• Tired

Thread: Is my Fry on Track as growth?

Koi Fan10 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is my Fry on Track as growth?

Hey Everyone,

I bought a 125 gallon aquarium tank and decided to put my Koi there due to very Cold weather. and thought it would look nice. The Koi was on
      38-45F water for about 3 month. The next day I brought them in and they spawn in my 125 gallon after two day. It was all a mess and stinky after a couple of day. I had about 400 fry that hatched and I was wondering if my Fries are on track as growth. They average 1cm to 1.5 cm and are about one month. I feed them BBS for the first two week then grounded pellet and crushed flakes. They were relocated to my 55 gallon with a diy trickle filter.

I was looking around on forum and youtube and see that people had massive growth in just one month period compare to mine. On average how long do they get in just one month? I have my temperature set to about 78-79 degree.

Going to be a while until I can relocated my fries as I don't want them to be stunted. (probably is since I only have in a 55 gallon)
      Planning to build be a pond in the summers. I'm in Alaska way to cold atm.

Attached is a pictures.

Thank in advance for the response.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Just keep feeding and keeping the water in good condition and they will grow how they should, I wouldn't worry about the rate of growth too much. To help them out, thin the herd by culling some. Pull them all and start looking at them one by one removing with a deformed body or missing fin. The remainders will then have more to eat with less occupants and the water stays in better condition. In a few weeks do the same culling and start keeping based on your preferences.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow congrats koifan10. Which type of koi do you think these fry will become!!!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks will do.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you, the parents are Kohaku.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Congratulations on your koi spawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Koi Fan10 View Post
      I bought a 125 gallon aquarium tank and decided to put my Koi there due to very Cold weather. and thought it would look nice. The Koi was on
      38-45F water for about 3 month. The next day I brought them in and they spawn in my 125 gallon after two day. It was all a mess and stinky after a couple of day. ...
      Wow, I bet that was quite a sight. I'm imagining them throwing water all over the walls, floor, furniture

Fry grow more in the bigger water of a pond, but temperature is also a big factor too. So you'll probably want to wait quite a while before moving them outside. Fry growth is very slow in water temperature below 60 F in my experience. When to move them is a tough judgement call, involving your weather and the aquarium water quality, among other factors. You've obviously gotten a very early start this year. I find giving them a little finely blended seafood for extra protein helps with growth.

Reducing the numbers as Jim described is a major key to getting good growth. Look very closely for crooked tails, misshapen heads, deformed gills, crooked mouths, bad body shapes (scrawny, dumpy, crooked). This things get a lot easier to see as they grow and you become more practiced at it. The upside of only having 400 instead of several thousand is that you don't have as much of that to do.

Hope all goes well with your upcoming pond build. There are lots of plans and ideas on this site. We'd like to see photos of the parent koi too.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Make a video of the culling process!!!?