• Tired

Thread: New TVR Nisai - Courtesy of Thompson Ranchu

Euryth is offline Senior Member
      is A Gosai with Grand Champion
      Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

New TVR Nisai - Courtesy of Thompson Ranchu

Thought I'd revive the Goldfish section of Koiphen lol - they deserve love too! I resisted as long as I could, but the goldfish bug finally bit me. I spent the last 5 months trying to source available Japanese Top View Ranchu (TVR) & was fortunate enough to receive a recommendation to check with Jeff Thompson.

Around mid January, a group of 34 or so Nisai TVR of varying grades was available for purchase and I selected a group of four (sexes confirmed/unconfirmed for some): 1 Red & White male, 1 Lemonhead male with kuchibeni, 1 mostly Red female and 1 Red female. I've decided to raise them as close to the Japanese two-pond method with only airstones, duckweed and encouraging carpet algae growth. They are primarily housed in a half-filled 100g stock tank for the time being, and the second "pond" is my 300g QT where they're floated in a laundry basket. I just bought one of those big blue colanders at a Mega Mart so they'll be switched to that today. I plan to maintain a water level of 10 - 12 inches in both of their "ponds".

I'm still learning about how to be able to tell the quality level of TVR's & familiarizing myself with the terminology. With that being said, if anyone can offer any critiques to help me learn, I would greatly appreciate it!

I'll take video once I get a white bowl large enough to properly observe them swimming.
      Attached Images Attached Images     

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow these are nice

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

So happy for you. They are my favorite goldfish! Best of Luck and keep us posted

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Thank you both! I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to have them as well Jeff still has some available for those that may be interested: http://ranchunotes.blogspot.com/p/sale-page.html My group includes #11, #12, #14 and #18 if you'd like to watch their videos on the sale page for a better look at them.

I haven't bred goldfish or koi before, but I'd like to try my hand at it once spring comes around to get some experience under my belt. I did switch them to the large blue colander yesterday and took some pics and videos of them, but it was unfortunately pretty overcast. I'll try to find a white bowl today to take better video of them during the next water change. For now, here's the video I took:

Mes is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Beautiful fish! I want some in my goldfish pond!

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
      Beautiful fish! I want some in my goldfish pond!
      There still are some nice Nisai left if you're interested, although if you keep them in a deep pond with higher flow & filtration they'll end up with rounded heads and lose their funtan (cute cheeks lol). Apparently, the theory is that goldfish secrete some form of hormone that accumulates in the water over the 4 - 7 days (or sooner if needed) between 100% water changes and causes the wen to grow more. I've read more frequent water changes causes larger bodies but less pronounced wen

Btw, do you have any pics of your goldfish pond? I'm thinking of trying to build one soon, but I promised myself I'd wait until I move later this summer.
      Last edited by Euryth; 01-29-2020 at 03:08 PM.

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice fish.

I have kept fancy goldfish in multiple ponds for a lot of years, but I only have one pond that seems to be somewhat safe for them. Here they are the safest in my 17,000 gallon pond with the larger koi.

Snakes, bull frogs, and once a kingfisher wiped me out of orandas before I even knew there was a kingfisher here.

I just wanted to let you know the fancy goldfish need to be protected by things that may not even effect your koi.
      Nancy

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by koi4u2c View Post
      Nice fish.

I have kept fancy goldfish in multiple ponds for a lot of years, but I only have one pond that seems to be somewhat safe for them. Here they are the safest in my 17,000 gallon pond with the larger koi.

Snakes, bull frogs, and once a kingfisher wiped me out of orandas before I even knew there was a kingfisher here.

I just wanted to let you know the fancy goldfish need to be protected by things that may not even effect your koi.
      I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a rough go of it but glad you found something that works! I've been fortunate to not have many predators capable of accessing my pond, QT and Ranchu stock tank, but I do have everything netted to be safe.

I'll try to get pics and a vid of their stock tank the next semi-sunny day.

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Update - 2/1/2020

I've decided to create an Excel spreadsheet that I can use to log my practices so I'd have a rough guideline of how my feedings and water temperatures interact with water quality, plant growth and fish size. Once I've gathered enough data, I should be able to better pinpoint how often I should be performing water changes by gauging how readily my water parameters worsen daily.

When temperatures are between 45 - 55, I've been feeding 1 cube of red bloodworms per day and testing my water quality before each feeding. The weather yesterday had water temps in the low 40's so I skipped their feeding. I introduced Repashy Super Gold into their diet and alternate between that and bloodworms for their daily feeding. I fed about a 1.5"x.5"x.25" piece of gel during their last two feedings when water temps above 45*F (including today). Before they were fed, I tested their water and my readings were:
      • Ammonia: 0.25

• Nitrite: 0

• Nitrate: 0

At least now I'll know that when temps are 45* - 50*F, should all other things remain constant, I won't see any measurable ammonia until the fourth day. Tomorrow should be mostly sunny with temps in the low to mid 60's, so I'll remove the clear shower curtain that I was covering their tank with so the duckweed can get more direct sun. Some of the duckweed has been turning white, so I suspect the condensation on the shower curtain and overcast weather has impacted their growth.

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Water temps were in the 50* - 55*F range yesterday, so I fed them red bloodworms again and that was probably the fastest I've seen them eat yet. I did test parameters again and ammonia is holding steady at 0.25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. Weather should be around 71* - 72*F today so I pulled back the shower curtain before I left for work to allow for direct sunlight to see if that'll help the duckweed out. I fed them Repashy again today since it cleans them out pretty well, and from what I've read, poop and the balance between deteriorating water quality is at the heart of the Japanese method.

After referring back to Jeff's notes on traditional TVR grooming, I'll have to continue observing them for signs the water is changing from dirty to foul. My hope is that by alternating between red bloodworms and Repashy, I can maintain body condition and promote wen growth in appropriately aged water - thanks to more poop! It'll be a small challenge for me to learn to trust the water more - with koi, if we're detecting ammonia or nitrite in an established system, it's a cause for concern. Going to be keeping an eye out for the beginnings of algae growth

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Update - 2/18/2020

Around the time I had sourced my group from Jeff, I reached out to Genki Koi who had a larger group of imports from Fukami Fish Farm, who is apparently Japan's largest Ranchu farm. I was looking to round out my group to 5 and include a higher quality female with solid conformation and a nice pattern to boot to use as an Oya when I do feel like taking on breeding. I prefer more Red/White patterns, and this girl fits my tastes nearly perfectly.

I've taken two screenshots from the videos (neither high quality - sorry in advance) sent to me of her bowled and a side view to display her back curvature and tail angle. She's more of a reddish yellow-orange (similar to persimmon) color, about 4" - 5" in length, has a long back and it's nearly perfectly smooth along the curve. I'll try to upload the videos to YouTube and will include the links in the post for you all to view as well. She's currently in a 30g tall with the Mostly Red Female (JTF2) for a two or three week quarantine and they've been getting along very well. I've been introducing pellets to both while in QT, but she's been out-competing JTF2 for them, which hasn't been hard since JTF2 has shown little interest in anything other than bloodworms or Repashy .

Mes is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

She's beautiful!

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Here are the two YouTube videos I uploaded from what I'd been sent by Genki Koi. The video quality is SD unfortunately, but once she's out of QT, I'll be sure to take some better pics and videos.

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

The second one:

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Euryth View Post
      Thank you both! I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to have them as well Jeff still has some available for those that may be interested: http://ranchunotes.blogspot.com/p/sale-page.html My group includes #11, #12, #14 and #18 if you'd like to watch their videos on the sale page for a better look at them.

I haven't bred goldfish or koi before, but I'd like to try my hand at it once spring comes around to get some experience under my belt. I did switch them to the large blue colander yesterday and took some pics and videos of them, but it was unfortunately pretty overcast. I'll try to find a white bowl today to take better video of them during the next water change. For now, here's the video I took:

I'm your first subscriber

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      I'm your first subscriber
      Woohoo! Thanks for showing support bro!

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Update - 2/19/2020

Once I noticed JTF2's aversion to pellets, I decided to continue to introduce them in small, frequent feedings so she'd associate them with being a food source. It FINALLY appeared that for their "dinner", she ate majority of the pellets and gave the Fukami Oya a run for her money. I try to randomly disperse the pellets on both sides of the QT tank to give both Ranchu a shot at getting an equal amount of pellets. Looks like last night wasn't a fluke, so I was very proud of JTF2 this morning when she completely cleaned the right side of the tank of pellets lol.

In order to make sure the other 3 from Jeff won't be picky like JTF2 was, I've also started feeding them pellets. They were extremely cautious yesterday and it appeared the boys were the most suspicious compared to the much larger JTF1 lol. When I make the next batch of Repashy, I'll include a few pellets in the mix to let them soak so they'll at least be familiarized with the smell and taste until temps warm up to feed pellets more often.
      Last edited by Euryth; 02-19-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

New Pics & More! 2/22/2020

I skipped feeding the two girls yesterday since they appeared to be a little sluggish so I decided to do a 50% water change for the QT tank today. I tested the water yesterday and detected ammonia and nitrite, which made sense because the water looked off. Since they'd be much easier to catch, I went ahead and "bowled" the Fukami Oya so I could get some decent pics and videos to post. I had to improvise with the bowl and ended up getting a 12-quart white dish pan since I couldn't find anything similarly sized, circular and with flat bottom.

She did pretty great for her first photo shoot lol, even though I was quickly reminded why indoor shots are a challenge with lighting and glare. With that being said, please excuse the glare, as well as my camera losing focus on the Ranchu while she swam.

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Lastly, here's the short video I took of her swimming!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007