• Tired

Thread: Getting them to spawn

Tenyrafar is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Getting them to spawn

Hello all,

roughly a month ago, I had some slight spawning behaviour in my tank (I'm keeping the koi in a large indoor tank(approx 20.000 liter /5000+gal) for the winter) But it subsided after a day or so.

Now, I have all the gear I need to care for fry, so I'm kinda wondering: Any way I could trigger them to start spawning again?

They've been kept at around 23-24 degrees for a few months now, temperature can easily be manipulated. Would be nice if I could get them to spawn before I move them out for the summer

Any advice and experiences you have that could be useful would be appreciated!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Tenyrafar View Post
      Hello all,

roughly a month ago, I had some slight spawning behaviour in my tank (I'm keeping the koi in a large indoor tank(approx 20.000 liter /5000+gal) for the winter) But it subsided after a day or so.

Now, I have all the gear I need to care for fry, so I'm kinda wondering: Any way I could trigger them to start spawning again?

They've been kept at around 23-24 degrees for a few months now, temperature can easily be manipulated. Would be nice if I could get them to spawn before I move them out for the summer

Any advice and experiences you have that could be useful would be appreciated!
      Hi and welcome to the forum. 5000 gallons indoors … wow!

I'm guessing you have some spawning material for them to lay their eggs on. (such as spawning brushes, spawning ropes, or plants)

And I suppose you have at least one male and one female that are mature or somewhat mature. (about two years but preferably older)

If you have that and the koi are healthy, you can probably get a spawn. If not, change can urge them on, such as a substantial water change, maybe 30% or so. I would say a storm front or rain shower, but I'm not sure if that works indoors. Some say sprinkling water into the spawning tank to imitate rain helps. I don't know.

goclassv is offline Senior Member
      is Excited for another year of
      ponding

Feeling:
      ----

I pushed my temperatures up to the 73-75 degree range a over two weeks ago. I increased feeding and put in some spawning mops. For almost two weeks nothing happened l, despite me putting up night lights to simulate the moon. Finally, I bumped up my water change schedule from 25% once a week, to 25% every other day for a total of 3 changes in 5 days. These changes would drop the temp by about 3-4 degrees. Not positive if that was the key, but that seems to be the only thing that I did differently before they spawned... that was on May 26...

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by goclassv View Post
      I pushed my temperatures up to the 73-75 degree range a over two weeks ago. I increased feeding and put in some spawning mops. For almost two weeks nothing happened l, despite me putting up night lights to simulate the moon. Finally, I bumped up my water change schedule from 25% once a week, to 25% every other day for a total of 3 changes in 5 days. These changes would drop the temp by about 3-4 degrees. Not positive if that was the key, but that seems to be the only thing that I did differently before they spawned... that was on May 26...
      Big congrats! And thanks for the details on what you tried and what seemed to be the thing that made it work.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007