Thread: Issue with Koi overnight

koihobo is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Issue with Koi overnight

Hi All,

Been a bit since I posted.

I recently did my spring pond maintenance and health check of my fish 2 weeks ago. During this I didn't not any issues with them. A few days after, while doing a water quality check I noticed one small koi had a torn pectoral fin. This had appeared after it was added back to the pond, and I'm 99% certain occurred during the 3 days between the maintenance and when discovered. I started watching this fish closer and over the last few days it became slightly lethargic. I became concerned yesterday and intended to move it to an isolation tank today to get a better look. When I went out today I found this:
      Name:  20200516_155509[1].jpg
Views: 227
Size:  183.3 KB
      Name:  20200516_155518.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  168.0 KB

Overnight those growths on its head and pelvic fins appeared. Also, the damage to its tail became apparent. I visited my local pet shop and the owner thought it could be bacterial from the wound and recommended an antibiotic. I'm treating with NeoPlex following the instructions, but curious if anyone with more experience may have some idea what may be going on or something to save this fish?

Water testing over the past week has shown Ammonia to be consistently at 0, Nitrate and Nitrite at 0, pH came in at 8.6 each time but is within my normal 8.4-8.7 range due to water conditions. I've tried reducing that with treatments, but I may as well throw the money in the pond. Phosphate did show a trace at 0.25, which may be due to runoff or the addition of some new plants. As a preventative I did a 30%ish water change today and carefully looked over the other pond occupants. No other fish are showing any signs of stress or injury.
      Last edited by koihobo; 05-16-2020 at 09:24 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Don't worry about the phosphate test, I don't know of anyone that uses them for ponds. It's important to get a KH test. Your pH results don't indicate a problem with KH but of all the tests I use often, ammonia and KH are my go to's.
      Regarding your pH, as long as it is stable, please don't try and lower it. It's best to find where it stable for your pond and let it be. Koi tolerate a wide range of pH as long as they are stable.

The two things that stand out to me are what looks like SAP (the greenish moldy looking stuff) and the notched nose. The SAP can be treated with any malachite green/formalin medication. Terminate, ProformC are the ones I have used. Make sure that you don't have salt in the tank/pond.
      The notched nose indicates dehydration. This can be a parasitic issue which the medication recommended above would address. It could also be bacterial. Parasites and a bacterial issue could be happening at the same time.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My test for KH went missing over the winter, but last year it was stable. I'll be checking once I find where the thing went. Ordered the ProformC and I'll hit the whole pond with it when it arrives to be safe.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Found my test strips that do kh and gh. I couldn't find the more accurate test and have a new one coming. The strips show 180 for both kh and gh with ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite at 0, and ph at 8.3 at 1pm with 65 degree F water. That's 1 day after a 30% water change in the pond. It looks like the ProformC won't arrive until May 26th or later. Hoping earlier, but looking over the other fish I'm not seeing any signs of notched nose or other behavior issues. The goldfish, that I've been trying to get rid of, in with the koi are spawning right now...

The sick one made it through the night, crossing my fingers the Noeplex buys him some time.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When you get a chance, get the API Master Freshwater test kit. You'll still need to get the KH test separately but the drop kits will give you far more accurate results. When dealing with health issues, I just don't think the strips are accurate enough for my comfort.

I hope the Neoplex helps. I do think the ProformC will be helpful. Wish it was arriving sooner but I understand shipments are often delayed currently.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks again. I have the API master kit and that's what I've used to report the readings other than gh and kh. I had the strips as a quick emergency test and to double check that my ph was really testing where it was.

These shipping times are interesting. Some random things overnight and others 3-4 weeks.

The affected fish was hanging on the bottom of the isolation tank yesterday and only swimming limited amounts. It did eat so there was that. Crossing fingers it makes it and I'll update on the results of the proformc once it arrives.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Unfortunately, this little guy didn't make it. I found it yesterday with a much worse spread and was able to get a medication with malachite green finally. It was too little, too late, and he was gone this morning. I'm still going to treat the whole pond with the ProformC when it arrives as a precaution if this was parasitic. Any suggestions for sterilizing the quarantine tank and tools? Hydrogen peroxide solution?

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

So sorry.
      Hopefully the medication will arrive soon.

Just reading my notes from my bio security class, 35ml of bleach in a gallon of water works good. Let the solution sit
      for an hour in the tank or submerged tools to sterilize. Obviously it's deadly to fish. Also not recommended for nets or
      anything metal.

Also a great disinfectant is Vikron Aquatic... but it's harder to find than bleach.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm so sorry to hear that. I do think it is a good idea to treat the pond.
      I agree with Steve about using bleach.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ProformC showed up today and I'm starting the whole pond treatment. Thanks again for all the help. Also got the better gh and kh test kit. Pre-treatment water change numbers were: Ammonia 0 ppm, nitrate 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, phosphate 0.1 ppm, ph 8.4, kh 161.1, and gh 250.6. The gh tested off the scale so we had to extend it with a bit of math since it was a linear progression. I knew we had hard water but it was a bit of a surprise how hard.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Numbers look good.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question on the ProformC treatment. I'm on the last day. Doing a 25% change before the treatment each day as the instructions state. Should I do a post-treatment water change as well tomorrow?

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

If you were adding a fluke treatment with the last Proform C treatment as is common with shotgun treatments, then no water change for 5 to 7 days. So without the fluke treatment, I would say that the 25% is not needed. The 25% water changes are recommended to reduce bio load in the water and flush some of the nasties.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      If you were adding a fluke treatment with the last Proform C treatment as is common with shotgun treatments, then no water change for 5 to 7 days. So without the fluke treatment, I would say that the 25% is not needed. The 25% water changes are recommended to reduce bio load in the water and flush some of the nasties.
      Thanks

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007