• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see who's ready.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Matt the difference from a Goshiki and a Shunrai is the shade of the beni other than that they have the same attributes, recirculation, Grey and sumi with a white belly but like I said before they don't start to generate attention till they get around 10" to 12" in size. Am going to add two better examples so you can really appreciate the difference in the beni. The bottom one is the Shunrai Name:  20221029_102426_resized.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  45.3 KBName:  20221029_103446_resized.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  48.4 KB
      Last edited by Orlando; 12-06-2022 at 06:20 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Orlando,

The only pattern I see is that you seem to be reducing the "percentage" of Goshiki in the process. I'm probably missing something fundamental. Is the next cross with the "f0 female kohaku from Tamaura" the same female used in 2019? If so, please help me understand the importantance/reasoning behind such a cross.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
      Hi Orlando,

The only pattern I see is that you seem to be reducing the "percentage" of Goshiki in the process. I'm probably missing something fundamental. Is the next cross with the "f0 female kohaku from Tamaura" the same female used in 2019? If so, please help me understand the importantance/reasoning behind such a cross.
      First let me correct myself I made an error when I was attempting to sex my F2 Goshiki, this morning I had to clear my own doubts. I caught that particular koi and found out that I had made an error the last time I was attempting to see what it's gender was it's a female, the pecs and the body shape scream male but the vent is female. OK let's go over some details with a kohaku/Goshiki cross and why I keep crossing with kohaku but first the one factor that anyone attempting to cross with Goshiki must take under consideration; don't know if you remember about 20 years ago when they were referring to a Goshiki as if it was a cut flower because the sumi would take over the beni and completely ruin the koi we'll I asked myself a question; how do I tame the sumi and my logic told me cross with a kohaku and it did after two crosses now with my F2 female I can see the results. With my original Goshiki from 2011 I learned one very important thing and that was that in that bloodline the beni is excellent it got thicker every year and it was able to compete with the sumi. Now you mentioned percentages of Goshiki going down each time I cross with a kohaku, I have noticed on all my crosses the percentages remain about the same with Goshiki having the greater number's then you're going to get, kohaku; Benigoi, Shunrai; soragoi looking one's and Shiro muji I even got an akemi kohaku from my first cross Am being transparent here so the information I have learned can be passed forward so other's can understand better. I think it was back in July I was invited to speak at a koi club during their meeting and I remember some of them saying out loud that they were hearing things they had never heard before and some of them had been to Japan on several occasions, I try to share what I've have learned to help those that are thinking about doing similar things. Now I clearly understand why there are 3 and 4 generations on some of these koi farms in Japan. I didn't answer your question concerning the f0 female yes it the same female that was used before but since now that the tables have been turned around the male all be using lord willing on my next cross it's going to be my male Kohaku from Sakai FF.
      Last edited by Orlando; 12-04-2022 at 04:59 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I guess congrats are in order on your discovery that your F2 Goshiki is female. Yes, the historical knowledge in every successful Koi farm in Japan must be truly awesome. I feel like a fool wandering around in the dark.

I've mentioned before that I've been trying to build up my breeding stock to include Kawakami Goshiki. First three attempts, I kept getting females (in random picks). I now have 3 Kawakami Goshiki females and with the help of Russ Peters two new males this past summer. Unfortunately, the males won’t be ready until spring 2024. So instead, I plan to use some of my male Kohaku in two test Goshiki spawns this coming spring.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sean let me show you what I started with and where am at now 12 years laterName:  GoshikifryDec2011b_resized.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  39.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20221204-091526_Gallery.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  43.0 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's an amazing journey!

The first fish looks VERY similar to the only one I kept from a female Kawakami Goshiki crossed with a Kanno (genetics) Goshiki. I tried to find a picture, but failed. Mine is also very dark and has some decent red showing, again very similar to what you have.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Matt the difference from a Goshiki and a Shunrai is the shade of the beni ....
      Thanks for that Orlando. Now for my really dumb question ... Which one is which?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My friend am going to let you take an educated guess at your question but go back and read post 321
      Last edited by Orlando; 12-06-2022 at 08:11 PM.

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Good to know about the jelly but it's coons (2) and the critter crawling on the pvc pipes, possum (1) people around here have always use cat food as bait so thanks for the tip.
      I've had good luck for coons with a regular old deli roll with peanut butter smeared on top.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Happy new year everyone, we'll this will probably be the last time these little guys get a 100% water change till the show in March. There are two tubs with koi the one with the kohaku those Shiros are 3" to 4" and the other tub are just over 4" to 6".Name:  20230101_135116.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  251.0 KBName:  20230101_140328_resized.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  132.3 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This year's spawning schedule it's going to bring some challenges the full moon in March will be two days before the koi show starts but am pretty excited the goal is to give my Ochibas another opportunity but al be adding a new ginrin male. Name:  20191126_120635-e1576553629272-450x800.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  44.5 KBFemale Name:  20190526_120656-1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  37.1 KBmale #1Name:  5116.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  340.6 KBmale #2 wish me luck ��

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Happy New Year Orlando!

Are you keeping any fish from these two tubs? If so, which ones?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, the ginrin male is very nice (how old is he?)- the female is very nice too!! My wife wants to get an Ochiba, so now I know where to get one next year

Good luck this season!!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Happy New Year Orlando!

Are you keeping any fish from these two tubs? If so, which ones?
      Thanks Sean, from the top one all be keeping the kohaku with the red on the nose and from the bottom one I plann to keep about a dozen so next year all have some nisai to offer at the show but to answer your question I like koi for the future I mainly make my selections based on the skin and the shiroji when it comes to the sumi all I look for it's small amounts of sumi that are thick and inki and that's based on my experience with the female oyagoi. When I purchased her she almost didn't have much sumi her transformation was incredible. Now as far as the ochibas goes I've been told that the lighter one's are usually the higher quality one's but that's going to be my new learning curve for this year hopefully they will spawn. My gut tells me that ginrin Ochiba it's starting his 3rd summer this year.
      Last edited by Orlando; 01-02-2023 at 11:40 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's a good example of how I select Shiros these are 3 male's all only keep the one on the left and the one on the right. Name:  20221204_111537_resized.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  80.2 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The kohaku with the red on the nose looks quite nice. Regarding the Shiros, why wasn't the one at the top selected? I have very little experience with these, so just trying to learn.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The kohaku with the red on the nose looks quite nice. Regarding the Shiros, why wasn't the one at the top selected? I have very little experience with these, so just trying to learn.
      Very good question, during the tosai stage am not concerned with a yellow tint on the color of the skin on the head but at the stage these are you can clearly see who's got the correct shiroji on the head as they get older the skin will thicken and you will end with correct white. The one in the center will become some one's pond grade Shiro when breeding one must stick to the standard of the variety and please don't miss understand me because that koi it's got pretty much everything especially the motoguro and that's something most people look for but if I want to produce very nice koi I must follow the recipe the folks that produced the parents of these koi, I've read their stories on how they got to where they are today and watched several videos on how they cull. It's been a process too get here not as long as the Goshiki but it's also had some ups and downs.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

They don't enjoy these water changes but they will be in green water in about 4 weeksName:  20230102_120947.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  229.7 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you, Orlando. I really appreciate your willingness to help educate me on the art of koi!

Best of luck at the show this season.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, the ginrin male is very nice ...
      That's the first word that came to my mind too. Wow! That's a stunning fish Orlando! I look forward to seeing this one play out.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 ... LastLast