• Tired

Thread: Strange large bumps on body and huge ulcer

jasonnstephjung is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Strange large bumps on body and huge ulcer

Hello,
      I am hoping for some help with this really strange situation, my husband and I do not know what to do. Two weeks ago, our five year old Karasu developed a large bump, like a few of the ribs were broken and like it was about to explode. Several days later, it went away, but then a ulcer started to form. We have pulled him and treated it, but it continued to grow. Today we pulled him again and now he has the same swelling on the opposite side and the area before his tail is swollen and misshapen. He has become lethargic and mostly stays at the bottom, hanging in the water. Any help would be appreciated...is this dropsy? What can we do? I tried to provide some pictures. Scope only revealed one fluke.
      Treatments: kanamycin food and switched to metro food
      Bactine spray followed with Tricide Neo paste or spray
      Perimeters: 1200 gal tank for overwintering. Multiple koi.
      Ammonia: 0.0
      Nitrite: 0.0
      Nitrate: 40
      Ph: 8.3
      Kh: high, well water over 200

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't know the cause of the stripping of the scales in that one ulcerated area. Looks like it might have gotten caught in a skimmer basket, trapped against an unprotected intake for a pump or caught between some plumbing and the side of the isolation tank. It doesn't show a lot of infection yet, but being open like that I would expect a bacterial infection. I would, to prevent dropsy caused by the ability of water to enter the fish through the wound, causing bloating (dropsy), bring the salt content to a value of 0.6 to 0.8% and maintain that level until healing is well under way. I would also treat the wounds with iodine, tricide neo as a spray for three treatments, and continue to maintain excellent water quality. Look for anything that could have stripped the scales and remove/treat appropriately.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

No Buddy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

xxxxxxx
      Last edited by No Buddy; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:49 PM.

jasonnstephjung is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      I don't know the cause of the stripping of the scales in that one ulcerated area. Looks like it might have gotten caught in a skimmer basket, trapped against an unprotected intake for a pump or caught between some plumbing and the side of the isolation tank. It doesn't show a lot of infection yet, but being open like that I would expect a bacterial infection. I would, to prevent dropsy caused by the ability of water to enter the fish through the wound, causing bloating (dropsy), bring the salt content to a value of 0.6 to 0.8% and maintain that level until healing is well under way. I would also treat the wounds with iodine, tricide neo as a spray for three treatments, and continue to maintain excellent water quality. Look for anything that could have stripped the scales and remove/treat appropriately.
      Thank you for your help! We have two other koi that have been biting at the Karasu's ulcer, so I think that may be why it looks ragged. And, unfortunately, we do not have a quarantine tank to use. It may be that edges on inlets caused this. We cleaned the ulcer as you suggested, but noticed today that the bump on his tail has lost all of its scales and is starting to ulcerate as well. He has also developed another bump on the opposite side of his tail and it is so swollen that he is having difficulty swimming and he has stopped eating. We started adding salt (4lbs every 8 hours) and are currently at .17. Is it possible to add it faster?