• Tired

Thread: Some rescued koi with white patches

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Some rescued koi with white patches

Hello friends:

I have just got some abandoned koi from a pond. They have been in the ice-cold water for 2.5 months. Now they are in a tank in my warmed garage.

I noticed white patches on some of them, and some of them also have cloudy eyes. These symptoms are similar to my previous koi that died in the early spring of 2019 (the most of my koi did not survive last winter and most of them died at the early spring of 2019 when ice started to recede. Therefore I am now keeping the survivors in my garage this winter). So I wonder if these symptoms are typical for damages caused by too cold water? Will they recover? I mean whether the white patches will disappear and the cloudy eyes will be good again.

Thanks for your thoughts!

On the first picture you can see that the orenji koi has cloudy eye while the bekko has normal, black eye.

Name:  20200125 eyes cloudy.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  78.9 KBName:  20200125 White Paches A.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  71.2 KBName:  20200125 White patches B.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  59.2 KB
      Last edited by SimonW; 01-25-2020 at 07:21 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I now realize that these white patches probably are fungi infections due to the reduced capacity of the immune system due to the low water temperature. Just wonder whether the immune system will fight them off when the temperature is 16 centigrade now.

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

If it is fungal, I would treat with a formalin/malachite green treatment for parasites and fungi. The cloudy eye could just be increased slime coat which is an indication of some form of irritant burning the skin, either parasite, pH, ammonia, chlorine, ..., and with the change in temperature, the parasites could be working faster than the immune systems, so again, the same treatment. Check the water for pH morning and evening, KH (like it to be above 100ppm), ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to be sure that the water quality is pristine. The raised areas could also be a virus and the treatment won't touch it, but time and temperature will cause it to go into remission, possibly a couple of times and then not return.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update:

Firstly thank you Richard for your advice! Unfortunately I have not the ability to do medical treatment on fish, so I have not followed your treatment procedure. I have just been keeping good water quality.

Today I when I changed water I took a good look at them, and I see that the cloudiness on the eye of the orenji koi has gone, and the white patches have turn pink. The fish are agile and quite shy.

No Buddy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The white lumps are carp pox for sure. No treatment needed. Harmless for the most part and should go away in time without causing any real health issues.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by No Buddy View Post
      The white lumps are carp pox for sure. No treatment needed. Harmless for the most part and should go away in time without causing any real health issues.
      Thanks! I am now sure that it is koi pox when I read about that it is cold water related. Now all the white patches on those koi have disappeared!

That makes me think that the odd white spot I once observed on one of my koi fries is also koi pox, as it never came back again when I scrapped it away with my nail. Now I have another fry that seems to have got a white spot (it was not there 1 week earlier), and I will see if it will disappear later. The problem with my fries is that the new water is colder, and I donīt have time to do even slower water changes.