• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seth"s koi pond build

Jammyauto is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by saveit View Post
      Hi,

i'm totaly new here but i saw your progress and your cute dog. What kind of dog ist it?^^

Anyway first of all nice design concept. Do you paied the company only for the design or they also are building your pond? I couldnt get it. thx
      The little retreiver is a Nova Scotia Duck Toller.

This pond is just part of a larger redo of part of my landscaping. I have a landscape architect who desinged all the landscaping and then I paid seperatly for the pond mechanical design. The pond builder is a seperate local contractor.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

those are some big rocks...
      -Tony
      KoiTime USA Vlog
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJY...lOsl9hsezbmzSQ
      1st house paid off at age 36 bought 3/2016 4 years and 3 months

Longfin Lover is offline Senior Member
      is Northern Ponder

Feeling:
      Happy

Following

proudly Canadian

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Exciting day, Iím filling up the pond. It actually wonít get full today. I bought a decent flow meter so I can measure how much water it takes to fill the pond. Iím currently running right at 400 gallons per hour. I started at 11:00am. Should be getting close by 9am tomorrow if I let it run overnight. The dachshund is ready to go swimming
      Name:  4C0CE313-E6E5-4FD5-ABFB-0497175E244A.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  228.3 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is SAD FOR THE WORLDS CURRENT
      SUFFERING

Feeling:
      Crying

Looking good . I suggest that You mark the gallonage as it fills up onto a piece of PVC pipe for reference. Will help with water changes and treatments later

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      Looking good . I suggest that You mark the gallonage as it fills up onto a piece of PVC pipe for reference. Will help with water changes and treatments later
      Thanks ! That's a great suggestion. I'll do it. at least for the top half of the pond as it was half full when you gave me the idea.

catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is SAD FOR THE WORLDS CURRENT
      SUFFERING

Feeling:
      Crying

Quote Originally Posted by Jammyauto View Post
      Thanks ! That's a great suggestion. I'll do it. at least for the top half of the pond as it was half full when you gave me the idea.
      Mark the top half now , then when You do Your next water change, drain just the bottom half and measure how many gallons it took to fill it up .

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

1 month update- I started filling the pond a month ago tomorrow.

Iíve got a setup where I can feed about half of the property irrigation system from the pond. After I initially filled to pond I started to do daily water changes to try to flush out any construction residue etc and to give my trees the deep watering they need at this time of year. I ran everything except the UV filter and I started adding about a cup of ammonia a day. Sometimes every other day. I didnít have any water testing stuff for the first couple weeks so I couldnít really tell what was going on. The water got pretty green and cloudy.

A couple weeks ago I saw this thread and started conversion with Kent about his fish- https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...untry-Koi-Sale
      I had the go up to the Bay area anyway for another reason and these Koi seemed to me to be good starter koi. I didnít want really small fish and I didnít want to start out with really expensive fish. I struck a deal with Kent for 5 of his 6 last Koi. He included a DIY shower filter that he had on his setup. The idea was that this filter would be a ďbridgeĒ until my filtration way fully colonized. So now Iíve had these 5 koi in my pond for a week. So far things are going well. There is still so much I need to figure out. I bought a nice PH meter and my pond is always between 8.8-9.1. I know thatís high but from what Iíve learned Iíve decided not to try to change it. Iím testing daily for ammonia and nitrites and Iím always at the lowest level on the test kit for both. Below .025ppm IIRC.
      Name:  7732BB1E-CC31-4D7B-805A-887C6282156B.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  223.0 KB
      Name:  B63110B8-B7B6-40E2-BF86-DF2B0C6BCEA1.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  267.3 KB
      Name:  910C82D9-9407-454F-B47A-EF2C9BCD5DC7.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  120.9 KB
      Name:  3EF4F606-BEFC-4B7A-9DEE-8F95FBF581CB.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  292.6 KB
      Name:  31103BC0-19F4-400D-8442-22A832BF93DF.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  119.9 KB
      Last edited by icu2; 1 Week Ago at 02:23 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is is old and cranky

Feeling:
      Friendly

Looks terrific!
      I agree with your not trying to mess with the pH. It's more important that it's stable.
      Another important test kit to get is one for KH. Under $10 and especially an important number to monitor when your
      bio filters are coming up to speed

(I'll see if I can fix your link...)
      --Steve

Control your own destiny or someone else will.

---Jack Welch

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Looks terrific!
      I agree with your not trying to mess with the pH. It's more important that it's stable.
      Another important test kit to get is one for KH. Under $10 and especially an important number to monitor when your
      bio filters are coming up to speed

(I'll see if I can fix your link...)
      Thanks Steve, I ordered a KH test kit and I'll start keeping an eye on that as well.

I've only had this pond up and running a month but already I'm thinking about some changes. I have to tools and equipment at my disposal to build pretty much anything out of metal and I've started a design for a stainless steel shower to install behind my waterfall that would take the supply water to the waterfall and feed the shower and then dump it into the waterfall. I can laser cut the stainless steel, do the bends on my brake and TIG weld it but I need to figure out a clever way to hide it. I suggested (to my wife who has the final say in all things cosmetic) building a little wooden "tea house" around it but I'm worried that it might look a little cheesy. It may be a while though on that as I'm not planning on getting any more fish for quite a while and I think my current setup can easily handle these five fish in a 9k gallon pond. First I have to finish the shed around my existing filtration.

Seth
      Last edited by Jammyauto; 1 Week Ago at 10:29 PM. Reason: grammar

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

HI,what coating did you use to complete your pond.

Garfield
      Last edited by coolwon; 1 Week Ago at 08:24 AM.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      HI,what coating did you use to complete your pond.

Garfield
      It's got a base of Sinak HLQ 125 topped with three coats of Super Blockade. The final coat of SB is tinted a dark green/black.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do I need to worry about my KH being to high ? I got a test kit today and it's 15 drops which is off the chart of the test kit. 12 drops was 217ppm if I remember correctly. My PH is 9. Ammonia and Nitrites are at the lowest reading. I'm in Socal and we have hard water. I have a water softener for the house but all my outside water supply comes off my water line before the water softener. Should I consider buying a water softener for the pond ?

The Koi seem absolutely fine. Good appetites and no health issues that are noticeable to me.

is is old and cranky

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Jammyauto View Post
      Do I need to worry about my KH being to high ? I got a test kit today and it's 15 drops which is off the chart of the test kit. 12 drops was 217ppm if I remember correctly. My PH is 9. Ammonia and Nitrites are at the lowest reading. I'm in Socal and we have hard water. I have a water softener for the house but all my outside water supply comes off my water line before the water softener. Should I consider buying a water softener for the pond ?

The Koi seem absolutely fine. Good appetites and no health issues that are noticeable to me.
      No, I wouldn't try and adjust the KH. As your bio filters are maturing they will use KH, so especially on a new pond that's
      still trying to find it's balance, I'd leave it. You can find your ppm by multiplying 17.8 by the number of drops. I've seen
      some ponders maintain their KH at around 300. I would test your source water for pH and KH too, to know what what
      you're adding to the pond during water changes.
      If you haven't seen it, here's a article that might be helpful too:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ns-and-Newbies

and one on pH:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ns-And-Newbies
      --Steve

---Jack Welch

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just tested my source water and the KH is 320. That doesn't surprise me. The PH is 8.4 which is a lot higher than I was expecting. That was with my Trans instruments PH meter which was recently calibrated. I tested it with a API test kit to which indicates at least 8.0 but does not give an exact reading as you have to interpret the color. What would cause the PH to be so high ? This is Santa Barbara municipal water and the primary source of that water is Lake Cachuma. The other source is our desalination plant.

is is old and cranky

Feeling:
      Friendly

Those of us that have naturally low KH add baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to raise it. BS has a natural pH of 8.3.
      A high carbonate hardness (KH) reading is going to be the same. 8.4 is not too high as long as it is stable...
      and with a high KH, it should be very stable. You can test the pH in the morning and then again in the early
      evening to see how much the pH "swings".
      Here's a quote from the pH article I referenced:

Before you consider doing anything to change the pH of the pond or source water, first measure the KH. If the KH of the source water high, there is no point in trying to change the pH. Koi are extremely adaptable and will do well at pH values between 6.5 and 9 as long as the pH is stable. A high KH ensures a stable pH, so just accept that the pH is what it is, and unless you want to go to the expense of using a reverse osmosis filter to lower the KH of the source water, attempts at changing the pH will be either futile or dangerous for your fish.
      --Steve

---Jack Welch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12