• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi scrap in microscope żdo you thinks is any harmfull on it?

Seakan is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi scrap in microscope żdo you thinks is any harmfull on it?

Hello,

I recently saw some of my kois flashing to the walls and bottom so I decided to take one an take an scrap to the microscope.
      I do not saw anything harmfull, isn't it? what do you think about it? I doubt in the first 10 seconds where there is some movement, żdo they are costia or just water particles?
      Water parameters are fine.
      thanks so much,

Last edited by Seakan; 1 Week Ago at 04:31 PM.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I did not see anything that I would say was harmful. The movement at first appears to be debris in the water flow, all moving pretty much together. Costia moves very erratically and not necessarily flowing in the same direction.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

What magnification was that at? You won't see Costia at anything less than 400x. They're
      very tiny. I'm with Rich and I didn't see anything moving other than things from moving
      the slide or harmless things.
      --Steve

“First in excellence
      frist in pride"
      --Weeds

Seakan is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      I did not see anything that I would say was harmful. The movement at first appears to be debris in the water flow, all moving pretty much together. Costia moves very erratically and not necessarily flowing in the same direction.
      thanks guys, but we are agree that is not a good sign or normal behaviour that kois flash into walls or bottom right?
      So do this may it be signs of bacteria in water if I do not saw any parasites in microscope scrapes. Im thinking into put some virkon s as preventive. What do you think about it.
      Regards,

Seakan is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thanks,what do you think about koi flashing into pond walls and bottom when there are no signs of parasites. Regards.

Seakan is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      What magnification was that at? You won't see Costia at anything less than 400x. They're
      very tiny. I'm with Rich and I didn't see anything moving other than things from moving
      the slide or harmless things.
      thanks,what do you think about koi flashing into pond walls and bottom when there are no signs of parasites. Regards.

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Seakan View Post
      My first thought would be what are the water parameters. pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and KH would all be important.
      And not to be disrespectful, but an answer like "all the numbers look fine" isn't good enough, because that's often the
      response. Actual numbers are what will help. Another question: Have you added any new fish? Rocks in the pond? Tell
      us more about your pond.
      --Steve

“First in excellence
      frist in pride"
      --Weeds

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The actions the fish are exhibiting are signs of irritation. Irritation can come from parasites, but also from extremes of pH, ammonia burns, large pH swings morning to evening. Get the water tested and corrected if necessary before trying any treatments for parasites. Treatments for parasites can be irritating too, so if the water is not great, the flashing can increase.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

Seakan is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My first thought would be what are the water parameters. pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and KH would all be important.
      And not to be disrespectful, but an answer like "all the numbers look fine" isn't good enough, because that's often the
      response. Actual numbers are what will help. Another question: Have you added any new fish? Rocks in the pond? Tell
      us more about your pond.
      It's ok, the only thing I did 1 month ago was to use algae control powder "green control from air-aqua" non other changes, Im actually just feeding once a day as water is at 12ş Celsius degrees
      Will do 2more tests another test at afternoon an at night. I put water from a well,

Results at 10 o'clock a.m - water temperature 12ş C from Spain, Girona

no3 between 25-50
      no2 0
      high KHş /GH
      ph meter says 8,04

Regards

Name:  ZiMdmme.png
Views: 73
Size:  494.1 KB

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

If you can get drip tests they're usually much more accurate than strips...
      How about NH3/NH4 (ammonia)?
      Even with well water, test it to know what you're adding to the pond. I'm on a well and was surprised at
      how much it can change over the year.
      --Steve

“First in excellence
      frist in pride"
      --Weeds

Seakan is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you can get drip tests they're usually much more accurate than strips...
      How about NH3/NH4 (ammonia)?
      Even with well water, test it to know what you're adding to the pond. I'm on a well and was surprised at
      how much it can change over the year.
      NH3 is 0 I do not have nh4 test.

Same as this morning not much differences. PH is meassured by a digital meter and it differs from the strips meassure. In the pond strips and well strips color seems the same but in the digital meter differs +1,5+ ph

19:00 pm.

12 Cş
      8.12 ph
      No3: 25-50
      No2: 0
      KH: 10-15

Well water levels

14 C*
      6.7 ph
      No3: 0
      No2:
      KH : 20ş+, highter than the pond

My pond is 35.000 - 37000 liters I change arround 4000l per week more or less. this last weekend I changed arround 6000l.
      Last edited by Seakan; 1 Week Ago at 03:01 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I am not seeing anything with the water tests that would be irritating, so it may be in order to do what we would call a shotgun treatment. Our typical is to use a product called Proform C, which is a blend of formalin and malachite green, which is very good for the very small parasites and then treat with Praziquantel or Fluke M for Flukes. Not sure that either is available, but I am sure that there are similar parasite treatments available there.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

Seakan is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am not seeing anything with the water tests that would be irritating, so it may be in order to do what we would call a shotgun treatment. Our typical is to use a product called Proform C, which is a blend of formalin and malachite green, which is very good for the very small parasites and then treat with Praziquantel or Fluke M for Flukes. Not sure that either is available, but I am sure that there are similar parasite treatments available there.
      At 1, a.m parameters been the same, 8,16 ph and 12 ŞC others same colour as the stripes morning /afternoon.
      I was thinking that those last 2 weeks appeared many common brown frogs in the pond, arround 7, 9 which they like to do some orgyies in the pond! Do they may carry some kind of parasites or could they herritate kois?

I got about 400ml of Anti-docktor Antimix which is composed by Acrivaline + Malachite.
      Last edited by Seakan; 1 Week Ago at 08:26 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I know of one hobbyist that tested frogs and turtles and found them carrying parasites, but parasites are always present on fish, just small population numbers that do not bother the fish.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

Seakan is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I know of one hobbyist that tested frogs and turtles and found them carrying parasites, but parasites are always present on fish, just small population numbers that do not bother the fish.
      Hi,

It's incredible but those days once I post in forum and where im paying more attention to the Kois that Im not watching them flashing. What I noticied is that there are less frogs insdide now.
      Will keep watching them an If I do not saw them flashing anymore won't do any threatment.
      Btw what you think about the product of acrivaline + malachine, or Virkon S.

thanks,

Regards,

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have not used acriflavin so not sure how well it works. Virkon S is one of the sterilizers used to clean nets, bowls and other equipment at shows, so not sure how it would work for parasites or injuries.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard