• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Results 121 to 135 of 135

    Thread: Let's see who's ready.

    1. #121
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      935
      Good morning Matt, this is the smallest of the the six females I currently have, I have read that the female carries approximately 100k eggs per kilo she weighs if that information is accurate that would put her around the 1.25 kilos that's around 3lbs and based on the # of egg's that weren't fertilized I would say around 20% this is the largest spawn i have ever had. Am looking at this from a different perspective do I try and raise all of these fry or do I cull half right now and move forward. What would you do?

    2. #122
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      935
      Name:  20210406_094402.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  184.6 KB

    3. #123
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      935
      Name:  20210406_150035.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  84.2 KB
      This is the battle one must stay on top, I think here in the near future will have to set up the 8' tank.

    4. #124
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      935
      When you breed koi, during spawning season that's all you do, take care of the fry. Had a gameplan for today; clean the fry tank. Set up some small vats early this morning to place all the items like spawning material and sponge filters and then the task begun. Moved all the fry to one of my bowling vats and proceeded to drain the tank I removed all the waste leftover from the spawn rinsed the tank with seasoned water from another tank and proceeded to fill the tank Back up I placed the spawning material back in the tank now it provides shade and areas for the fry to graze on and placed the sponge filters back in. If you look at post 119 you can see how the water quality has improvedName:  20210406_201244_Burst01.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  188.6 KB

    5. #125
      Matt24's Avatar
      Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Location
      Oklahoma
      Posts
      1,961
      Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      This is the battle one must stay on top, I think here in the near future will have to set up the 8' tank.
      Do you run a biological filter on the fry tank?
      If so, is it mature or new?

      If mature, it seems like a little of an ammonia locking product now and then for a few days may get you by until the filter catches up and processes any leftover spawn gunk.

    6. #126
      Matt24's Avatar
      Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Location
      Oklahoma
      Posts
      1,961
      Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Good morning Matt, this is the smallest of the the six females I currently have, I have read that the female carries approximately 100k eggs per kilo she weighs if that information is accurate that would put her around the 1.25 kilos that's around 3lbs and based on the # of egg's that weren't fertilized I would say around 20% this is the largest spawn i have ever had. Am looking at this from a different perspective do I try and raise all of these fry or do I cull half right now and move forward. What would you do?
      I guess too many fry is a good problem to have. Maybe I'm a little spoiled having dealt with showa the last few years, just keeping the dark ones after a few days old reduces the numbers 60-80% sometimes.

      I've never crossed Goshiki & Ginrin Kohaku, but I am sure that's quite different, and you probably know better than any. I think goshiki and kohaku look a lot alike when they are small, as the dark areas of goshiki may not arise until they are several inches. Maybe your experienced eye for goshiki can tell sooner?

      You mentioned in post #106, "the Goshiki/Ginrin Kohaku cross am just attempting to produce a couple of ginrin goshiki males that are decent enough to introduce them to my Goshiki in the future". If I recall, I have trouble telling which ones are ginrin until they get to to around the 1-1.25" range. By the time they get to that size, you would have a lot of fish load.

      Are there any characteristic that you can recognize for what you are looking for at a smaller size ... such as an indication of pattern or no-pattern at 0.5-0.75"? If so, maybe you could sort out all the solids at that point.

    7. #127
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      935
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Do you run a biological filter on the fry tank?
      If so, is it mature or new?

      If mature, it seems like a little of an ammonia locking product now and then for a few days may get you by until the filter catches up and processes any leftover spawn gunk.
      Keep seasoned sponge filters that I make my self, their filtering capacity is around 450 gallons per hrs and currently there are 3 running. Wanted to clean up all the waste from the spawn due to the fry numbers being so high. Looking at Goshiki at a early stage one is looking for black eyes, another indicator is a very faint dark line that runs from the back of the head to the beginning of the dorsal at this moment they are to small to see the line, but black eyes are in this group by the drowns.

    8. #128
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      935
      These little fellas are at their stage to start taking powder in addition to the green water I've been adding every day, it works in stages, first the microplancton and a week to 10 days later you can start them on powder.Name:  20210409_213357.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  138.3 KB

    9. #129
      spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Suffolk, VA
      Posts
      142
      Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      These little fellas are at their stage to start taking powder in addition to the green water I've been adding every day, it works in stages, first the microplancton and a week to 10 days later you can start them on powder.
      So, the first 7 to 10 days is only green water, right? What's your setup to produce the green water? Have you ever tried using only powder or yeast instead of the green water in this first stage?

      BTW, fantastic yield!!!

    10. #130
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      935
      Quote Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
      So, the first 7 to 10 days is only green water, right? What's your setup to produce the green water? Have you ever tried using only powder or yeast instead of the green water in this first stage?

      BTW, fantastic yield!!!
      Am afraid that during the first week of their lives they are just to small to injest man-made foods I could be wrong but the plankton seems to work fine and the tank is seasoned so there are all kinds of little bugs and creatures growing on that algae, here's my primary green water set up with very little air with a filter that's completely green and the powder I go to is also included in this post. Am currently setting up the 8' there are just to many this is surreal my guess is any where from 30k upwards.Name:  20210310_164908.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  133.9 KBName:  20210331_091956.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  58.2 KB
      Last edited by Orlando; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:18 AM.

    11. #131
      spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Suffolk, VA
      Posts
      142
      Thank you for the information. I did try to buy the larval ap100 LD50-AQ several years ago, and found it very pricey, so I passed on it. The only place I can readily find it is at Pentair for $50. Do you know of a place cheaper than Pentair? They have a great selection of things, but they are always the highest price.

      Good luck with the transfer to the 8 ft tank. 30K is super impressive. I think my best ever was around 3-4K.

    12. #132
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      935
      Quote Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
      Thank you for the information. I did try to buy the larval ap100 LD50-AQ several years ago, and found it very pricey, so I passed on it. The only place I can readily find it is at Pentair for $50. Do you know of a place cheaper than Pentair? They have a great selection of things, but they are always the highest price.

      Good luck with the transfer to the 8 ft tank. 30K is super impressive. I think my best ever was around 3-4K.
      I purchased one container back in 2019 divided it in three equal portions and vacuumed sealed two of the portions and to the freezer they went, it is kinda high in price but when I look back not so bad 17.64 oz go a long way and I also get it from pentair. The tank is set up and filled but the winds here today were terrible they kept blowing my underlayment for the tank all over the place in the process to put up the shade sail it started raining so all probably finish digging the holes tomorrow when I come home from work.Name:  20210410_190507.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  262.0 KB

    13. #133
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      935
      Well the post got planted yesterday and they took all my energy hit hard white clay at 10" on two of them and went down 24" on all three and on top of that had to leave work early today not shure what my body it's been fighting but it's been a struggle for the last three days, off tomorrow will try and get more rest. But back to the 8' tank and I have to remind most of the folks that have been around this planet like me for a while to be patient and hear me out because this is going to be an experiment and please remember that we are working with fish that are to small to move any kind of gravel. Remember back in the late 60ties to the early 80t's yes am thinking an undergravel not even the spell checker could come up with this one, LOL. I've been pondering as to what kind of filtration I should offer these fry since there are so many. Have lot's of thoughts and ideas and I keep coming back to the undergravel a three foot kiddi witch it's about 6" in depth pool to keep all the gravel contained in one area and remember it's just going to run thru the end of this growing season to that I would add three of my homemade sponge filters Am kinda liking the idea after all of my brainstorming what are your opinions I left to much open for the imagination, remember it's an 8' tank with a 3' and only 6" deep pool being used as an undergravel.
      Last edited by Orlando; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:51 PM.

    14. #134
      Matt24's Avatar
      Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Location
      Oklahoma
      Posts
      1,961
      I don't know if the white clay is like red clay. The red can be almost hard as a rock when dry, but like peanut butter when wet. Maybe putting a few inches of water on top of it and letting it seep in would soften it up and make digging easier. I haven't tried that. I just used a tiller to break through the dry part. But a tiller won't fit in a post hole.

      I've never used undergravel. So I don't know, but it seems like an external filter would be easier to clean if you needed to before you got through using the 8' tank.

      Hope you get to feeling better soon.

    15. #135
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      935
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      I don't know if the white clay is like red clay. The red can be almost hard as a rock when dry, but like peanut butter when wet. Maybe putting a few inches of water on top of it and letting it seep in would soften it up and make digging easier. I haven't tried that. I just used a tiller to break through the dry part. But a tiller won't fit in a post hole.

      I've never used undergravel. So I don't know, but it seems like an external filter would be easier to clean if you needed to before you got through using the 8' tank.

      Hope you get to feeling better soon.
      That white stuff is nasty and the day before we had gotten 3.5 inches of rain I believe it helped. An undergravel that size would only have to be cleaned one time when the growing season would start slowing down but I've been thinking about having to wash all that gravel prior to using it and I think that in itself has made me re-think this whole thing. Pondering with the idea of making an oversized double sponge filter and I mean oversize all post pictures when I get it finished, thanks for the get well wishes

    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •