• Tired

Thread: Quarantine procedure

Zaman is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quarantine procedure

Hello,
      In 4 days I will be receiving a shipments 10 adult medium size koi ( raised in tanks/ aquariums not fish farms). They will be up to 15 hours traveling in a plastic bag by car ...we are in a remote area.we received the same way few fish two month ago and those who survived the trip, recovered within few weeks . Unfortunately , there is no alternative .
      I would like to, with our limited resources , minimize the damage upon arival , before I release them to the 8000 liters established pond , with existing 13 medium size fish .
      I have got available :
      hospital tank 500 liters ( water there is warmer than outside pond water)
      Api slime coat bottle
      Malachite green liquid
      Methylene blue ( liquid and powder)
      Salt
      hopefully getting formaldehyde 38% ( illegal here ..)
      Also Potassium permanganate
      Hydrogen peroxide
      Iodine

What sort of concoction can be best done with these possibly ?
      I read the instructions on the forum sticky section about quarantine, 3 days treatment with fmg..
      I didn’t quite understand if I should first do a dip in api slime and than place all fish in the hospital tank for 3 days and let them live in the medicated well aerated water adding each day more fmg .
      Another question is regarding the 12 or 15 mg of malachite .. I only have a liquid form .
      Thank you ,your advice will be very appreciated .
      Lucy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would like to add that I will do the same quarantine procedure you suggest also to the existing population in the pond .before they are added together . The reason being , i see some ocationally jump or “flash” or one fish literally falls asleep in filter stream in bamboo root beds and this morning we found one fish swimming in the pool ,5 m far below the pond (still alive ) .that’s not a good sign . We had a predator bird howeeing around harassing all 4 ponds for days ,but he’s sure gone a week now. I suspect the stress started something . This particular pond is in a different location than our other 3 ponds . Pond readings are good,always same , measure daily
      Kh6-8
      Ammonia 0
      Nitrite 0
      Phhr 7.8-8 ( once a month 8.2)
      Appreciate your opinion and advice ��

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

My approach would be to float the bags in the quarantine tank to allow the temperatures of the bag water and quarantine water to equalize, open the bag and immediately put them directly into the quarantine tank, disposing of the transport water due to high ammonia levels in the transport water. Allow the fish to stay in the quarantine for 4 to 6 weeks to be sure that there is little or no chance of KHV and if there is no flashing, breaching, thickened slime coat or other signs of distress, I would not treat. For the pond, I would go ahead and treat it to eliminate the stressors that are causing the flashing or other signs of distress before the new fish go into the pond. As for the treatment of the pond, I have used PP and actually prefer it, but many like the formalin malachite green formulation better. With the PP, I like to have available a means of measuring the concentration (https://sensafe.com/sensafe-permanganate/ which are available in US and EU, or chlorine test strips {3ppm chlorine = 2ppm PP}) and keep adding the PP as the measured concentration falls during treatment. This allows for one treatment of 5 or 6 hours without having to come back on subsequent days and retreat. Formalin and PP are both expended consuming organics, and with Formalin, there is no test for concentration for continuous maintenance during the treatment. With the FMG solution, the treatment starts with a 25% water change before each of the three doses, where large changes remove organics and free swimmers, making the treatment more effective.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for taking time to evaluate our situation . I will go ahead and come back to you if I have further questions .
      I’d like to add , the butterflies are happy in their new pond, with no bamboo but plants gentle on their fins and it is a pleasure to look at them . We did not have any more fatalities since my last call for help . Thank you

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007