• Tired

Thread: Question re heating Q-tank

Ronaye is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question re heating Q-tank

Hello fish people,

In my koi pond I have a number of goldfish, one that has been looking near death for weeks now. It's been mainly isolating and hanging at the surface with its tail up out of the water, but periodically cruises off for a slow swim with the others before going back to its preferred spot. I finally got a quarantine tank set up and got him in it at 0.1% salt which I'll raise over 3 days to 0.3%, have ordered some Melafix which will be here Monday, and know I need to raise the water temperature "slowly" - but nothing I read tells me how slowly! He's in 100 gallons which is currently at 45 degrees F. I have a 500 watt heater with the lowest temp being 69, and nothing to indicate how rapidly it might heat. The tank is in an uninsulated garage and it's pretty chilly right now, but I don't want to chance bringing the water temp up too fast and further stressing this fish, which is 15-20 years old.
      I've read it's no longer possible to get medicated food? I believe this to be bacterial, seeing the fish up close I see the upper part of his tail has deteriorated, there are a couple of white lumps on it, not seeing any ulcers, just this weird behavior, nose down, tail breaking the surface.
      Help with the temperature change and any other advice appreciated.
      Ronaye

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Return the Melafix, it does nothing.

We typically move the temp up 3-4 degrees a day. Make sure you are ready with the medicated food as you're upping the temp.
      Salt may help, you can make medicated food. You can also add some like Elbagin in with the salt. As I recall, it's 10 grams per ton/250gallons. You're far better off with Elbagin than Melafix. Check the vendor section, I think Cascade carries it.
      The medicated food recipe is with oxolinic acid. I don't know if he carries the oxolinic acid too:

http://pskoi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=6967#p6967
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

Ronaye is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the info, Marilyn, I'll look into both products. I'm a little leery of buying medications online from an unknown seller, there are so many scams out there. Is the oxolinic acid available without a prescription?
      Ronaye

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaye View Post
      Thanks for the info, Marilyn, I'll look into both products. I'm a little leery of buying medications online from an unknown seller, there are so many scams out there. Is the oxolinic acid available without a prescription?
      Ronaye
      No need to be leery... Billy is a member here and I've bought things from him dozens of times.
      He's in Oregon and will have your items to you quick!
      http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/

http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/O...id-p-1150.html

http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/O...in-p-1169.html
      --Steve

“First in excellence
      frist in pride"
      --Weeds

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      No need to be leery... Billy is a member here and I've bought things from him dozens of times.
      He's in Oregon and will have your items to you quick!
      http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/

http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/O...id-p-1150.html

http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/O...in-p-1169.html
      I'll second that.
      Better to have the right meds from Billy than Melafix. I can't think of a single thing I would use the Melafix for but it smells pretty good, I hear.

Ronaye is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, Steve, if he's an Oregonian, he must be good! (My home state) I am assuming the oxolinic acid he sells as a water treatment is the same as is used in the recipe for medicated food? I have it and the other Marilyn recommended in a shopping cart but am awaiting a response to the query I sent about the Oxolinic acid.
      Ronaye

Ronaye is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A good quality tea tree oil can be therapeutic in many ailments cross species, so I assumed it would help the fish, too. But in this case I'd rather have "real" meds, poor fish looks like a goner and I just lost my oldest, largest koi a few days ago (who appeared asymptomatic.) I was too late to save her so am going all out for this poor little mutt. Big mutt, actually.
      Ronaye

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Thanks, Steve, if he's an Oregonian, he must be good! (My home state) I am assuming the oxolinic acid he sells as a water treatment is the same as is used in the recipe for medicated food? I have it and the other Marilyn recommended in a shopping cart but am awaiting a response to the query I sent about the Oxolinic acid.
      Ronaye
      Yes, and hopefully Marilyn can verify this.... but I'm sure it's the stuff. It doesn't take a lot as it's pricey... but hopefully will help
      your poor guy.
      --Steve

“First in excellence
      frist in pride"
      --Weeds

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, it appears to be the more pure version of oxolinic acid so the values correspond. Just remember you don't have to make nearly as much for a goldfish as you do a koi. It's a good medication to have on hand and is used by the breeders of koi in Japan. Elbagin is too.
      You'll have to work the numbers to fit your situation.

Btw, I know tea tree oil is a benefit for some species but I remain suspect of its use for aquatics. Oils can coat gills which is not a good thing. When I first got into the hobby and was helping my mom with her goldfish, it was easily available even at our local hardware store. She didn't have much luck with it, it produced loads of bubbles in the little pond she had and didn't seem to work very well. Helping her is actually what got me started in this hobby.

Ronaye is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Got a response from Bill (quick!) and it is the same stuff, so I've ordered them and hope the fish hangs on for a while longer to try them out. At least I'll have them on hand pending any further problems with other fish.
      Steve, as I recall you're also in the PNW, how has this past winter affected your pond fish? It's been so mild here I think it's caused more problems than when it's really cold.
      Ronaye

Ronaye is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

and do you ever kick yourself for getting started in this hobby?
      I started with my first little pond in the late 90s and killed more fish than I hate to remember - I hope I'm forgiven for my ignorance!
      Current pond had been nearly worry free for 20 years, but the past year or so I've lost a few beloved old friends despite what tests to be good water quality. Guess that's life, but I still try to fight it, thinking of all those beauties I lost so long ago.
      r

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Three times I raised the temperature from 1 centigrade to about 15 over-night, and the next day I put the koi in plastic bags and let them float in the wintering tanks with 18 centigrade water for >1 hour. It worked fine for all my koi with sizes ranging from 1 cm to >50 cm.

I noticed that during the first hours the temperature rose about 1 centigrade per hour.
      Last edited by SimonW; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:59 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      Three times I raised the temperature from 1 centigrade to about 15 over-night, and the next day I put the koi in plastic bags and let them float in the wintering tanks with 18 centigrade water for >1 hour. It worked fine for all my koi with sizes ranging from 1 cm to >50 cm.

I noticed that during the first hours the temperature rose about 1 centigrade per hour.
      Simon, this is not purely about temperature shock, it is that there are underlying bacterial issues that will quickly overwhelm a struggling fish without medication in the water to at least offset it some.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

and do you ever kick yourself for getting started in this hobby?
      I started with my first little pond in the late 90s and killed more fish than I hate to remember - I hope I'm forgiven for my ignorance!
      Current pond had been nearly worry free for 20 years, but the past year or so I've lost a few beloved old friends despite what tests to be good water quality. Guess that's life, but I still try to fight it, thinking of all those beauties I lost so long ago.
      r
      No, not really.
      It's no hobby for the faint of heart, that is certain though. I've quite enjoyed the journey and having finned friends and a pond to enjoy made some rather dire times exponentially better.

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Yes, I'm on the Olympic Peninsula near Poulsbo.
      We got more snow than usual... over about 2 weeks we had about 12" and it stuck around
      for almost a month. But the fish seem to have been fine... nothing unusual. On warmer stretches
      I usually throw them a few pellets, and they're small pellets so maybe 1/2-1 teaspoon, just to
      give them something to come off the bottom and look at. That's for 7 fish that range from 20"
      to 26". Sometimes they don't eat any and the skimmers get them all... but not allowing them
      to sit on the bottom for weeks or months at a time imo seems to help them not get sores.

Believe me, I've lost my share of fish. I always encourage beginners to not buy many and to
      get ones on the cheaper side because it's a learning curve. I haven't lost one in years from
      something I could have prevented... but you always hate losing one. As I get older I wonder
      if building a two ponds with a connecting stream during the summer months was such a great
      idea, because clean up and restarting the stream in the spring is getting to be a 2 or 3 day job.

Have to include a picture, from 2016...

Name:  spring 2015 1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  359.1 KB
      --Steve

“First in excellence
      frist in pride"
      --Weeds

Ronaye is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh Steve, that is beautiful!! I can well imagine how much work it is, though. I was 20 years younger when I dug my current pond (which takes up most of my back yard) and back then, the "work" was just fun! Nowadays...not so much, although I still love to look at it. But the cleaning and mucking gets harder and harder. Don't know if it's age or all the work that brought on the arthritis But on a good day, it's worth the discomfort.
      How large is your property and how long did it take you to create that masterpiece?
      Ronaye

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Aww, thank you!
      It's on about 2 1/2 acres and it took just over 5 years to do both ponds. I've got more time than money.
      I tried to document them both along the way... both designs changed a lot before the finish and they still
      changed even after being completed... but such is the way of ponding.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...2-s-Pond-Build
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...wer-Pond-Build
      --Steve

“First in excellence
      frist in pride"
      --Weeds

Ronaye is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, very impressive!! and you're still standing upright?
      Well I remember trying to dig that hardpan. I had wanted the pond 6' deep but had to finally give up at 5. We (well, my bro, I gave up!) literally chipped the last foot out with an iron chisel. I can well imagine the work you put into your project. It is gorgeous!
      Ronaye