• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Winter warm up and sudden death

PRIDEANDKOI is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Winter warm up and sudden death

Hi Everyone. So, we have had temps in the 20's and 30's and then within 2 days we shot up to mid 60's for a day and have now dropped back down to 30's and 40's. On the warmest mid-60's day all of the fish were out and swimming. Early that evening I came outside and saw one of my Koi at deaths door. He had been swimming fine all day, looked normal and then POOF was nearly lifeless and floating on his side. I noticed a very large wound on him at that point. I did not notice this when I was looking at the fish during the day but that doesn't mean it might not have been there. It is absolutely pouring here so I'm waiting for the rain to let up before I trek out and test the water but everything tested perfect 2 weeks ago. All of the other fish seem fine. Anyone have any thoughts or has anyone ever seen something like this before?

As always, thanks for your help and advice in advance!
      Attached Images Attached Images       

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looks like external injury but doesn't look bad enough to kill the fish unless it was a blunt force impact. Did something big fall into the pond?

PRIDEANDKOI is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

No. Nothing fell in. I thought it also looked like an injury but I couldn't figure out how he would have gotten it. With them just waking up it isn't like they're swimming around furiously and likely to bang into anything. Can't figure it out.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I know how the rain is, but the place to start is with the water. We need numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?, pH, KH, and if possible temperature. With this rain, I would guess that you have undergone a pH crash, due to the acid rains we have around here, and the volume of rain. If possible, please do the tests with drop type test kits, instead of strip type tests as the strip type are very unreliable.

As for the wound, it would appear that the wound has been healing, but there is some infection around the perimeter of the wound that would benefit from treatment. My preferred treatment would be Tricide Neo, but some have had success drying the area, spraying with peroxide and then treating with Triple Antibiotic Ointment.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007