• Tired
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Funsize Pond Build

dragonfly1976 is offline Senior Member
      is 행복해Ꮫ
      6;

Feeling:
      ----

Pond looks awesome! Well done. Russ is truly a craftsman with his workmanship. Keep posting us updates so we can see it when finished off. Thanks for posting.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Headache View Post
      I would have went with just 1 Bottom Drain, and why don't you have any Longfin Koi?
      Say what?
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

rayjay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No way would I question the number of bottom drains. Very nice pond, installation, craftsmanship and equipment. Best of luck, nice herd!!

I do wonder when using showers in general or of that size shower implemented here, could the aeration of the bottom drains be eliminated, using simple 6”, 10” 12” shower-type drains. Isn't aeration one of the benefits showers provide? I believe I've seen these in videos from Japan, Russ,..please comment.
      ....."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".....Mark Twain

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's easy to turn off the aerators using a remote control. Now that there's no foam on the water it doesn't really disrupt the view very much with them on, however.

The other benefit to the aerators other than just adding oxygen is it helps pull debris into the drains.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Headache View Post
      I would have went with just 1 Bottom Drain, and why don't you have any Longfin Koi?
      One 3-foot bottom drain was definitely a consideration. We used to have longfins but their long fins kept getting caught in the bottom drains so eventually we just had them trimmed.

rayjay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      It's easy to turn off the aerators using a remote control. Now that there's no foam on the water it doesn't really disrupt the view very much with them on, however.

The other benefit to the aerators other than just adding oxygen is it helps pull debris into the drains.
      Yea, I know and use a remote to control aeration in my pond and there are many threads (pro/con) here about the updraft pulling debris to the BD.

I didn't intend my reply to be a negative on your build, sorry if you took it that way, it was really a question to Russ.
      ....."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".....Mark Twain

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

We are between Hickory and Morganton. Come on over any time!
      Thank you. I am in Winston Salem. I think you may be around an hour & a half NW from me. Maybe a little more not sure. Stop by if you are ever over this way.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
      I didn't intend my reply to be a negative on your build, sorry if you took it that way, it was really a question to Russ.
      I did not take it as a negative at all. I personally don't think the aeration just from the showers is enough. The conditioning and growing tanks I've seen in Japan have LOTS of aeration in addition to the showers. I'm not sure it's scientifically proven to be necessary though.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
      No way would I question the number of bottom drains. Very nice pond, installation, craftsmanship and equipment. Best of luck, nice herd!!

I do wonder when using showers in general or of that size shower implemented here, could the aeration of the bottom drains be eliminated, using simple 6”, 10” 12” shower-type drains. Isn't aeration one of the benefits showers provide? I believe I've seen these in videos from Japan, Russ,..please comment.

Momotaro Koi farm, I think, is largely responsible for the use of showers and they have aeration as well as showers in all of their tanks. One of the things I was told by many breeders in Japan is that, if you can see you fish clearly in the pond, you do not have enough aeration. People tend to underestimate how much they need and, depending on the pond design, the same amount in one pond would have Koi suffocating in another pond. I once got a call from someone who's Koi were dying. I went out and saw that, even though they had streams an water falls, they did not have enough oxygen in the water and, when it got hot, their Koi would die. Their comments were what you would expect, "but we have water falls for aeration", because they did not believe me. I carried dye with me and so I put some in the pond through the water fall. The dye basically sat in front of the water fall and 90% of the pond was still clear. This showed they had real;ly poor circulation which contributed to the lack of oxygen. We installed aeration and they no longer had problems.

The most important thing about aeration in ponds is that it brings the water, from the bottom, to the top surface and allows an exchange that helps oxygenate the water. I think, in the ponds I build, you could leave off the air domes for long periods of time as I build in high turnover rates. I still would not recommend it.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 01-23-2020 at 10:01 AM.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am curious about the location of the pond. At least from the few photos I looked at the pond is away from the house and cannot be viewed/watched/observed? Does the city require some type of fence? I might be worried about someone stealing the valuable koi?

I enjoyed watching the build in progress. NIce

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cottagefog View Post
      I am curious about the location of the pond. At least from the few photos I looked at the pond is away from the house and cannot be viewed/watched/observed? Does the city require some type of fence? I might be worried about someone stealing the valuable koi?
      Good question... I can see the pond from my office window. We are out in the country and the pond is away from the road. It's possible someone could try to steal our koi--but without a seine net they would have to be more skilled than I am!

Name:  Funhouse Property Layout.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  81.9 KB

*NOTE: The blue rectangle represents the location of the pond. The truck represents Russ Peters' truck.
      Last edited by audioenvy; 01-23-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good question... I can see the pond from my office window. We are out in the country and the pond is away from the road. It's possible someone could try to steal our koi--but without a seine net they would have to be more skilled than I am!

Name:  Funhouse Property Layout.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  81.9 KB

*NOTE: The blue rectangle represents the location of the pond. The truck represents Russ Peter's truck.
      Peters...
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Peters'...
      I knew that, sorry. Apostrophe was in the wrong place.

Headache is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry that some of you don't know me.

I'm good friend's with the owner of the Pond and it wouldn't be right if I didn't mess with him a little. lol
      Member : Louisville Koi & Goldfish Society (President), NMZNA (Regional Representative) & Gateway Koi Club

Member : AKJA Senior Certified Judge & Committee Member

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A picture is worth a thousands words....so I see that it isnt exposed to the roadway like I assumed!

So like Paul Harvey always said.....and now you know the rest of the story. Thanks again and enjoy that pond

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by headache View Post
      it wouldn't be right if i didn't mess with him a little. Lol
      agreed!

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The query about aerated bottoms drains and whether the breeders feel a need to use them is interesting.
      Here are a couple of things to consider; the covered bottom drains we see here in personal ponds work well for us and do a good job of encouraging debris into them. The breeders don't have to worry as much about it as their ponds are much more heavily stocked and the fish movement encourages the waste to make it to the grate style. Also, catching koi is easier with the grate style as seine nets don't hang up on our style bottom drains. Apropos for breeders and dealers, less so for hobbyists.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Steve, very nice video and lovely pond. I'm glad you're enjoying it, the koi look very content too.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      Steve, very nice video and lovely pond. I'm glad you're enjoying it, the koi look very content too.
      We wish you had been able to come down at some point! Maybe sometime in the future. You are both always welcome!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We wish you had been able to come down at some point! Maybe sometime in the future. You are both always welcome!
      Sounds like a plan. That looks like a beautiful stretch of land you've got there.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast