• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Possible issue Domestic KOI

Mog is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Possible issue Domestic KOI

First post here but not new to forums at all. I have a newer pond established in the summer of 2019. The pond is built from an aqua scale kit and is about 1200-1300 gallons. Pond was cycled with 10 comets with most of those being eaten by a water snake over the fall months. Domestic Koi were introduced about 1 month after the comets. Koi have been doing great and still appear in great health. However my largest was originally pure orange and has started developing black spots. He is maybe 10-11 long making him still a juvenile. I expect minor color changes, but these speckles have me concerned. The water quality has been very solid with no major spikes or issues since it was first cycled. Attached is a link to a video so you can see my concerns. He may be a $25 domestic Koi, but he/she is important to me non the less.

Im in Dallas, TX if that is of any consequence to anyone.

KC

Name:  F96DBE61-C88B-49D5-97D8-EAFC69F12F00.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  142.6 KB
      Last edited by Mog; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:28 PM.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There is nothing wrong with it other than it is doing what it is genetically programmed to do.
      I think it likely has Sanke genetics and Sanke have some Sumi/black.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was thinking Sumi but I’m not experienced with that. My experience is primarily salt water. Thanks for the confirmation, now I need to sort out his jaw, his jaw gets locked open when he opens it really wide. He can breath and eat well so I’m not too worried. He is a mess!!

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
      I was thinking Sumi but I’m not experienced with that. My experience is primarily salt water. Thanks for the confirmation, now I need to sort out his jaw, his jaw gets locked open when he opens it really wide. He can breath and eat well so I’m not too worried. He is a mess!!
      I have got 2 fries with jaws constantly open. They breath and eat without problem. Hopefully someone konwledgeable can give us an explanation.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I suspect mine tried to bite off more than he could chew. I suspect his jaw accidentally got dislocated. I have not pulled him from the water to check though because I don’t want to stress him if I’m not prepared to fix the problem right then and there. Since he is able to eat and breath I guess he will be ok. A local vet will look at him for $65 which is worth it if there is a solution at this point. But transporting him presents a minor obstacle.