• Tired
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What's ripening in your garden?

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I don't know if "shuck" is the right term but whatever you call removing peas from their shell to eat,
      anyone else remember as a kid sitting and doing that for what seemed like hours? I do.
      I did a bunch today that yielded about 1/2 cup of peas and I thought, "Wow, that was a lot of work!"
      They were amazing though.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

while I have never liked store bought peaches I got a bag of saturn peaches with the food the cherokees gave me the other day and they were the best peaches I have ever had not picked straight from the tree.. They were small and white flesh and called Saturn peaches you need too plant a tree of them in your yard,
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

avorancher is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gander View Post
      while I have never liked store bought peaches I got a bag of saturn peaches with the food the cherokees gave me the other day and they were the best peaches I have ever had not picked straight from the tree.. They were small and white flesh and called Saturn peaches you need too plant a tree of them in your yard,
      I have a couple Saturn peach trees, aka donut peach because the seed is so small that they take the shape of a donut or the rings of saturn. There are several varieties of them but most have white meat and very sweet. Our trees are alternate bearing meaning one year they will have a lot of fruit and the next nearly nothing, but we don't get very many chill hours which is usually required to get a good crop.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last few plums of the season..
      Attached Images Attached Images   

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

What is in the little bowl?
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      What is in the little bowl?
      Salt and pepper dip

Fishmover is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Water melon is getting ripe for me, only a few days out

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What is ripening today? How about Brewster Lychees, Wax Jambu (Rose Apple/LianWu), Orinoco Bananas, Blue Java (ice cream) Bananas, and Moringa Oleifera (leaves are harvested, dried and powdered to sell as nutritional supplement).
      Name:  lychees.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  82.8 KB
      Name:  waxjambu1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  59.0 KB
      Name:  oroncobanana.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  69.5 KB
      Name:  bluejavabanana.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  75.8 KB
      Name:  moringa-row.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  116.1 KB

Tony714 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very nice. My lychee is about 3years grafted tree, still too young, it dropped all fruits. Here are my dragon fruit, fig and longan.

Name:  20200828_220913.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  98.0 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images     

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

MONSTER Pawpaws. Has a green skin,yellow sweet flesh,black seeds,grows in hot countries like the WEST INDIES and SOUTH AFRICA.

The race is on to beat the early morning sneaky VERVET MONKEYS.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Tony714. It took 8 years for my Brewster Lychee to give me decent fruit. I have a Sweetheart Lychee also but it dropped fruit this year although we had a decent crop on it last year. Your dragon fruit looks fantastic. I have several dragon fruit vines but snails got them early due to the wet spring. My Longan tree has a lot of fruit but it is very late developing this year... not sure if they will size up and mature before it gets too cool. Like the way you bag the longans, I have to do that to my Asian pears to keep the birds from pecking them.

The previous owner of our avocado grove had planted a number of figs... when we moved here my wife didn't like them so I cut them all down. Now, 18 years later...she likes figs. Fortunately I found some volunteer plants popping up so I'm letting one grow this year. Not sure what variety it is since it grew from seeds but hopefully we'll get some figs next year. With luck they will look half as nice as yours.

Tony714 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

it's hard to grow lychee here in Socal. My brother's neighbor has couple 15 + years lychee trees. I read some where states it must be mature and has enough canopy in order to hold fruits.. I have to wait for couple more years to find out.

Fig grows quick. If you don't like it, it can be good rootstock. You can graft other varieties on it. There are over 350 virierites out there.. its another world that people got hook into it bidding and collecting them. Its fun. I have 5 and I'm trying to get couple more.

I also bought 2 mango trees from HD and Lowes last year. I'm planning to graft couple varieties on them. That will be couple more years.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Tony714 View Post
      it's hard to grow lychee here in Socal. My brother's neighbor has couple 15 + years lychee trees. I read some where states it must be mature and has enough canopy in order to hold fruits.. I have to wait for couple more years to find out.

Fig grows quick. If you don't like it, it can be good rootstock. You can graft other varieties on it. There are over 350 virierites out there.. its another world that people got hook into it bidding and collecting them. Its fun. I have 5 and I'm trying to get couple more.

I also bought 2 mango trees from HD and Lowes last year. I'm planning to graft couple varieties on them. That will be couple more years.
      I don't think Lychees like the low humidity and dry winds much and we get afternoon breezes almost every day in summer, and nasty santa annas in winter. But if I get enough to eat for the family, it is worth it. The lychees and longans from the supermarkets are never as good.

I have a Manila mango which gives me some fruit. Great taste but never much fruit. I planted it too close to the house but now it is too big to move. Just last year I planted an Alphonso and a Glenn mango. The Glenn has fruited already but the tree is still quite small... I should pick them and let the tree get larger. I also planted four mango seeds from mangos I ate from supermarkets. They are all doing well and I plan on grafting them once they get larger.

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anyone else daydreaming about Spring? I turned over some of my Winter crops, it's early but I just can't wait for Spring!

decamagum is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I got interested in gardening recently and our garden used to be unkempt. There was a lonely apple tree and plums growing there. Then quarantine came and I wanted to do something with my garden. I turned to https://www.walshlandscaping.co.uk/s...enhead-marlow/ who helped me put our abandoned garden in order and we planted begonias and roses there. We also planted several more types of apple trees . While they are not yielding crops, but it all looks wonderful now. The garden has become my favorite place to relax.
      Last edited by decamagum; 11-08-2021 at 03:15 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234