• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Anyone in the southwest have this problem?

LoriP is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anyone in the southwest have this problem?

Didn't post in fish emergency because I'm gonna do what I gotta do. I'm just wondering if the weather in my area is contributing. It's too cold to leave filters running because it freezes overnight but the abundant sunshine during the day keeps the pond proper from getting too low. Current pond temp is 38*.

I shut everything down when my filters start getting frosty and there's a risk of lines busting. Everything but air has been shut down since late November.

With the ice that is over the surface except for the aeration hole I haven't been able to see the fish until today which is an oddly warm day and very sunny.

I've got at least two fish that look pretty bad. One I went to net out because I actually thought it was dead. On the one, the pec fins are red. Skin looks red. The one I thought was dead is pale, seems to have a white film and her fins are in terrible shape. Rotting with the normally translucent fins being opaque at the outer edges, swollen, globby outer edges. She's very sick. Water parameters are

Ph 8.0
      Ammonia 0
      Nitrate 0
      Nitrite 0
      Kh 125.3
      Temp 38*

Its seems bacterial but I can't treat with anything I have on hand at these temps so soon as I can get a tank set up gonna pull those two at least and get them warmed up to the point I can treat for bacterial.

I just wonder if this is a common problem for those with winters that get cold enough overnight so you don't keep filters on but isn't getting cold enough to knock out the stuff that makes them susceptible?

It certainly isn't related to the parameters I've tested. Ph is usually 8.2, but I can see the drop with no winter water changes. That doesn't seem to be a crash or a sudden decrease with my Kh where it's at. Everyone was healthy when I shut it down for the winter. The bottom is clean except for a few leaves that have blown in and the water is clear as ever.

Seems to be temp and sluggish immune system problem leaving opportunistic bugs to do their work but I don't really know how to resolve.

Name:  Screenshot_20200115-135219_Video Player.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  124.9 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20200115-135232_Video Player.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  126.1 KB
      Last edited by LoriP; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:54 PM.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

I don't know much about the illness or what may be causing the issues with your koi, but will offer some comments/observations about temperature, pumps, and fish stress.

Koi can be stressed by rapid water temperature changes. Recently the air temperature dropped 40 degrees F in 18 hours. In the surrounding 24 hours, our 12,000 gallon pond dropped 7 degrees F. As one gets further from the oceans, which tend to the regulate temperature, the greater the air temperature tends to swing when fronts pass through. And since you are pretty far from any ocean, I bet you can get some big temperature swings at times.

Making a pond deeper can help reduce the swings, but that's easier said than done. Covering the pond with plastic sheeting can hold in some of the thermal warmth and reduce the chilling effects of the wind.

I keep my water pumps running year-round. When I had smaller ponds and pumps, they would sometimes freeze up at the pump outlet and cause the filter to overflow, but I never had any pipes break. Since I got a bigger pond and bigger pumps, I have not had such a freeze up, even after many years. But you likely have colder winters. So I don't know how it would work for you. Most winters, we don't see any temps below about 10 F, though on rare occasions, it has gotten to -10 F for brief periods, without any freeze-ups.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi. Thanks for responding. What part of Oklahoma? I grew up in Manchester on the KS/OK state line.

I've got 16k gallons and the deep half is right at 6 ft deep. My thermometer is a bobber type that sits about 5 inches down so I don't know what the difference is down in the deep where the fish are staying right now.

We do get large air temp swings during the day. My filters are all above ground and my moving beds will freeze and start spewing out media onto the ground. My tower types make big ice waterfalls in these temps. I do have one pump running redirected to higher level returns that just move the water around the perimeter right now to try to keep more surface area open.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by LoriP View Post

My filters are all above ground and my moving beds will freeze and start spewing out media onto the ground. My tower types make big ice waterfalls in these temps. I do have one pump running redirected to higher level returns that just move the water around the perimeter right now to try to keep more surface area open.
      That's some real good depth and volume, which should help a lot. The filter design probably makes it tougher. My filters are much simpler two stage, with less opportunity to freeze up. We are far to the east of Manchester in the northeastern part of the state.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I got three caught. The two sickly ones and one that has some red fins. They're inside in the QT tank that Bill at Cascade got shipped to me asap on short notice. He's a real blessing.

I filled with pond water then pulled the three fish. Letting the water warm up to room temp. Set up air and a filter with what media i could get thawed put from one of the moving beds. Hoping it catches up fast but have ammo lock on hand

Here's the two worst.

Attachment 598634

Name:  20200119_152142.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  20200119_152154.jpg