• Tired
  • Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1623242526

Thread: Let's see who's ready.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Matt I have a real pickle here, what female to give an opportunity to spawn? The Ochiba even thou she has her issue and I was thinking the other day how many female's in the wild spawn with issue's like hers, she's eating and acting normal if it wasn't for the lump on her left side one wouldn't think anything was off with that koi I would like for her to leave a legacy am really struggling here with that decision. Then I have no. 5 my Tamaura female kohaku that I could cross with back to her own son that was born here on 2020 to continue working with Goshiki and ad the male Ginrin Ochiba shigure too start a new path and now I have a beautiful female showa that am picking up Saturday morning that would give me a great opportunity to cross her with my male Shiro Utsuri, you know me and full moon cycles and that's not until the 25th of this month I have to make a decision and am just praying that I make the correct one, I just thank the man upstairs that he's given me two weeks to make my decision.
      Always a good strategy.

I would think pairing your female ochiba with that amazing ginrin male ochiba would make some really nice looking kids. But you've got other solid competing options. It's like you have too many good flavors of ice cream and you just can't eat them all! A good problem to have.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Always a good strategy.

I would think pairing your female ochiba with that amazing ginrin male ochiba would make some really nice looking kids. But you've got other solid competing options. It's like you have too many good flavors of ice cream and you just can't eat them all! A good problem to have.
      Matt, thanks for the vote of confidence in the female Ochiba leaving her legacy. All be preparing the tank tomorrow and making sure my green water will be ready for the fry when they need it all post some pictures during the transfer, wish them ochibas good luck. The Goshiki can take a back seat for a while while 2023 results develop.
      Last edited by Orlando; 1 Week Ago at 07:55 PM.
      Koiphen 2023 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In the meantime all share this photo of the two male's I decided to keep to continue my work with my Panda Junior line from Omosako. Name:  20240307_171240_resized.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  70.0 KB These 2 male's will be matched with the female that was produced here back in 2020 with a different female also from Omosako bloodlines and the results of that cross are on post 302 on this thread.
      Last edited by Orlando; 1 Week Ago at 10:31 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well it was a full day had to dump the water from one off the tank's some frog's got in and had a party there were thousands of tadpoles, once ready for new water I moved the water from the spawning tank to the tank I had just rinsed one of the pictures you see is the spawning tank as am moving the water. Rinsed the spawning tank and that one was filled with fresh tap water. This year am going to do something different, once the koi spawn I will move all the spawning material to the other tank that I rinsed today and leave all the remaining eggs in the spawning tank. I want to do two things, first see how high the ammonia gets on the tank with just the spawning material vrs the spawning tank; second I want too compare hatching or fertility ratio on both tank's just curious. On the other pictures you can see the seasoned sponge filters and the culture off green water that's been running now for about a week and a half. I think my first attempt will be next Friday night I think we will be close enough too the full moon. Name:  20240316_131610_resized.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  253.5 KBName:  20240316_132433_resized.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  228.0 KBName:  20240316_132815_resized.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  352.7 KB
      And in between all that I was mowing the backyard it was a great therapy day after the show last weekend.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

... This year am going to do something different, once the koi spawn I will move all the spawning material to the other tank that I rinsed today and leave all the remaining eggs in the spawning tank. I want to do two things, first see how high the ammonia gets on the tank with just the spawning material vrs the spawning tank; second I want too compare hatching or fertility ratio on both tank's just curious. ...
      I'm interested in how that experiment works out.

...I think my first attempt will be next Friday night I think we will be close enough too the full moon.
      Forecasts can sure shift, but it looks like y'all may get rain Thursday night if you factor that in. You know how koi like those fronts.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well got an inch of rain during this morning and temperatures have dropped about 10* was a little concerned with 83* on Wednesday I've done everything I can do for these two up to this point, ran some tap water for about an hour before I brought them in so now we wait. Name:  20240322_182646.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  183.4 KB

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Well got an inch of rain during this morning and temperatures have dropped about 10* was a little concerned with 83* on Wednesday I've done everything I can do for these two up to this point, ran some tap water for about an hour before I brought them in so now we wait.
      Hope it works out for you and these two.

There can be at least a small risk related to mesh coverings spliced together, not far above the water. Not during a spawning, but one night years back I had a small showa jump up through one of the gaps and land on the top of the mesh. I found it dead out of the water the next morning. Since then, I have used more splices to make the gaps smaller. No more casualties.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well it's 1:30pm and nothing I've been trying small changes during the morning I think it's time like Matt says "what flavor off ice-cream to try next" was thinking the female from post 302 with her dad but then I thought came in, I've kept about 20 Shiros from 2023 for another year's worth off growth so I think that I would really like to give that male ochiba shigure another chance so maybe the Kohaku female from Tamaura would be the best choice also allows me to add #31 male Goshiki that was born here in 2019 allowing the opportunity to start an Ochiba shigure line and continue the Goshiki work being that the kohaku is the mother of #31, am thinking that's going to be my path to follow for now I have placed shade cloth over the tank to keep water temperatures down and the koi calm.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well here we go again, took the female Ochiba out and this time am going too try something different I added the Goshiki male before bringing in the female kohaku those 2 male's know each other and my way of thinking the Goshiki participated in a spawn last year in the same tank so I figure he's aware of what's fixing to happen then the female joined the male's in a few minutes all start adding a slow trickle of tap water just to freshen up the water. Name:  20240323_183504_resized.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  182.0 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Matt sure hope you have plenty of popcorn I gave these two nights in the tank couldn't quite figure these out going to place them back in their tank and might give them a week or two and then try them again. Wondering if that large burst of energy that the sun fired friday night or saturday morning can't remember exactly when it was could have had anything to do with these two attempts. The kohaku had moments that I said to myself ok here we go but it was like she wouldn't hit the gas pedal long enough to get going.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Well there should be plenty of time to let them get good and ready.

It is supposed to get down to 35 F tonight. For me, it is usually May and sometimes June. The one time I managed to get a spawn in late April, the fry hardly grew at all for a cool month. Without a heater, it did not help much doing it early.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1623242526