Name:  20200307_143214.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  136.8 KBName:  20200307_143218.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  107.0 KBName:  20200307_143220.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  70.4 KB

Dear friends:

For about 1 moth ago I rescued some 8 koi from an ice-cold pond and kept them in my quarantine tank in-doors with temperature of 18 centigrade. I put one of my old koi with them for test.

I have never noticed any problem. The koi pox some of them had has healed nicely. So today I started to move them into my main tank so that they can join my precious jewels that have survived last winterīs disaster. The first 7 were all good and nice, until I saw the last one which is in terrible shape: All these lesion on its body, and blood ran out of the lesion when I touched them. But the koi is agile and have been eating well. It has been swimming with the others without a sign of problem.

Indeed some 10 days ago I noticed that this koi was turning red, but since a koiphen-friend told me that this kind of koi will change color during their entire life so I did not look closer into the redness. Otherwise I would have discovered these lesions earlier.

I dread of infectious disease that now have spread to my old koi. May it be some kind of cancer? Or weak immune system so that this koi gets hurt by otherwise harmless bacteria? Or some kind of autoimmune disease?

Water parameters:

Ammonia: 0
      Nitrite: 0.1 ppm (NaCl added to 0.1%)
      Nitrate: 20-40 ppm
      KH: 150-250 ppm (fluctuating slowly over weeks)
      pH: (Not measured as plenty of NaHCO3 has been added all the time)

Thank you so much for your thoughts!
      Last edited by SimonW; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:40 AM.

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The biofilter is a pressure filter supposed to be used for a 15 m3 pond, while the tank is 0.7 m3, and the pump makes 3 m3 per hour.

It seems to be caused by mechanical damages, but I donīt have anything sharp in the tank. I have some fake plastic plants, can they be the cause?

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It does look like mechanical damage -- I would get rid of the plastic plants as step 1.
      Mary

Nguyen365 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are those bird beaks attacks? So sorry simon...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      Are those bird beaks attacks? So sorry simon...
      It is an in-door plastic tank, otherwise I would also have suspected it. Anyway, mechanical damage most likely, probably the plastic plants (they are supposed to be used in aquarium) caused it, though I cannot see how. Then there is the submerged pump and the plastic water inlet - its edge is not very even but the plastic material is very soft (I have tested it by scratching the back of my hand with it). That is all.

Also strange that none of the other koi have any damage. But this is the only doitsu in that tank, so maybe the scale protected the other ones, while this scaleless one has not been so well protected.

Unexpected bad things happen to koi, that is my most important experience during these 3 years I having koi!
      Last edited by SimonW; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:36 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update:

Today I am happy to notice that the lesions have healed nicely. The open wounds have closed without obvious sign of infection.

What I have done:

I put it in a tube with 50 liters of water, aerated heavily and changed 60-80% of the water daily. The new water is from my koi tank with 0 ammonia, 0.1 ppm nitrite (NaCl added to 0.1% to protect the fish against it), and nitrate 10-20 ppm. KH about 10 dKH. Not the best water, but the best I can get.

Lesson: I must always have an emergency solution ready to take care of 1 or 2 sick koi. This time I was not ready therefore the 50-liter tube and the the less-than-pristine water are the best I have for the koi.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Today it joined its friends.

The only thing I can see that could have caused the lesion is a loophole-like handle on the pump. The fish is obviously thicker than the handle, but it still might have swum into it, got stuck and then got all the wounds when it tried to get loose. Now I have put the pump in a filter bag!