• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 135

    Thread: Tancho Sanke Issues

    1. #1
      berkokid is offline Senior Member
      is Glad the new pond is
      functional!
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      1,048

      Tancho Sanke Issues

      I am basically writing this purchase off. I received this fish on Saturday late afternoon. The first picture is immediately upon unbagging. You can see the belly is swollen. The second picture is the underbelly of the fish taken this morning. Ulcer or internal tumor I am assuming.

      There is some fin rot on the pectoral fins as well.

      I'm pretty frustrated with this particular retailer.

      The fish is in an elbagin plus .4% salt concentrate on it's way to .5% by the morning. It is swimming normally, but I suspect whatever combination of issues this fish has are beyond treatable.

      Name:  IMG_1959.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  135.0 KB

      Name:  IMG_1966D.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  108.0 KB

      Water temp: 78 degrees
      Ammonia: 0
      Nitrites: 0
      Nitrates: < 5ppm
      kH: 120
      Last edited by berkokid; 01-28-2020 at 03:27 PM.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

    2. #2
      kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      up north
      Posts
      7,861
      So call the dealer and demand a refund.

    3. #3
      berkokid is offline Senior Member
      is Glad the new pond is
      functional!
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      1,048
      well yes - working on that.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

    4. #4
      berkokid is offline Senior Member
      is Glad the new pond is
      functional!
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      1,048
      Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      It's not necessarily untreatable. It could have been injured in shipping (hit the side of the box or _____?) and may recover. I have a hard time fathoming that a dealer would have shipped a fish with an obvious raised belly like that so it makes me wonder if you are looking at an injury. (I do recognize that there are also fin issues you mentioned so the fish could be septic, as well. )

      I would definitely contact the dealer but if you are seeing improvement, stay the course and see what happens.
      yeah i'm not sure if I am seeing improvement yet ... and i'm not at the point where i'm going to euthanize it ... the belly is just so swollen, it's hard to imagine it's not an internal issue that's crept into its final stages.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

    5. #5
      Marilyn's Avatar
      Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      happy in the Heartland! 46071
      Posts
      17,170
      Definitely contact the dealer. Have them tell you what the koi was treated with before it came to you. Hopefully it was for parasites and bacterial issues. I suspect it may not have been.

      One of my concerns is that you have the koi at 78. If that is the temp the koi was at at the dealer, fine, but if not, you may have accelerated this by upping the temp. Parasites and bacterial infections can be treated well at 72 degrees. Holding at 74-75 for 30 days facilitates testing for KHV. Sans testing, that temp range may expose the virus.

      Can you s/s to rule out parasites? The therapeutic of Elbagin and salt is fine but if there is an underlying parasite issue, it won't touch it.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

    6. #6
      berkokid is offline Senior Member
      is Glad the new pond is
      functional!
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      1,048
      Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      Definitely contact the dealer. Have them tell you what the koi was treated with before it came to you. Hopefully it was for parasites and bacterial issues. I suspect it may not have been.

      One of my concerns is that you have the koi at 78. If that is the temp the koi was at at the dealer, fine, but if not, you may have accelerated this by upping the temp. Parasites and bacterial infections can be treated well at 72 degrees. Holding at 74-75 for 30 days facilitates testing for KHV. Sans testing, that temp range may expose the virus.

      Can you s/s to rule out parasites? The therapeutic of Elbagin and salt is fine but if there is an underlying parasite issue, it won't touch it.
      I can scrape and scope. I can also cool down the QT, it's heated. It happened to be a very warm day in Austin today so I got a couple extra degrees more than normal.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

    7. #7
      Marilyn's Avatar
      Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      happy in the Heartland! 46071
      Posts
      17,170
      After you get the info from the dealer, the s/s is the next step IMO.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

    8. #8
      berkokid is offline Senior Member
      is Glad the new pond is
      functional!
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      1,048
      Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      After you get the info from the dealer, the s/s is the next step IMO.
      Yeah agreed.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

    9. #9
      Marilyn's Avatar
      Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      happy in the Heartland! 46071
      Posts
      17,170
      There's no guarantee they will be forthright about what they've done. Few dealers are upfront about their qt processes or actually take the time to qt well.

      Should you find parasites on the s/s, contact them to provide or pay for the medications. Also, see if they would be able to supply you with injectable antibiotics as I suspect that may be needed to bring this koi around.
      The problem, as I mentioned before, is you have to make sure that there isn't a parasitic factor to this.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

    10. #10
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      26,213
      Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      It's not necessarily untreatable. It could have been injured in shipping (hit the side of the box or _____?) and may recover. I have a hard time fathoming that a dealer would have shipped a fish with an obvious raised belly like that so it makes me wonder if you are looking at an injury. (I do recognize that there are also fin issues you mentioned so the fish could be septic, as well. )

      I would definitely contact the dealer but if you are seeing improvement, stay the course and see what happens.
      Absolutely no way this is from shipping. This is an internal infection
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    11. #11
      berkokid is offline Senior Member
      is Glad the new pond is
      functional!
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      1,048
      Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Absolutely no way this is from shipping. This is an internal infection
      That’s where I am too Russell.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

    12. #12
      kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      up north
      Posts
      7,861
      I had a 6" tosai shipped to me and it took 24 hours to arrive. An ulcer had developed on its side and debris in the water.Dealer told me he had personally checked the koi out and it was in excellent condition. Treated and recovered. However it died about a month later. Tosai can be a pain to cure. Best of luck with this one. If it starts to get worse than antibiotics should be used. Ask the dealer his opinion and if he has any antibiotics to send. Better to have on hand as the window could close if you have to wait for them in the future. Dealer might/should send for no cost.
      Last edited by kdh; 01-28-2020 at 04:56 PM.

    13. #13
      kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      up north
      Posts
      7,861
      Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Absolutely no way this is from shipping. This is an internal infection
      yep

    14. #14
      Nguyen365's Avatar
      Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Bakersfield ca
      Posts
      2,580
      Would an antibiotics injection help with this case?

    15. #15
      berkokid is offline Senior Member
      is Glad the new pond is
      functional!
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      1,048
      Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      Would an antibiotics injection help with this case?
      Hard to know until scraped and scoped. But, I’ll be surprised if this fish is alive in the morning.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

    16. #16
      kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      up north
      Posts
      7,861
      Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      Would an antibiotics injection help with this case?
      It could but depends on what the issue is. Every minute counts. Delaying of antibiotics is not a good thing. tick tick tick

      Bacteria can multiply by the millions in 24 hours with the right conditions.

      Here is some good information about bacterial issues.

      https://www.angelkoi.com/bacterial-diseases
      Last edited by kdh; 01-28-2020 at 05:52 PM.

    17. #17
      Melinda1102 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2004
      Location
      Southport, NC
      Posts
      199
      Please do a scrape as soon as you can right now seeing a few locals to me losing fish over costia
      Learn by experience.................Preferably other peoples

    18. #18
      berkokid is offline Senior Member
      is Glad the new pond is
      functional!
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      1,048
      Got a good picture of the fin rot.

      Name:  2B99D786-183E-4657-86E7-AD05FEFC85E3.jpeg
Views: 399
Size:  51.8 KB
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

    19. #19
      berkokid is offline Senior Member
      is Glad the new pond is
      functional!
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      1,048
      Well - I don't have injectable anti-biotics, and this fish is going downhill super fast. I did a 30 minute Oxolinic acid bath because at this point, why not. I'm going to S/S shortly after the kids are asleep and I can dedicate the time.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

    20. #20
      kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      up north
      Posts
      7,861
      Quote Originally Posted by berkokid View Post
      Well - I don't have injectable anti-biotics, and this fish is going downhill super fast. I did a 30 minute Oxolinic acid bath because at this point, why not. I'm going to S/S shortly after the kids are asleep and I can dedicate the time.
      So what did the dealer say?

    Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •