• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Alternate daily feeding ration levels produce greater growth in tilapia.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Alternate daily feeding ration levels produce greater growth in tilapia.

Interesting study on tilapia growth and alternating daily feed amounts to promote growth. I wonder if applicable to koi?

http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd31/7/lhlut31113.html
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is something I discovered quite a while ago. I usually did 4-6 days of heavy feeding, one off. Very good for growth and overall health IME.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...51#post2709551
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A carp is almost constantly feeding during the day and into the night. This is the best for koi health in many ways.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      A carp is almost constantly feeding during the day and into the night. This is the best for koi health in many ways.
      Right, so we're borrowing from a food industry fish (Tilapia) and seeing if there are any benefits and/or correlations.
      As I said, IME, when feeding tosai and nisai heavily I found it advantageous to do a day of fasting. It maintained their conformation better than heavy feeding every single day. This would qualify as pushing for growth and is similar to what I imagine they are doing with the Tilapia.

Would fish eat all day and into the night? I'm sure they would but I found it worked well to give them a break from heavy feedings for the reason I mentioned above as well as their health seemed more robust than when they were being fed a lot all the time with a brief break at night.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Carp farms have found it best to feed no more than four times a day for best growth.
      Just one example of koi feeding all day vs once or twice. There are bacteria that live on the gill filaments that take in ammonia and turn it into harmless nitrogen. This is greatly compromised with just a couple of feedings a day vs several. Bio and the balance of a pond is greatly improved when feeding several times a day vs just once or twice. Bacteria love consistency.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't know any carp farms so I have to trust your information.
      What I am sharing is personal experience. Not only did the koi do well with the feedings I as I outlined, my water quality improved. Mind you, this was my grow out tank so it was crowded though parameters were in desirable ranges, the clarity improved, particulates decreased.

I imagine if we switch the conversation to bacteria and bio balance we have to address the water temps, no? You're not advocating multiple feedings into the night in colder temps, right?

Bottom line, Batman, I have experienced the benefits of what you outlined with your post. To me, this is suitable for a fairly narrow range of koi keepers that are looking to rapidly grow younger koi to good size while maintaining conformation, coloring and water quality.
      Fasting a day or two a week worked for me.

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      This is something I discovered quite a while ago. I usually did 4-6 days of heavy feeding, one off. Very good for growth and overall health IME.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...51#post2709551
      I think frostbitez has a similar regimen and his fish are always plump and amazing looking. I don't know how long they'll live but they look great.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      I don't know any carp farms so I have to trust your information.
      What I am sharing is personal experience. Not only did the koi do well with the feedings I as I outlined, my water quality improved. Mind you, this was my grow out tank so it was crowded though parameters were in desirable ranges, the clarity improved, particulates decreased.

I imagine if we switch the conversation to bacteria and bio balance we have to address the water temps, no? You're not advocating multiple feedings into the night in colder temps, right?

Bottom line, Batman, I have experienced the benefits of what you outlined with your post. To me, this is suitable for a fairly narrow range of koi keepers that are looking to rapidly grow younger koi to good size while maintaining conformation, coloring and water quality.
      Fasting a day or two a week worked for me.
      The four times a day was found on a research paper that I read. No more, no less for optimum growth.

No not colder temps. But it would be interesting a few times at night. Would this be a problem for most ponds?