• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New Shipment - Fish Swimming Sideways

BrittanyM is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

New Shipment - Fish Swimming Sideways

I received a new shipment of 12 koi in on Friday. Last night I noticed 2 of them are laying at the bottom on their side. I have attached pics. I tested the water and pH is at 7.8, ammonia is in between 0 and 0.25 and nitrites are 0. They are in a 300 gallon tank with a filter and pump that is turning the water over 3 times an hour. What could be causing this? Right now the water temp is about 45 degrees. I have also noticed that the water has a very strong fish smell and none of my other ponds do.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

If the water has a strong odor, then it is most likely high ammonia. Get another test kit for the ammonia, and better yet, add a SeaChem Ammonia Alert Card to determine the toxicity of the ammonia. I would also start dosing an ammonia binding dechlor like Safe, Cloram-X, Prime or similar and dose heavy, as they will neutralize the ammonia, but will be consumed over time so additional doses are needed to maintain safety, and the Ammonia Alert Card will inform you of the need for more.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you. I will get the ammonia alert card and we put in an ammonia lock today.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If we added ammonia lock today should I wait a couple of days to add the prime?

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BrittanyM View Post
      I received a new shipment of 12 koi in on Friday. Last night I noticed 2 of them are laying at the bottom on their side. I have attached pics. I tested the water and pH is at 7.8, ammonia is in between 0 and 0.25 and nitrites are 0. They are in a 300 gallon tank with a filter and pump that is turning the water over 3 times an hour. What could be causing this? Right now the water temp is about 45 degrees. I have also noticed that the water has a very strong fish smell and none of my other ponds do.
      You can see the ammonia burns on that Koi
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Where?

Melinda1102 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If we added ammonia lock today should I wait a couple of days to add the prime?
      Jumping in here I thought Prime was also an ammonia binder someone let me know if I am wrong
      And why are you adding Prime?
      Learn by experience.................Preferably other peoples

htgoldfish is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda1102 View Post
      Jumping in here I thought Prime was also an ammonia binder someone let me know if I am wrong
      And why are you adding Prime?
      Yes, Prime is also a ammonia binder. Safe is powder form of prime so it is cheaper if you need a lot.

htgoldfish is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Where?
      The redness of the tail.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Ammolock can become toxic in higher doses, but Prime is safe, so yes, you can add it to bind more of the ammonia. The Ammonia Alert card will tell you when more is needed.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is what my ammonia alert card is reading along with Ph card. Will the ammonia lock that was added yesterday cause a false reading? Name:  98DB93BD-B7A6-484F-9FD9-5408A3537513.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  36.6 KB
      Name:  7FCF4316-D05E-49C4-A4E5-838A63D0D948.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  24.5 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Ammolock may cause a false positive reading for ammonia, as the standard ammonia test kit measures total ammonia, NH3 and NH4, whereas the toxic ammonia NH3 is converted by the ammonia blockers to NH4 or other non-toxic compound. The Ammonia Alert Card only measures the toxic NH3. The only other causes of the burns showing and in the fins, and the rapid decline in health that I am aware of are chlorine, and if this were a new tank with no dechlor added before the fish, could be the cause, burning the gill tissue, just like ammonia, or rapidly changing pH, ie pH crash. Your tests are not showing a pH crash, but get a KH test kit and measure the alkalinity of the water to assure it is going to provide a stable pH. If this were an outside tank with a good algae growth, the pH could be changing very severely, morning to evening, but I don't see the algae needed to cause this swing, and the readings you have shown are not extremely high or low. A check of the pH early morning and late afternoon should show minimal change in the reading.

Are the fish improving or going the other way?
      Last edited by RichToyBox; 02-27-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much for all your help, I appreciate it so much! When the tank was set up we put in bacteria and a dechlor/ water conditioner. This is the same process we have followed with our other 2 tanks. I will get a kH test and check that as well. The fish are showing improvement, tonight when I went out there weren’t any laying on their side so I am hoping we are progressing in a positive way. We have 4 more coming on March 14th and I’m so nervous about the same thing happening, is there anything you would recommend?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Looking back at the original information, the fish may have been, and I say may have been in thermal shock. When fish cool quickly some will lay over and usually the cure is to bring them inside to warmer conditions, but it also means they have to stay in for the duration of the cold water period. If your tank is much below 60 when the new fish come, use an aquarium heater and some polyethylene sheeting to create a cover over the tank to contain heat and add heat with the heater. But to have had the strong smell, it was a sign of high ammonia, so water quality is of utmost importance.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard