• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Secrets to training your koi to be friendly

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Secrets to training your koi to be friendly

Here are a few tricks that I have learned to train my koi to be more friendly. What are some of your tricks?

1. Everytime you visit the pond, toss in a few pellets. This allows your koi to associate you with food. They see you, they expect to be fed.

2. After you throw in the few pellets, stick around. You want the koi to see you while they eat.

3. Dont feed too much. A full koi is less likely to come up to the surface.

https://youtu.be/cNchfmzYJag

Interested to see what other tricks you guys have that might be useful for new koi keepers. Feeding koi is probably the most enjoyable part of koi keeping. Cheers.

CALHOUN is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My goal was being able to hand feed them, so in my build I built a spot to hand feed. I found using Manda Fu has really helped with hand feeding. I have several of my fish that will take this food out of my hand. Being close to the water line when feeding really helps and the size of this food makes it easy to hold onto when hand feeding. I just started slowly, by keeping my hand in the water when feeding and then started holding on to it till they take it!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CALHOUN View Post
      My goal was being able to hand feed them, so in my build I built a spot to hand feed. I found using Manda Fu has really helped with hand feeding. I have several of my fish that will take this food out of my hand. Being close to the water line when feeding really helps and the size of this food makes it easy to hold onto when hand feeding. I just started slowly, by keeping my hand in the water when feeding and then started holding on to it till they take it!
      I want to hand feed all my koi also. Soon I hope. Only 2 chagois will take food out of my hand.
      Thanks for sharing your tricks and secrets Calhoun!!

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just stop feeding them.

https://youtu.be/vdxtBT5pkUw

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      ~ Jose

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      Just stop feeding them.

https://youtu.be/vdxtBT5pkUw

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I find it easy to train them coming out of winter hibernation. Slowly introduce 2-3 pellets at a time.

Longfin Lover is offline Senior Member
      is Northern Ponder

Feeling:
      Happy

Pitch a pellet in front of one at the surface to create interest. Pitch another to another fish. Each time pitch to the one closest to you at the surface. Eventually the smartest and bravest will associate this with food from you. The slowest ones will eventually get the idea over time. The idea is to work them closer to you each day.
      Eventually you can hold a handful of food in your closed hand in the water. As one fish comes near your hand in the correct spot...between your thumb and fingers...let a couple of pellets slip out. Repeat , repeat, repeat to those closest to your hand. Eventually the smartest will learn your hand means food and then they will all want a piece of the action. Mine remember every year when the water gets warm. They know when we open the sliding screen on the door, when we walk across the deck, when we walk towards the bedroom window that we are there. They come looking for a handout.

proudly Canadian

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Longfin Lover View Post
      Pitch a pellet in front of one at the surface to create interest. Pitch another to another fish. Each time pitch to the one closest to you at the surface. Eventually the smartest and bravest will associate this with food from you. The slowest ones will eventually get the idea over time. The idea is to work them closer to you each day.
      Eventually you can hold a handful of food in your closed hand in the water. As one fish comes near your hand in the correct spot...between your thumb and fingers...let a couple of pellets slip out. Repeat , repeat, repeat to those closest to your hand. Eventually the smartest will learn your hand means food and then they will all want a piece of the action. Mine remember every year when the water gets warm. They know when we open the sliding screen on the door, when we walk across the deck, when we walk towards the bedroom window that we are there. They come looking for a handout.
      Thanks for sharing longfin lover. That's a great tip!!!
      Last edited by Nguyen365; 1 Week Ago at 12:52 PM.

joe09 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Longfin Lover View Post
      i feed my koi koi crucchies ,they are like cheese dooles .you hold them in the water and they will eat them out of your hand.my grand children love it