• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mink Problem

spkennyva is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Don't know if this would work for mink, but a few years ago our pond was getting cleaned out by a river otter. We set leg-hold traps without luck - actually had a trapper come out a set the traps. We eventually put up an electric fence which totally stopped the otter. We use 3 wires, with the lowest about 3 inches off the ground.

aquascapepondgonewrong is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks spkennyva! I wonder if they are similar. I wonder if I could get a wire real close to the pond where the dogs don't go? My bright idea was to put fishing line around the perimeter to trip him....yes, you can laugh, because so did he and just kept jumping over it, I am sure!
      Andrea
      Fish make me smile

stephen is offline Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry for Raping Your Thread

I don't have any solutions but the title of the thread caught my attention due to this recent video I just watched.

It is incredible how the dogs don't bother the mink and they actually work as a team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB1d18_Xxg0

batman is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very interesting videos. Ended up watching several "Mink Man" videos. He gets bitten by them several times. Looks like if you don't mind a foul smell and getting bitten occasionally they make a good pet.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Slight anxiety while watching so many of them running around hee hee! Lesson: if you can't beat them, make them your pet Thank you!
      Andrea
      Fish make me smile

batman is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

One thing that is amazing is when the water is cold and the fish are moving slow I've seen mink drag a fish as large as themselves out onto the bank. Many animals kill only enough to eat. Mink enjoy the sport and will overkill and leave the prey.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

spkennyva is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by aquascapepondgonewrong View Post
      Thanks spkennyva! I wonder if they are similar. I wonder if I could get a wire real close to the pond where the dogs don't go? My bright idea was to put fishing line around the perimeter to trip him....yes, you can laugh, because so did he and just kept jumping over it, I am sure!
      I think it is "safe" for pets - certainly not something they will mess with twice. I have a very strong fence charger (Parmak Super Energizer 5) and both my cats and dogs have tested it. I've touched it several times throughout the years and it definitely gets your attention. I found the imprint in the dirt where the otter hit the fence, and it definitely caused a "full stop". My small dog found out very quickly not to get close to the fence - it only took one time. Now the only way he will come close to the fence is if we're carrying him. Ideally, I wish the fence wasn't there, but in my area it simply wasn't possible to keep koi without one. Of course, we've had other predators (Blue Heron, Osprey, and Snapping Turtles). Each requires a different defense system, but the e-fence works extremely well for otter (probably for mink too, but can't say for certain).

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      One thing that is amazing is when the water is cold and the fish are moving slow I've seen mink drag a fish as large as themselves out onto the bank. Many animals kill only enough to eat. Mink enjoy the sport and will overkill and leave the prey.
      I agree. A mink got into the pond shop the next town over. Just a mess of dead fish. He just left mass destruction (could be a she too lol)
      Andrea
      Fish make me smile

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
      I think it is "safe" for pets - certainly not something they will mess with twice. I have a very strong fence charger (Parmak Super Energizer 5) and both my cats and dogs have tested it. I've touched it several times throughout the years and it definitely gets your attention. I found the imprint in the dirt where the otter hit the fence, and it definitely caused a "full stop". My small dog found out very quickly not to get close to the fence - it only took one time. Now the only way he will come close to the fence is if we're carrying him. Ideally, I wish the fence wasn't there, but in my area it simply wasn't possible to keep koi without one. Of course, we've had other predators (Blue Heron, Osprey, and Snapping Turtles). Each requires a different defense system, but the e-fence works extremely well for otter (probably for mink too, but can't say for certain).
      You have me thinking...I wonder if it might be like the invisible fence we have for our dogs. Although it is not fun if they go over it, it is not horrible. They learn, and I wonder if the rude critters might learn too. Another great thought, thank you!
      Andrea
      Fish make me smile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12