Thread: Let's see who's ready.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koigrl View Post
      Attachment 615226

stranger than fiction....
      worst case of bacterial disease I have ever seen.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There are twist and turns in this koi breeding but surprises come In the processName:  20210918_130355-1.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  46.7 KB

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Now that IS white - wow!!! Beautiful shine, I can only imagine how nice it looks in person. Congrats Orlando!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well back on post 279 you folks got to meet my unwelcome friend am suspecting there's another visitor this morning went out to feed the koi and right off the bat I noticed skittish fish on my first tank and I picked up on that and started to look for anything I found one of my large females had some scratches to the face and one had a small area on her back now am looking for anything that I've seen before and it's Suttle but it's showing me how skilful these guy's are so it was time to purchase a trap. Let's see what happens tonight, wish me luck �� Name:  20221119_121626.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  300.0 KBName:  20221119_165100.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  204.2 KB

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      ... one of my large females had some scratches to the face and one had a small area on her back now am looking for anything that I've seen before and it's Suttle but it's showing me how skilful these guy's are so it was time to purchase a trap. ...
      Hope you get the culprit that scratched up your girl. You've had success before, but here are some potential problems and how to avoid them ...
      • They may trip the trap from the outside. Setting something to block them from the trip bar such as a cement block(s) on the side and maybe a piece of plywood over the top can prevent that.
      • They may reach through the side to get the bait rather than going inside. Wiring small pieces of plywood to the sides of the cage near where the food sits can prevent that.
      • Keep hoses, electric wires, and anything they can tear up away from the cage where they can't reach out and grab it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Matt thanks for your advice on the critter trap, I rehomed today another critter and stopped at the dollar store on the way home for a couple cans off cat food just in case. OK back to the original subject, here is a picture that shows how much these Shiros change in their first year, all from the same batch, these are 3.5 to 4".Name:  20221124_132941.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  72.6 KB

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Nice ones Orlando!

By the way, if you find yourself accidentally catching domestic cats, jelly is also good bait for catching raccoons (but not cats).

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Nice ones Orlando!

By the way, if you find yourself accidentally catching domestic cats, jelly is also good bait for catching raccoons (but not cats).
      Good to know about the jelly but it's coons (2) and the critter crawling on the pvc pipes, possum (1) people around here have always use cat food as bait so thanks for the tip.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok Orlando, if you were standing in a highend koi store and saw these 7 fish, which one would you buy?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
      Ok Orlando, if you were standing in a highend koi store and saw these 7 fish, which one would you buy?
      I guess your post didn't load the picture's, there's one thing I have to add; you have show koi buyers, you have just regular koi keeper's, beginners in the hobby and all break down people that are trying to breed koi that fall in two categories; flock spanners and folks that are really making an effort to produce higher quality koi, i will say this much about how I make a decision when it comes to a koi purchase first does it meet my requirements as far as what am looking for and is it going to improve what a currently have and that one isn't a guaranteed because like I have said before two great bloodlines may not compliment each other, so try again with your pictures but I have to warn you, my choice might not meet your approval.
      Last edited by Orlando; 11-28-2022 at 07:17 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry Orlando, That was just my awkward way of complementing your success and to potentially get your assessment on which of these was your #1.

I like them all, but if I had to pick only one, it would probably be the one at 9 o'clock, slightly more towards the center. Really, all are very nice!!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry Orlando, That was just my awkward way of complementing your success and to potentially get your assessment on which of these was your #1.

I like them all, but if I had to pick only one, it would probably be the one at 9 o'clock, slightly more towards the center. Really, all are very nice!!
      LOL, OK let me go take a look because that was a random scoop.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The one at 6 and the one behind and the reason for those choices are one to enjoy now and one for the future.
      Last edited by Orlando; 11-29-2022 at 01:34 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I try to go thru these tanks every 6 to 8 weeks to photograph the development of younger koi especially these since it's the second time I have been able to achieve these results and placed a Goshiki next to a Shunrai so the different shades of the beni could be observed then Goshiki by themselves and Shunrai by themselves. Name:  20221203_110827_resized.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  53.4 KBName:  20221203_105957_resized.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  44.8 KBName:  20221203_105548_resized.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  37.4 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, very nice Orlando! Please refresh my memory, these Goshiki are a result of a custom (ground-up) development starting with non-Goshiki parent stock, right? You didn't simply buy two Goshiki and stick them in a tank, right?

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

I really like the goshiki, especially the one in the top photo and the one near the top of the second photo.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, very nice Orlando! Please refresh my memory, these Goshiki are a result of a custom (ground-up) development starting with non-Goshiki parent stock, right? You didn't simply buy two Goshiki and stick them in a tank, right?
      Good morning Sean, I started working with Goshiki on 2011 I acquired a female tosai it wasn't till 2014 that I did my first cross with a male Kohaku from that spawn I kept 2 male's Goshiki and in 2015 I repeated the same cross from 2014 I kept 1 male from that spawn. Waited till 2019 to cross my 3 f1 Goshiki male's to my female kohaku from Tamaura and here we are, but I have one more cross to do and that's with an f2 Goshiki male back to my f0 female kohaku from Tamaura, do you see the pattern here?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      I really like the goshiki, especially the one in the top photo and the one near the top of the second photo.
      Morning Matt, my intention wit that first photo is so people can see the different tones on the beni but I have to agree with you that Goshiki is pretty nice now on the second photo the top one is a Shunrai the thing that variety requires is patience because when young they aren't as attractive as when they mature.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's a good example to watch I told myself when I took the first pictureName:  20221203_105755_resized_resized.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  27.1 KBName:  20210907_153207-1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  72.2 KBName:  20211204_145121-1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  94.5 KB

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

I am not very familiar with shunrai and am unclear on the technical distinction(s) between shunrai and goshiki Orlando. So I may have misidentified the ones I was referring to. I was liking they reticulation of the scales and patterns of the larger koi in the first photo in post #314 and the koi nearest the top of the second photo. What characteristics are you focusing on to distinguish your shunrai from your goshiki?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast