• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What size can I expect of a normal koi?

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What size can I expect of a normal koi?

Hello friends:

I know the bigger a koi is the better, but how big can a normal koi be?

Of course if it does not require so much more extra effort & expense I would prefer bigger ones. But I am not yet totally dedicated to optimize my ponds for jumbo koi, so I would be satisfied with good-looking koi that donīt grow bigger than 60 cm.

So I wonder how big your koi usually are, those that donīt grow anymore?

Yes I could have chosen males only, but since I started with tosai I have surely some females. I can see that some of them have rounder belly.

KoiFan84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I’m no expert, but a few things:
      1. Females are better because of thicker body.
      2. Koi from Japanese breeders tend to get bigger than ones bred somewhere else
      3. Some types are bigger than others. Chagoi for instance are one of the bigger varieties
      4 Pond size, great water quality, and great food help
      5. Find a knowledgeable retailer who can look at a small koi and give you a prediction of whether or not it could grow big
      6. As a general rule 3 feet/90 cm is roughly the maximum size, but achievable especially with a chagoi.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I had a chagoi I got as 18" and grew it to 24" in 1 year. If I had kept it I think it would have reached 27"-29" by dec 2020.. if your koi reach 18"-24" you're doing good Simon. Gosanke for example doesn't grow as fast as solids. I have a sakai kohaku that only reached 15.5" from 11.5" from season.

If you're dedicated you'll probably start buying azukari and bring fish back as sansai 70cm+... $$$$

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      I had a chagoi I got as 18" and grew it to 24" in 1 year. If I had kept it I think it would have reached 27"-29" by dec 2020.. if your koi reach 18"-24" you're doing good Simon. Gosanke for example doesn't grow as fast as solids. I have a sakai kohaku that only reached 15.5" from 11.5" from season.

If you're dedicated you'll probably start buying azukari and bring fish back as sansai 70cm+... $$$$
      Hehehe, I must first start a successful business to give me enough €€€ so that I can afford some top quality koi.

Impressive work you have done to give your koi such nice growth. I have not even dared to try, as I cannot handle jumbo koi right now.

My biggest koi are 2 survivors from winter 2018-2019, and to my "horror" they seem to have grown well in my warmed garage this winter. Not measured them yet, but my estimation is 55-60 cm. One of them is a 5-year-old male (ochiba) so it will not be so big after all, but the other is a 4-year-old female (gin matsuba). They are from Japan, so I have some worries that at least the female would grow to 70 cm or more after this summer so that my present over-wintering tank with a diameter of 1.5 m may be too small for her next winter.

My other koi are smaller. They are Israeli and mostly gin rin, so I am not so worried about their getting too big.

Of course my ultimate ambition, when I finally have time (and €€€), will be jumbo koi!!!
      Last edited by SimonW; 04-27-2020 at 03:01 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have been fighting a winning battle against nitrite since I've been feeding 24x a day.. this after this was my reading. There is a slight nitrite reading top pic but ideally you want it at 0. I did a 10% water change and redid the reading and it was good lower pic. I'm just waiting for my watercrest to kick in high gear and help with nitrite levels. All my other readings are good ammonia and nitrate..
      Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have been fighting a winning battle against nitrite since I've been feeding 24x a day.. this after this was my reading. There is a slight nitrite reading top pic but ideally you want it at 0. I did a 10% water change and redid the reading and it was good lower pic. I'm just waiting for my watercrest to kick in high gear and help with nitrite levels. All my other readings are good ammonia and nitrate..
      I have given up the fight against low level nitrite (below 1 ppm), by keeping 0.02-0.05% NaCl (200-500 ppm). I read that 100-fold chloride ion is sufficient for protecting fish against nitrite, as up-take of nitrite and chloride ion uses the same mechanism, and a small amount of nitrite in the fish body is natural. RichToolBox also told me that NaCl protects fish against nitrite. Furthermore, no evidence which indicates that low level of NaCl harms fresh water fish has been found, as I have read in the same (?) paper.

Now I do extra water change only when nitrite has gone above 1 ppm. Life with koi has thereby returned to suffer-able!

Lucky for me ammonia has never been a problem. My pressure filters eat ammonia with great appetite no matter what I do.
      Last edited by SimonW; 04-27-2020 at 04:43 PM.

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you're showing nitrites on an established pond while ammonia is 0 and nitrates are low, I'd guess you are in a mini-cycle from feeding too much too soon, especially since you just recently set up those shower filters with new media. It'll take a while for the bio to catch up. From my experience, nitrites take a really long time to come down to 0 on ponds for some reason. In aquariums I was always fully cycled in 6~8 weeks but with my new pond last year, I showed some nitrite readings for most of the summer despite ammonia being in check. This season so far nitrites are reading 0, hopefully it stays that way.

Are you sure the plants consume nitrites? I thought this was only taken care of by nitrifying bacteria while nitrates were consumed by plants.
      ~ Jose

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nguyen, what is watercrest?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Watercress is one of the most nutrient dense veggies one can consume. It is a little bitter and fibrous.

We enjoy it stirfry with garlic similar dish to water spinach

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Watercress is one of the most nutrient dense veggies one can consume. It is a little bitter and fibrous.

Great, I just ordered watercress seeds, and I plan to do the same thing as you showed!

I just wonder if any birds have good taste for it? Donīt want to attract birds which can spread parasites to my koi :-)

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      If you're showing nitrites on an established pond while ammonia is 0 and nitrates are low, I'd guess you are in a mini-cycle from feeding too much too soon, especially since you just recently set up those shower filters with new media. It'll take a while for the bio to catch up. From my experience, nitrites take a really long time to come down to 0 on ponds for some reason. In aquariums I was always fully cycled in 6~8 weeks but with my new pond last year, I showed some nitrite readings for most of the summer despite ammonia being in check. This season so far nitrites are reading 0, hopefully it stays that way.

Are you sure the plants consume nitrites? I thought this was only taken care of by nitrifying bacteria while nitrates were consumed by plants.
      Thanks for your explanation. For my over-wintering tank it had taken whole 5 months before the nitrite reading finally went down to almost zero. I have been wondering what I had done wrong.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is watercress a floating plant? Where do you put it at?

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      … how big your koi usually are, those that donīt grow anymore? ...
      I think all of my older males that have slowed way down in growth have been in the 22"-30" range, with most 24"-26" (61-66 cm). My older females are 24"-34", with most 26"-29" (66-74 cm). Growth varies a lot and is helped by having a bigger pond, less crowding, more food, warmer water, etc. There are lots of variables. I wonder how much the colder climate where you live will slow their growth. And of course females grow bigger than males on average. In my experience, most of the older females have grown to be about 2"-3" (5-8 cm) longer than the older males and substantially heavier. And as Tony, mentioned, solid colored koi (which are bred more for size and not for pattern) tend to grow larger than two or three colored koi, for which size is less of a factor in the selection process.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiFan84 View Post
      Is watercress a floating plant? Where do you put it at?
      Watercress usually grow in shallow water they cling to rocks and gravels or dirt in streams. If you have a pot or container they'll grow hanging in water...