• Tired

Thread: Filter pipe sizing

Ijy14 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Filter pipe sizing

Hi All,

Getting very confused about the correct piping to use.

I’ve got this pump already installed (UltraFlow Pump 6000) which says the max flow rate is 6000lph and flow rate of 4750lph at 1m. This is currently running a 4000 litre pond and will need to go up 1.5m.

I’ve got a barrel design and wanted to know which piping would be best.

I was going to put a 1 1/4” inlet and a 2” outlet. Does that seem correct?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't have any experience with your pump, however, I have used similar pumps in the past, you have a low pressure pump so keeping head loss low is critical. Head loss can be considered the total pressure the pump must produce to move the volume of water you want to move. Head loss comes from the static head or total elevation the water must be moved, and the dynamic head or total resistance the water faces while it is being moved. The total distance you must lift the water is from the surface of your pond to the top surface of the water inside your filter barrel assuming the water inside your filter barrel flows down, and assuming the barrel is vented and not pressurized. If the filter barrel is sealed with a lid and pressurized, or if the water is pumped into the bottom of the barrel, than the measurement of lift is higher, and there is more dynamic head.

The dynamic head comes from a variety of sources. The size of the pipe is important, the larger the better. The internal friction of the pipe is important, the smooth PVC pipe is best (stay away from flexible pipe and hose). All angle changes of the pipe is important, keep the pipe as straight as possible and the elbows with a large radius as possible. And remove any resistance at the outlet of the pipe.

If your filter barrel is vented and the outlet flow is gravity back into your pond, than your outlet pipe should have at least twice the internal area as your inlet pipe, and can be larger just to be safe. The outlet pipe should slope directly back into the pond.

Without more information about your actual setup I can't offer much more information.

Ijy14 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for your reply grumpy. My original design is here (albeit looks complicated) https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...er-help-advice

Basically I was going to run 38mm in to a shower and then 40mm outlet to pond and waterfall. I just don’t want to buy all the pipes and connections and they be too small thus overflowing the filter.

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

Sorry, but I think you should rethink your project.

To answer your question, the pump will not work with your plan, it doesn't have the pressure capacity to make it thru your UV and also to the top of your barrel. Reviewing your barrel design, I also don't think you will be happy with the result. I modified your barrel sketch with my thoughts. If you address the flow pattern, the static submerged media will channel and will breed bad bacteria. Access will be terrible, because you will have to remove all those bio balls and clean off the growth from each one.
      Name:  complicated filter with notes.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  118.0 KB

If you search this forum look for trickling tower filters. If you make a short about 2 feet tall, not use the UV, your pump will probably provide enough flow to keep your small pond healthy as long as you keep only a few goldfish. Eliminate all of the flex pipe, use rigid PVC pipe. Use 2" pipe from the pump to the top of the tower, let the water leave the tower directly into the pond.

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by Ijy14 View Post
      I’ve got a barrel design and wanted to know which piping would be best.

I was going to put a 1 1/4” inlet and a 2” outlet. Does that seem correct?
      Upsize to 2" inlet and 3" outlet... you won't be sorry.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007