• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Came home to 2 dead koi

Essie is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Unhappy Came home to 2 dead koi

Came home to two dead koi- unable to revive. One shed lots of scales between last night and tonight, red on face and yellow cheeks, other one doitsu and looked normal but deceased. Others in tank acting normal. The scaled fish was hyperactive past few days, but couldnít figure out per water testing and treated with prime just in case he was sensitive.. was floating at top of tank tonight.
      NIT-0.5
      NAT-2
      pH-6.5
      KH-20
      Amm- .25
      Treated with Prime 24 hours ago to bind ammonia/nIt and water change tonight.
      Crushed that I killed these fish, donít want to hurt any others. Will increase KH over next few days, anything else Iím missing???

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It does sound like a pH crash.
      I know you get it now but keeping a stable pH by using baking soda is one of the cheapest but most crucial things we can do for them.
      That you've got ammonia and nitrite readings says your bio took a pretty hard hit too.

Bind the ammonia, raise the KH with baking soda. As far as what else there might be, it's impossible to say until the water parameters are back in line. It may have just been that.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

audioenvy is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What is the regular range of pH for your pond?

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My 2 cents:

It is not so easy to get scales off from bigger koi, so I guess that it had bumped into something? So I wonder what you have in your pond.

And please show us some pictures of the dead fish if you have taken any. I am sure that the experts here will see something that you have missed to figure out the cause of the death. I had some dead koi without apparent damage on their bodies, and I figured that their death was caused by either ammonia poisoning or shortage of oxygen as the death happened when the ice had covered the 95% of the pond for >6 months and the dead koi appeared when ice had just started to recede.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      My 2 cents:

It is not so easy to get scales off from bigger koi, so I guess that it had bumped into something? So I wonder what you have in your pond.

And please show us some pictures of the dead fish if you have taken any. I am sure that the experts here will see something that you have missed to figure out the cause of the death. I had some dead koi without apparent damage on their bodies, and I figured that their death was caused by either ammonia poisoning or shortage of oxygen as the death happened when the ice had covered the 95% of the pond for >6 months and the dead koi appeared when ice had just started to recede.
      Unstable pH is highly irritating, if not deadly, to koi. I've seen loads of koi shipments come in from Japan. These koi have been in the bags for 30+ hours at that time and when released into their new tanks, they often breach and flash because of the tank and bag discrepancy. This is a single pH change. Imagine that happening repeatedly during the course of a few days.
      The OP additionally has water parameters indicating the biological activity (ammonia and nitrite readings) also suffered. This often happens when the KH is allowed to drop too low.

Cold water holds a higher 02 level than warm water. I think what you are talking about for your issue is air exchange and off gassing?
      In any case, there is no indication that this situation involves either off gassing issues or lack of 02.
      Last edited by Marilyn; 02-05-2020 at 03:57 PM.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Marilyn!

You have much more experience with koi than I do, and what you wrote about pH makes really sense. I myself have seen new koi to my pond jumped and flashed, and I could not figure out why. Then I did not add any bicarbonate and the pH of the pond water was like 6.5.

I have thought that pH-crash only harms the nitrification bacteria, now I have more respect for it!