• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Undertaking my first relining ........ pray for me

p90dly is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Undertaking my first relining ........ pray for me

Hi all. new to the forum, have joined hoping to get some much needed advice.

Im about to take on the re-lining of my in-laws 8mtr x 3.5mtr x 1.4mtr koi pond. It is dug into ground mainly made up of chalk with a 4 course high brick up-stand above ground. There are a million questions i have but the most important i currently have are:

- Butyl or EDPM, and why?

- Best underlay available?, and why?

- theres currently a bottom drain which is solely used to purge water and crap from the bottom of the pond occasionly, shall i cut new liner to re-instate this or rely on a pond vac for future cleaning? id prefer not to cut into new liner but if i am really missing an opportunity i will look into re-instating......

Thankyou all in advance for any feedback, much appreciated

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is is old and cranky

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by p90dly View Post
      Hi all. new to the forum, have joined hoping to get some much needed advice.

Im about to take on the re-lining of my in-laws 8mtr x 3.5mtr x 1.4mtr koi pond. It is dug into ground mainly made up of chalk with a 4 course high brick up-stand above ground. There are a million questions i have but the most important i currently have are:

- Butyl or EDPM, and why?

- Best underlay available?, and why?

- theres currently a bottom drain which is solely used to purge water and crap from the bottom of the pond occasionly, shall i cut new liner to re-instate this or rely on a pond vac for future cleaning? id prefer not to cut into new liner but if i am really missing an opportunity i will look into re-instating......

Thankyou all in advance for any feedback, much appreciated
      Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!

Personally I'm a fan of EPDM because it forms better to irregular forms of the pond walls and
      floor. It also stretches which allows penetrations through it like a pipe boot.

I think the best underlayment is one that works.
      Be aware that any wrinkles in the underlayment will show up on the liner. Not that you'll notice it
      in a month or two.. but I used old carpeting and took great care to keep from allowing ridges to
      show up in the liner... which I'm not sure in the end was worth it or not.

I'm not sure of the BD design or size of pipe but if it's large enough and designed well enough, I'd keep
      it to feed filtration as opposed to flushing straight to waste.

Looking forward to watching the redo!
      --Steve

In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave,
      and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him,
      for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.

---Mark Twain

p90dly is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!

Personally I'm a fan of EPDM because it forms better to irregular forms of the pond walls and
      floor. It also stretches which allows penetrations through it like a pipe boot.

I think the best underlayment is one that works.
      Be aware that any wrinkles in the underlayment will show up on the liner. Not that you'll notice it
      in a month or two.. but I used old carpeting and took great care to keep from allowing ridges to
      show up in the liner... which I'm not sure in the end was worth it or not.

I'm not sure of the BD design or size of pipe but if it's large enough and designed well enough, I'd keep
      it to feed filtration as opposed to flushing straight to waste.

Looking forward to watching the redo!

Cheers Steve. Thanks for the advice.

Will look to start a new thread about the refurb once i start it