• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: two maybe three sick fish need help please

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The smaller fish hiding is probably due to the heron visit. They are smarter than most give them credit for and hiding from a predator is instinctual. In time, if the heron does not show up again, they will come out.

As for the thickened area on the edges of the fins, I would wait to worry about it until after the treatments for parasites. The Proform C has malachite green as one of the major components and it is great for fungus, so if it is that, it will be taken care of. If not, it could be healing or viral for which there is no treatments.

As for scales growing back, most of the time they do. They are like fingernails, and if the root area is not removed, the nail/scale will grow back. Not always looking like it did before removal.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

bkidder is offline Junior Member
      is thankful this forum is here

Feeling:
      ----

yesterday it looked like the red butterfly was getting better he wasn't eating but his color was back and he was swimming around a little. i must of missed something, just came in from checking the pond today. he now looks like his color has given into grayish white coat on 50% of his body and some spots that look like ick. also his eyes look like there sunken in a little. i could catch him by hand he seems so weak. i have a dose of fluke M and proform C in the pond from the other day. if its Columnaris will salt help? also the comets are stressed out and some have red streaks on their fins.
      this is crazy i'm just about at the end of my rope the red koi will probably die and maybe some of the comets
      i've lost two good size koi so far this year. two the first year i had the house, they jumped out of the kiddy pool i had them in while i cleaned the pond

water checks out
      KH - 7 drops
      PH - 8
      nitrate -0
      ammonia - 0
      i have added salt for stress and i read Columnaris can't live in salt - i'm at 0.05% and should by 0.1% by tonight .shooting for 0.3%

one thing i don't get the guy who had this before me did nothing to the pond he had a 250 GPH pump running to a spillway that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years i'd say when i cleaned there was 3 or 4 inches of sludge sitting in it he had no test kits for water quality there was also at least an inch of muck build up on the bottom of the pond. from what i'm told from the neighbors he never had any issues. i take over clean the pond install proper filtration start testing the water and in three short years half the fish died.i'm doing everything i can. i practically have a fish pharmacy from everything i've ordered and working on a 250 GAL QT tank. this guy digs a hole in the ground puts a few fish in and never had any issues

Feeling:
      ----

sorry for sounding so discouraged
      anyway here are a few pics of the comets
      any hail mary options for the red koi?
      Name:  red fin.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  63.4 KBName:  red dot.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  56.3 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Going back and reading, one of the early posts mentions carbon filtration in one of the spillways??? If it is still there it is neutralizing the chemical treatments before they have a chance to do much. If it is still there, remove it and start the Proform C over, three days in a row with Fluke M added at with the third treatment.

With a thickened slime coat, there is something that is irritating the fish, and with the eyes sunken, it sounds like costia, hopefully. The other cause of sunken eyes that I am familiar with is KHV and that is fatal to a fairly large portion of the population of koi.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

Feeling:
      ----

thanks Richard,
      at the start of medication i removed carbon and shut off UV. the red koi died shortly after my post last night.down to one large female full of eggs and 6 comets. comets still seem strange staying in the deep end or in a cave. seems to me looking back the red streaks are how the three that died started out. i guess i'll just raise salt to 0.3% and keep an eye on them unless anyone has any other ideas. feels like i've bombarded the pond with medication already

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sunken eyes can be from anything and all parasites . As it is just a symptom of dehydration. Sunken eyes is not specific to khv or any other parasitic issue.

It is also generally an indication the koi is in a serious condition.
      Last edited by kdh; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:59 AM.

Feeling:
      ----

thanks

Feeling:
      ----

OK so its been a week since treatment all the bigger koi didn't make it except one large female. the comets still have a little red in theirs fins. but know the two white comets are turning black. doesn't seem to be spots it seems to be each scale is changing.
      water is good salt is at .2% as part of my final treatment. not sure whats going on. also all the comets are hiding at the bottom since the herring visit they do come up to eat but dart up grab food and swim back down. of the two white comets that are turning black one is in the small pond and one is in the main pond. since there all hanging at the bottom could there be some sort of low laying bacteria issue?

Feeling:
      ----

just a quick update retest water
      PH-8.5 -9
      ammonia - 0
      nitrite - 0
      KH - 143.2

all the comets have some sort of black going on the orange ones have started to show black at the base of their fins while all the white ones scales are turning black. this has to be an issue ?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

From http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d...#BLACK%20SPOTS "BLACK SPOTS
      The most common cause of black spotting on fish is transient ammonia spikes (or other toxins) that cause burning. Check water parameters first, do big water changes. Black is a sign of healing. Spots should fade in about 2 weeks.
      If these are new fish, if there are snails in the pond then it is possible the fish have "black spot disease".

Again, it would look like there may have been some kind of poison used near the pond that caused the fish to die and the black spots on the goldfish.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

Feeling:
      ----

thanks water quality is good I've double checked. there hasn't been any ground run off or fertilizer that i'm aware of. there is a lot of medication still in the tank not sure if that could be it? probably not. after reading the article you attached my theory is the herring has brought parasites into the pond which affected the comets[why not the two remaining koi?] thankfully one of the treatments for this parasite is salt my salt is at .2% hopefully that's helping. i'll do a few water changes over the next few weeks and keep the salt at .2%. see how that goes.
      thanks for your help

Feeling:
      ----

thanks for the education black spots have faded on comets lost 3 koi but hopeful i can maintain a healthy pond moving forward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12