• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Question about Ich Does my Goldfish/Koi have it?

Onit12345 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question about Ich Does my Goldfish/Koi have it?

So the other day I noticed small white looking pimples on my goldfishís head. Iím trying to figure out what it is. From my research it looks like ich but I was under the impression that ich has to be brought into the pond recently and in warmer weather. Then I came across coldwater ich which makes more sense given the conditions of the pond. I live in NY, we are just coming out of winter and the water is starting to warm up. The article said coldwater ich looks the same as koi pox and is always in your pond. It attacks your fish when they are stressed and especially in late winter/early spring. But the photos of koi pox donít look like what was on the goldfish it looks much more like regular ich. I removed the goldfish but have koi in the pond and donít want it to spread to them.

Looking to identify what it is and then I will know how to treat the pond. I did a 25%ish spring water change, all filters were turned off up until now except for a bubbler, vacuumed the bottom that has some leaves and turned on my foam fractionator. Unfortunately my main pond pump broke so Iím waiting for a part before I can turn my main filtration on. I of course didnít take any photos of the goldfish, sorry.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Ich looks like little grains of salt, making it very difficult to see on koi in particular. Your mention of the spots being on the head makes me wonder if what you are seeing are breeding tubercles, breeding stars. Males, both koi and goldfish, will develop these in the spring. Hard to see on most koi, but feeling the cheeks is one of the means of determining sex of koi, and probably goldfish.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Onit12345 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the reply!
      I found a photo of what it looked like. There we about 8-10 in random spots on the head and side of the head area. Non on the gills. Didnít look like breeding tubercles. They were easy to see, white on the orange head. The goldfish was about 5yrs old.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

That picture doesn't appear to be ich, unless that goldfish is very young, ie small. Ich is small enough that you need a microscope to see the actual parasite, but the embedded area will show to be like salt crystals. Other than maybe embedded juvenile anchor worm, which I usually see on fins, none of the parasites show to be big enough to see readily.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard