• Tired

Thread: TVR's & Tank Depth

Euryth is offline Senior Member
      is A Gosai with Grand Champion
      Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

TVR's & Tank Depth

I've been thinking of getting a small group of TVR's in the next week or so and have been exploring different options for housing them. I'd been gifted a Thai Ranchu last year and was told that simply floating him in a laundry basket in my pond or QT tank would be sufficient. Should it be necessary, would there be any negative effects on the conformation, wen or tail by housing Nisai or Oya TVR in a 8" - 12" floating laundry basket? I have heard that having TVR in a filtered pond or in deeper water could result in rounded heads and other undesirable traits over time.

As of now, I'm planning on grooming them using the traditional Japanese method, but still thought to ask as I couldn't find any information specifically regarding this method.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

I grew some pet grade TVR in a 300 gallon stock tank...but they were pet grade. The tank was aerated and it was a flow through from the main pond. They didn't develop wens well but are fairly hardy. I leave them outside all winter.
      I probably broke every rule possible with them.
      I did float them in a basket when they were smaller.
      I'm not sure if Ichthius still hangs out here or not, but he would probably be our resident goldie expert.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

Euryth is offline Senior Member
      is A Gosai with Grand Champion
      Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      I grew some pet grade TVR in a 300 gallon stock tank...but they were pet grade. The tank was aerated and it was a flow through from the main pond. They didn't develop wens well but are fairly hardy. I leave them outside all winter.
      I probably broke every rule possible with them.
      I did float them in a basket when they were smaller.
      I'm not sure if Ichthius still hangs out here or not, but he would probably be our resident goldie expert.
      I remember browsing through your thread when you had your group a while back, rain - might take a look again to see if mine are similar quality or not. I'll probably start another thread for them just to revive the goldfish section lol.

I decided to just use a 100g stock tank filled to 10 - 12 inches and am using a Tetra Whisper 100g air pump that I've insulated in a plastic shoebox that's been covered. I'll float them in a basket in my QT tank during the 24 hour aging process for their water changes and then place them back in the 100g stock tank the next day. The laundry basket is this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...White/20854682 and the dimensions are 24 1/2" x 17 7/8" x 10 1/8". I would've preferred using the huge blue colander looking baskets you usually see goldfish dealers floating at koi & goldfish shows, but have NO idea where to find one. Any ideas?

I plan on moving this summer and will build them the proper wooden-framed liner ponds then.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007