte should be handled by Your mechanical/fines filtration before it gets to Your bio filters . The Aquaforte can be put in the ground, but it needs a filter pit With clearance around it . Burying it directly in the ground would probably collapse it .

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007