• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: One koi done eating.

Zagkoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

One koi done eating.

Iím sure someone has had this experience before and can tell me whatís going on. I have a 4000 gallon pond with 9 healthy fish that are eating like crazy. The water is fantastic in that the ammonia and nitrites are reading 0. Nitrates about 40, and kH is about 5 drops. Temperature at 65.
      That being said, there is one fish that has stopped eating and decided to go on a food strike going on a week now. No other symptoms. No flashing, no clamps fins, perfect color, no sign of parasites, breathing normally. It is swimming around in circles enjoying the pond but just not interested in food anymore. The only thing I can think of is if it is pregnant or something. It is a huge 32Ē female and the body has never look better, like a tank.

Is there something I need to check? Or are these food strikes common?

Asagibottom is offline Senior Member
      is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

This happened to me three weeks ago. Same exact thing with a 19" fish. She swam the same circles around the pond all day and then hung on the bottom for shade. Never once flashed and didn't eat the whole time. For about a week she did this until I netted her and noticed she was a little stressed. She had a few scales popping out that I couldn't see from the edge of the pond (think dropsy). I scraped and scoped and found gill flukes. I treated her with triple antibiotic ointment, FLUKE Mm salt, and then treated the whole pond. She was back at it, eating well for a week or so and now she's sluggish again, but not nearly as bad. I talk to her when I go out asking, what gives girl? I think sometimes koi get down in the dumps. Mine certainly does. Will scrape and scope again soon. Our pond water has been 60+ degrees for a month.

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When you say no sign of parasites... did you net her and scrape/scope?

Does she sit on the bottom?

Zagkoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      When you say no sign of parasites... did you net her and scrape/scope?

Does she sit on the bottom?
      Good question and thanks for the responses. No, I didn’t scrape and scope since it showed no signs of being annoyed with parasites. But judging from the last response, I will do that. No, the fish does not ever just sit.

Zagkoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Zagkoi View Post
      Good question and thanks for the responses. No, I didnít scrape and scope since it showed no signs of being annoyed with parasites. But judging from the last response, I will do that. No, the fish does not ever just sit.
      Scraped and scoped and couldnt find anything. I donít know what to do other than just hope? She is still not eating. And moving around a little slower. Still showing no symptoms or discomfort, but just not interested in Food any longer.

Any advice.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is is old and cranky

Feeling:
      Friendly

Your water temp is probably close to mine so over 55*, and if you have no salt you might try a traditional
      shotgun treatment consisting of Proform-C (or alternative is BSDT / Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment) and
      Fluke-M.
      Treatment routine is to do a 20% water change, then treat with Proform/BSDT at the recommended doseage on
      the bottle, then repeat the 20% water change and treatment for a total of 3 consecutive days. On the third day
      when you treat with Proform/BSDT, also add the Fluke-M with the Proform/BSDT treatment. Be sure the UV is off
      and leave the Proform/BSDT and Fluke M in the pond for 7 days.

After 7 days do a 20% water change and see how the fish are. Often times I'll do a second Fluke M treatment
      5-7 days after the last one. If I still see parasite issues I might repeat the whole process with the Proform/BSDT
      and the Fluke M.

Might be an option to try if everything else looks good but they're still struggling.
      --Steve

In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave,
      and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him,
      for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.

---Mark Twain

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

I’m sure someone has had this experience before and can tell me what’s going on. I have a 4000 gallon pond with 9 healthy fish that are eating like crazy. The water is fantastic in that the ammonia and nitrites are reading 0. Nitrates about 40, and kH is about 5 drops. Temperature at 65.
      That being said, there is one fish that has stopped eating and decided to go on a food strike going on a week now. No other symptoms. No flashing, no clamps fins, perfect color, no sign of parasites, breathing normally. It is swimming around in circles enjoying the pond but just not interested in food anymore. The only thing I can think of is if it is pregnant or something. It is a huge 32” female and the body has never look better, like a tank.

Is there something I need to check? Or are these food strikes common?
      LIKE A TANK.

Maybe her innards are starting to press on something were they should not be pressing.

Gluten's can overdo it ,female Chagoi have a habit of overdoing it and keeling over.

Garfield.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

Zagkoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      LIKE A TANK.

Maybe her innards are starting to press on something were they should not be pressing.

Gluten's can overdo it ,female Chagoi have a habit of overdoing it and keeling over.

Garfield.
      I was thinking that myself. Interestingly, this morning she is wanting to eat a little and she eat the food but after one sexond spits it out again. Iím thinking she needs to keep it down sooner than later if she is going to live.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is is old and cranky

Feeling:
      Friendly

Spitting food is sometimes an indication of gill flukes. The Fluke-M should help if that's
      what's ailing her.
      --Steve

In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave,
      and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him,
      for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.

---Mark Twain

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Have you pulled her to check her gills? Gill flukes will often give the gills lamellae a tattered appearance.
      You can check the gills without sedating by gently opening the gill flap and looking at the lamellae. It would be beneficial to see if the gills are in decent shape.

Loss of appetite can be many things. Spitting out food makes me think it is gill related (flukes possibly) or that there may be something in her mouth.
      After the gill check without sedation, I would sedate her and make sure there isn't anything bothering her inside her mouth. A friend had a koi year back that had an infection deep in her mouth.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

Zagkoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      Have you pulled her to check her gills? Gill flukes will often give the gills lamellae a tattered appearance.
      You can check the gills without sedating by gently opening the gill flap and looking at the lamellae. It would be beneficial to see if the gills are in decent shape.

Loss of appetite can be many things. Spitting out food makes me think it is gill related (flukes possibly) or that there may be something in her mouth.
      After the gill check without sedation, I would sedate her and make sure there isn't anything bothering her inside her mouth. A friend had a koi year back that had an infection deep in her mouth.
      Most interesting koi experience so far. Treated with Fluke M Friday night. Checked the gills and they looked fine to me. Sedated per Marilyn and check the mouth, everything looked fine. By Sunday morning, the fish looked on Her way out, didnít seem like she had a will to live.
      Sunday afternoon I decided to give her an antibiotic injection as a last hope Hail Mary Literally five hours later she was actively searching and holding down some food. Then Sunday night i checked on her again and saw something Iíve never seen in 20 yrs of koi keeping. As she was swimming around she threw up and spewed an incredible amount of white stringy substance (like white flesh). I never known koi to vomit. But she did not want to eat anymore after that.

I donít know what this means. Is she getting better? Did the fluke M help or was it the antibiotics.

Anyone seen this before? Found it scary and fascinating at the same time.

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Still loving Red Label!

Feeling:
      ----

It could be internal parasites that she was expelling, as a result of the Fluke-M. To be clear, this is a hypothesis. I tried to google it but kept getting photos and topics on human vomiting and couldn't read any further without having an incident at my desk.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

Zagkoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

well, Iím officially lost and donít know what else to do. Koi still hasnít eaten and looks weak but is still trying. It gets the food but spits it out in whole. ProFormC, fluke M, and antibiotic injection performed with no success. Gills look normal and no blockage or sores in mouth detected.

Question, it has been since Friday night since the fluke M. Do I add another dose? Seems like Iíd be wasting my money and medication at this point.

The other 10 fish are totally healthy piglets.

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

well, I’m officially lost and don’t know what else to do. Koi still hasn’t eaten and looks weak but is still trying. It gets the food but spits it out in whole. ProFormC, fluke M, and antibiotic injection performed with no success. Gills look normal and no blockage or sores in mouth detected.

Question, it has been since Friday night since the fluke M. Do I add another dose? Seems like I’d be wasting my money and medication at this point.

The other 10 fish are totally healthy piglets.
      Rather starve it.

A hungry fish,is a healthy fish.

Fish go without food for a week to 10 days prior to a koi show. Prevents fouling the water.

No harm will be done.

How old is it?

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA