• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parasite - Waterfall Hugging -

RickF is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you are still seeing flashing 5 days after the second dose of Aqua Prazi, I would do three doses of the BSDT (which is a brand of F/MG) at two day intervals with a 20% to 25% water change in between. I would also do a third dose of Aqua Prazi with the third dose of BSDT. I do not know how the treatment will affect potential fry, but If parasites are bothering the adult fish, the fry would most likely succumb to the parasites without treatment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Concetta is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

One medium size fish has died. I took photos of the fish and of the gills. I don't see anything obvious. Big Bertha (the dead fish) came really fat looking - thus the name. She looked lethargic yesterday and now she has died.

The other fish are eating. The one photo is of the fish swimming around yesterday afternoon.Name:  IMG_20200530_124442.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  95.1 KBName:  IMG_20200530_124510.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  64.3 KBName:  IMG_20200530_124453.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  109.0 KBName:  IMG_20200529_124620.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  169.8 KBName:  IMG_20200530_124517.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20200530_124517.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  80.2 KB

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The AquaPrazi should not harm eggs or fry, but the BSDT may, but not sure. If there is spawning going on, you will find the fish not wanting any food, as they are gorging on the eggs. You will also find the pond has a lot of foam, an aroma of sex, and a high ammonia. The high ammonia will lead to high nitrites. My experience was the high ammonia was taken care of by my filters rather quickly but the high nitrites were a little less quickly brought under control. The high ammonia could be causing gill issues and high nitrites will cause brown blood disease making the red cells incapable of transmitting oxygen. Keep a close eye on the numbers.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

RickF or someone else - do you see anything obvious with the dead fish photos I included?

10 minutes ago I tested the water again. Nitrite was much better - 0 on the scale; Ammonia also much lighter in color 0; Nitrate still seems high to me - PH High levels ? KH & GH (I added more baking soda.) Name:  IMG_20200530_163520.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  74.6 KBName:  IMG_20200530_163535.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  82.9 KBName:  IMG_20200530_163558.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  62.9 KBName:  IMG_20200530_163457.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  85.2 KB

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

How long had it been dead?

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      How long had it been dead?

Garfield
      My guess - and I do say guess - is that it had been dead for about 2 hours when I took the photo. Why?

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
      My guess - and I do say guess - is that it had been dead for about 2 hours when I took the photo. Why?
      It looks anemic to me,but it has been dead for two hours.

Try GOOGLING pictures of healthy fish gill filaments.

See the difference.

Garfield.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      It looks anemic to me,but it has been dead for two hours.

Try GOOGLING pictures of healthy fish gill filaments.

Garfield.
      It was always that color. Strange fish to start with. I rescued if about 5 years ago from a disgusting fish tank. It always looked like it was pregnant and it has always been that white-cream color.

game

Feeling:
      Cool

GOOGLE, ANGEL KOI AND AQUATICS .

Garfield

game

Feeling:
      Cool

I was looking into and at the open gill filaments,not the fish.

Garfield

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

If the fish are spawning, there is a possibility that they were piled under the waterfall b/c there were eggs there and they were spawning/eating the eggs.

Sadly, this fish could have died due to spawning injuries. It does happen.

Just a thought.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      If the fish are spawning, there is a possibility that they were piled under the waterfall b/c there were eggs there and they were spawning/eating the eggs.

Sadly, this fish could have died due to spawning injuries. It does happen.

Just a thought.
      1) Thank you for your reply. I've considered the same. Especially since there is so much foam in the pond. That area by the waterfall is also snug, a bit hidden. The fish like going under and behind rocks. I did a large water change last night. I finally decided that the Aqua Prezzi 'loss' in the water change was worth it to reduce the nitrates. I did some more research on this forum to see that my fish were eating but then going back to lethargic behavior. The nitrate test was quite dark - so the highest level shown on the test.

2) It seems one of the largest fish has a white-ish look. This makes me think that I have to use the Broadspectrum medicine (Microbe-Lift Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment 1 Gal (MPN BSDTG1).

BUT BUT I AM SCARED! I don't like the warning on the bottle that says it is 'the least dangerous' - what does least dangerous mean?! That implies it is dangerous to my fish.

3) Can anyone tell me why the directions to these medications calls for taking out any charcoal/charcoal filter? Does the charcoal remove some of the effectiveness of the medicine or is there something else?

Thanks again everyone.

OK - I need some advice - encouragement - hand holding.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Activated carbon will remove any medication other than salt from the water. All medication, when used improperly is dangerous, but some do have a wider therapeutic window (the difference between the lowest effective concentration and the toxic concentration) than others. With any medication that is added to the pond, it is important to know the volume of the pond. If the pond is smaller than you think it is, you will overdose, and that can lead to toxicity. If the pond is larger than you think it is, you will underdose, and that will be ineffective.

Formalin is more toxic at low water temperatures because toxic breakdown products accumulate. BSDT (as well as a few other brands of F/MG) have a stabilizer that helps to prevent the breakdown of the Formalin, and therefore, makes it safer to use at cooler temperatures.

BSDT is safe to use as long as the water temperature is above 50 deg F and you know the volume of the pond.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

RickF or someone else - do you see anything obvious with the dead fish photos I included?
      Gills are full of pus. She put up a good fight but lost. Likely due to sepsis.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

UPDATE - QUESTION as to NEW ISSUE

Since using the medications, the Koi seem to be doing much better. They are more active and there is little to no bunching up under the waterfall. Thank you to all who provided advice.

BUT - the goldfish are turning white and dying. I had hoped it was natural color change but it is obvious that it is not. The goldfish start to turn white; are more lethargic; and die. They appear as if all the blood has been sucked out of them.

I've lost 6 various sizes of goldfish within the last week. The photo here is from this morning.

This morning's testing showed - 0 of ammonia; nitrite - but a bit high on PH 8 - 8.5 depending how you read the color. The water temp is 64.7 F.

There has been foam on the water off and on for the last couple of weeks - yesterday more so. I assumed they were spawning which might be the reason for the higher PH.

I added more baking soda to the water today with the high PH #'s.

I just don't know what more to do. My filter system is excellent - I haven't put anything new in the pond - no new fish - has no rocks - I feed them Dainachi medium and small pellet food.

Name:  IMG_20200615_111831.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  150.3 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The stable pH of a bicarbonate buffer system is 8.3, so there is nothing wrong with the pH. The most important thing about pH is that it remain stable. Check it in the morning just before sunrise and again in the late afternoon. It us normal for pH to go up during the day and down at night, but you do not want that swing to be more than about 0.3 units (eg, 8.3 at dawn and 8.6 in the late afternoon).

Hopefully others will have a better idea of what is happening with your goldfish.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
      The stable pH of a bicarbonate buffer system is 8.3, so there is nothing wrong with the pH. The most important thing about pH is that it remain stable. Check it in the morning just before sunrise and again in the late afternoon. It us normal for pH to go up during the day and down at night, but you do not want that swing to be more than about 0.3 units (eg, 8.3 at dawn and 8.6 in the late afternoon).

Hopefully others will have a better idea of what is happening with your goldfish.

Thank you Rick!

game

Feeling:
      Cool

UPDATE - QUESTION as to NEW ISSUE

Since using the medications, the Koi seem to be doing much better. They are more active and there is little to no bunching up under the waterfall. Thank you to all who provided advice.

BUT - the goldfish are turning white and dying. I had hoped it was natural color change but it is obvious that it is not. The goldfish start to turn white; are more lethargic; and die. They appear as if all the blood has been sucked out of them.

I've lost 6 various sizes of goldfish within the last week. The photo here is from this morning.

This morning's testing showed - 0 of ammonia; nitrite - but a bit high on PH 8 - 8.5 depending how you read the color. The water temp is 64.7 F.

There has been foam on the water off and on for the last couple of weeks - yesterday more so. I assumed they were spawning which might be the reason for the higher PH.

I added more baking soda to the water today with the high PH #'s.

I just don't know what more to do. My filter system is excellent - I haven't put anything new in the pond - no new fish - has no rocks - I feed them Dainachi medium and small pellet food.

Name:  IMG_20200615_111831.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  150.3 KB

Could the medication be the cause?

Garfield

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't know and really didn't find any good info on my favorite goldfish health site http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/disease/disease.htm.

"COLOR CHANGES
      Skin color lightens with stress, darkens with illness. Color is under the control of the neuroendocrine system, so loss of neurological control (like due to brain flukes AKA eye flukes) this leads to color changes in the skin.

Heavy slime coat also leads to a loss of color or darkening. Many GF are fed steroids while young to increase their size and make them "color up".. but when sold and not fed steroid containing food, they don't grow and lose color. They also get dropsy easily and other illnesses and don't live very long. Nutritional deficiencies, especially lack of vitamin C also leads to BENT SPINE and thinness."

Stress causes a lot of problems but it is rarely the direct cause of deaths. I don't see any ulcers, pineconing, or other obvious signs of infection causing death. You have not mentioned any odd behavior, other than the color change, so I am at a loss.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, Richard. I feel lost here.

I just get one thing seemingly under control and something else happens.

Here is photo of another goldfish that has all these color changes and brown stuff on the back. I have it in medication but I don't hold out much hope. A few of the other goldfish seem to be going through some color fading to white - that seems to be a bit different in their movement. I notice that a few of the larger koi seem to be nibbling them, too.

Now, one of my Koi has pink areas on its sides. I put it in a salt bath for 35 minutes this morning.

Name:  IMG_20200616_105552.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  42.7 KBName:  IMG_20200615_153342.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  53.2 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast