Cool

I didn’t inject there. It doesn’t easily wipe off, its “attached”
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

My guess would be epidermal hyperplasia. Skin immune cells in overdrive to wall off something foreign. In your case likely a secondary viral infection. It's a good thing and will eventually fall off.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPFGs6oA28&t=111s

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      My guess would be epidermal hyperplasia. Skin immune cells in overdrive to wall off something foreign. In your case likely a secondary viral infection. It's a good thing and will eventually fall off.
      I thought of that as well, or rather, likened it to wounds I've had where a clear fluid would accumulate at a wound. I don't understand its appearance there but I don't think it is an issue given the color. I'd log it in the wait and see. Maybe someone else has had it happen before and will share their experience.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Carp pox is a good example of this process.

berkokid is offline Senior Member
      is Glad the new pond is
      functional!

Feeling:
      Cool

I didn't sedate the fish today to turn it over. just did a water change and fed her. she does eat. I still think I see the same amount of swelling as the past 36ish hours. I have two questions:

1) I know every case is different, but generally speaking, how long would one expect recovery from something like this to take post-anti-biotic shots?
      2) Should I go back to the Oxolinic acid baths (or even just use oxo in the QT tank) ... is there any value in that at this point?
      3) How long does my medicated food last (I've found several different threads and articles that have some conflicting info)? Should I go back to using the medicated food?
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by berkokid View Post
      I didn't sedate the fish today to turn it over. just did a water change and fed her. she does eat. I still think I see the same amount of swelling as the past 36ish hours. I have two questions:

1) I know every case is different, but generally speaking, how long would one expect recovery from something like this to take post-anti-biotic shots?
      2) Should I go back to the Oxolinic acid baths (or even just use oxo in the QT tank) ... is there any value in that at this point?
      3) How long does my medicated food last (I've found several different threads and articles that have some conflicting info)? Should I go back to using the medicated food?
      If the injectable antibiotics were correct, and the correct amount, you should be about fully recovered. I would kur not do another course at this point as I have seen too much Baytril turn the insides of a Koi to mush.

I would not pay attention to what you read about medicated food. Make enough for a week and keep it in the refrigerator. At this point, since the Koi is eating, keep feeding it Oxolinic acid food.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

is Glad the new pond is
      functional!

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      If the injectable antibiotics were correct, and the correct amount, you should be about fully recovered. I would kur not do another course at this point as I have seen too much Baytril turn the insides of a Koi to mush.

I would not pay attention to what you read about medicated food. Make enough for a week and keep it in the refrigerator. At this point, since the Koi is eating, keep feeding it Oxolinic acid food.
      Cool thanks Russell. I'm going to let her do her thing now in clean, unsalted, non-elbagin influenced water. There's plenty of cycled bio-filtration to handle the load while I feed her, and the temperature in the tank is controllable. At this point, either she continues to heal and becomes a candidate to add to the pond, or, if she can't make it in quality water conditions, then it's time to call it and euthanize her. I think I've learned about all I can from this experience.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

is Glad the new pond is
      functional!

Feeling:
      Cool

Cool thanks Russell. I'm going to let her do her thing now in clean, unsalted, non-elbagin influenced water. There's plenty of cycled bio-filtration to handle the load while I feed her, and the temperature in the tank is controllable. At this point, either she continues to heal and becomes a candidate to add to the pond, or, if she can't make it in quality water conditions, then it's time to call it and euthanize her. I think I've learned about all I can from this experience.
      Well - that's not true. I am going to monitor that "jelly like substance" on her belly. That's interesting to me to see how that heals / behaves / etc. That's actually what's going to cause me to sedate the fish again ... to check that out.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Well - that's not true. I am going to monitor that "jelly like substance" on her belly. That's interesting to me to see how that heals / behaves / etc. That's actually what's going to cause me to sedate the fish again ... to check that out.
      Try using a mirror under the belly to inspect if you can. I do it all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPFGs6oA28
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPFGs6oA28&t=111s

is Glad the new pond is
      functional!

Feeling:
      Cool

Try using a mirror under the belly to inspect if you can. I do it all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPFGs6oA28
      good video
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

is Glad the new pond is
      functional!

Feeling:
      Cool

I just checked her out. Continuous improvement. The jelly like substance has receded and her scales are now visible. The redness continues to decrease. The swelling remains at bay -- I still think there's a little maybe.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 9.09.53 AM.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  74.8 KB
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

is Glad the new pond is
      functional!

Feeling:
      Cool

Just checked on her again. There is no remaining redness and all scales look normal. She eats whenever I feed her, and she swims much more actively and aggressively. I still think her belly looks a tiny bit swollen, but not out to the sides but rather it looks like she has a little bit of a pot belly extending down vertically. Of course, I've never seen her not super sick.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That’s great news
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345